Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Vurnakes
AF Newbie

First NICE car.

I am in the market for buying a new car for my youngest son. He will be turning 18 and has been driving for many years now. He has been driving a Honda Accord sedan. He hates the car. For his birthday I want to give him a new car. He has saved 20k already but that is not enough so I have decided to help him out. The cars he is interested in are: Mazda RX-8, Pontiac GTO, Infiniti G35, Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000 and my Yukon XL. I have driven SUV's due to my job all my life and have stayed in the GM family. I will not buy a ford though. I do not know much about these cars. Please inform me of how they're reliabilty, gas economy, saftey, and comfort in intererors is. I am also open to any suggestions of other cars. (concerning speed, i trust him, so that is not a factor). Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Vurnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Vurnakes
AF Newbie

Re: First NICE car.

just add, I have researced these vehicles but i have found in the past that the car company's websites aren't always completly true
Old 09-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

As far as comfort it all depends on what you're used to and how big you are. Check out Consumer Reports for the most acurate info on safety, fuel economy and the like.
Andydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
SuperHighOutput
AF Enthusiast

Unless he's dead set on an RX-8, the others are better cars, and personally I love the RX-8, but the rotary tends to use a lot of oil, gets rather poor gas milage considering it's output, and reliability is questionable. The S2000 is a great car, but lacks torque and low-end power, however I understand it handles very well and it's a Honda. The G35 is a great car, as well as the 350Z, but the G35 just seems to be a step up from the 350Z in terms of luxury and overall quality, but you pay for it. The Yukon XL is a good vehicle, but I don't see why an 18 year old would need a Suburban. The GTO is awesome, and is quite fast, but insurance will be very high. The interior is very nice one of GM's best, and overall quality is very good. All of them will be safe, pretty much every new car on the road is safe these days. Out of the choices I'd go with GTO. It screams badass, which is perfect for an 18 year old, as long as he can control his right foot. You might also look at a Lexus IS300, BMW 3-series, and Acura TSX.

On a side note I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports reliability ratings, many people myself included feel that they are biased against American cars and biased for certain brands, and I'm a multiple time and current owner of a Japanese vehicle.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
Zachp911
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: First NICE car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHighOutput
Unless he's dead set on an RX-8, the others are better cars, and personally I love the RX-8, but the rotary tends to use a lot of oil, gets rather poor gas milage considering it's output, and reliability is questionable. The S2000 is a great car, but lacks torque and low-end power, however I understand it handles very well and it's a Honda. The G35 is a great car, as well as the 350Z, but the G35 just seems to be a step up from the 350Z in terms of luxury and overall quality, but you pay for it. The Yukon XL is a good vehicle, but I don't see why an 18 year old would need a Suburban. The GTO is awesome, and is quite fast, but insurance will be very high. The interior is very nice one of GM's best, and overall quality is very good. All of them will be safe, pretty much every new car on the road is safe these days. Out of the choices I'd go with GTO. It screams badass, which is perfect for an 18 year old, as long as he can control his right foot. You might also look at a Lexus IS300, BMW 3-series, and Acura TSX.

On a side note I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports reliability ratings, many people myself included feel that they are biased against American cars and biased for certain brands, and I'm a multiple time and current owner of a Japanese vehicle.

My choice would be the G35 Coupe. Luxurious yet sporty, has plenty of power for an 18 year old, good quality car, and last... the car is just plain sexy.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR

G35 Coupe is a great car....

I like the TSX as mentioned also...

NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

I definitely would take the G35. the sport coupe with the aero kit is sexy as all hell and it cranks out 300 hp.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Yep. I like the G35. Yukon's reliability can't hold a candle to it. GTOs make me yawn. Sure, its fast, but its a GM and it looks about as exciting as a Prius to me. Don't get me wrong... I've owned 9 GMs, even worked for GM, but they're my last choice for engineering. No offense intended.

I like the 350, but why not step up to the G35. Same thing, better leather.

S2000 is a truly race-style car. It has a small engine with impressive power, but you have to rev it to 8000 to get it. VERY frustrating on the street and in traffic, but I'm used to 454s, 455s, and the occasional Caddy 500. I'm all about torque In my opinion, the 2000 is not enough car for the cash.

I also agree with SuperHighOutput; the BMWs are amazing cars. The engineering that goes into them is incredible, the tuning is spot-on, and the new M3 is reportedly going to have the 4.0L V8. Wicked fast, whisper quiet, and chassis engineering that can't be beat.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
Vurnakes
AF Newbie

Thank you for all of the imput. I've called my insurance agent and was asking prices. This blew me away: it is cheaper to insure a 2005 GTO than it is a Acura RSX type s. anyways my son is going to college and he doesn't want my huge yukon so that is out of the question. He loves the GTO but I personally think that its horrible gas millage makes it impracticle. I asked him what his favorite car would be besides the GTO, he would like a G35, however, this car is quite pricey. even used ones run around 30k. this is just a little out of my price range
Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Just to add... you remind me a lot of my father. He trusted me with anything and knew I was a good driver, but on a teacher's salary the best he could do was an 83 Chevy Celebrity He made up for it, though. My college grad gift was a new 96 Impala SS
Old 09-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #11
Zachp911
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: First NICE car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vurnakes
Thank you for all of the imput. I've called my insurance agent and was asking prices. This blew me away: it is cheaper to insure a 2005 GTO than it is a Acura RSX type s. anyways my son is going to college and he doesn't want my huge yukon so that is out of the question. He loves the GTO but I personally think that its horrible gas millage makes it impracticle. I asked him what his favorite car would be besides the GTO, he would like a G35, however, this car is quite pricey. even used ones run around 30k. this is just a little out of my price range
So the Yukon, GTO and G35 are out of the picture.

Hmm... I guess the S2000 would be a wise choice then, they're cheap, sporty and very quick. Of course, the S2000 lacks torque compared to the other cars mentioned, but a few bolt-on modifications can change that.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #12
Vurnakes
AF Newbie

I would like to buy my son a brand new car, but how good are used sports cars? I don't want to buy one that has been raced and torn up.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #13
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

Does your son have much experience with rear wheel drive? Might be good to get him an old rx7 or something for him to practice with for a year or so. You are talking about some pretty powerful cars here that can be very deadly even when used with reasonable care. I am not questioning your sons driving abilities, but he is quite young.
lamehonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #14
Vurnakes
AF Newbie

my son has proven himself with alot of power. He has driven a Milestone edition 03 Vette around a lot this summer(friends dads car). i understand that these cars are very powerfull and i worry about him everyday... even in his slow slow honda, i worry more for people hitting him than him hitting people but anyways, thank you for all of this imput,
how hard is it to find an old rx7? he mentions Supras and other cars that i believe came out in the 90s. would these be good options for him? i would like him to have something reliable for college
Old 09-12-2005, 11:14 PM   #15
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Well if gas milage is a problem, then an RX7 and Supra are both out of the question, they guzzle worse than most V8's.

I'd go for the GTO, it's not really as good as the Aussie Holden Monaro, being blander and having a smaller boot but it's well made, easy to drive fast in and gets very good milage on the highway if you get the manual.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons