Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
appleman10
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to appleman10
Headlight Problems, any advice appriciated

Sometimes my headlights work fine, sometimes just the right one works, and sometimes none of them work. When I put the high beem's on, if one or both of the lights are out, the high beem symbol does not appear on the dash, but if one light is working the high beem will come on....It changes randomly.

How much should I expect to pay to have this fixed....anyone know whats wrong? Its definitally not a problem with the bulbs, but rather something with the switch (for example, closing the car door caused the right light to go out)
appleman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
infinman
AF Enthusiast

Youv'e got a bad headlamp relay{mounted by the brake booster,left fender}Turn your headlamps on and tap lightly on the relay while watching your headlights.If they flicker change the relay
infinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
appleman10
AF Regular

Re: Headlight Problems, any advice appriciated

Thank you so much for that advice, last night and today the lights have been working perfectly, if they act up again....I will try your method....how much is a new headlamp relay?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:01 AM   #4
appleman10
AF Regular

I found the headlamp relay, and should be able to get a new one! Thanks!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
appleman10
AF Regular

well indinman, I appriciate your help but 2 other people have told me that the switch is broken, instead of the relay....thanks though
Old 08-31-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
rebar71
AF Newbie

It's the relay.

It's common problem on the J - mine had the problem too. Bad/weak solder connections.
rebar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:03 PM   #7
appleman10
AF Regular

I've had two people tell me that they knew it was the switch, and two people tell me that it was the relay(in this thread)....allow me to explain my probelm again

for example...last night I started driving with my lights on, then the right one shut off, then came back on again a few minutes later....this morning I woke up and turned my lights on and off several times (including high beems) and they worked perfectly every time...now I just went out and both lights were on for a few seconds, then when I turned them on and off only the left one would work......switch or relay? I wish I had the money to buy both...but I really dont!

please offer some advice, thanks.

edit: rebar...if you could give me ur instant message or email, that would be awesome.

Last edited by appleman10; 08-31-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:14 PM   #8
appleman10
AF Regular

well....turns out it is the headlamp relay...I tapped the relay and the lights flickered....next step is the replacing the relay *sighs*
Old 09-01-2004, 10:29 AM   #9
rebar71
AF Newbie

The relay is a piece of cake to replace. It's a tight fit, but other than that...

Check this link for DIY instructions:

http://www.fuzzycats.com/docs/headlight_relay.pdf

The article mentions removing the power steering pump to make getting at the relay easier. But with my experience, it was actually the cruise control throttle actuator that was in the way. I didn't have the right tool remove it - it has the screws/bolts that will require a universal socket joint to remove. But with a little persistence, I was still able to change out the relay in about 45 minutes.

You should be able to get the relay for $25 shipped from everythingnissan.com - they didn't have the relay listed on their website, but if you call them up, they DO have it.
rebar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:35 AM   #10
infinman
AF Enthusiast

You must remove the cruise control actuator first.In the wheel well {above the left front tire} you will see three nuts. Remove these nut to loosen cruise actuator.Then access to headlamp relay is simple.
infinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:10 PM   #11
appleman10
AF Regular

Thanks for all your help guys, its in and works great! (except the screw attaching the relay broke in half...one still inside the screw slot, nothing duct tape couldnt fix )
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #12
lonetxranger
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Re: Headlight Problems, any advice appriciated

I'd just like to jump in here and say this forum and this thread are a lifesaver! Using the fuzzycats link from Rebar71, I fixed my J30 headlights in less than an hour!

Just one clarification to that file - the first instruction says "remove the (3) headlight relay 12mm nuts". Acutally those are the cruise control actuator nuts!

I slipped the PC board out and 1) Reflowed all of the solder joints (one bubbled a lot - that was probably the one!). 2) VERY LIGHTLY sanded the contacts of each relay. 3) Lubricated everything with tuner contact cleaner (from Radio Shack).

Anyway, it works for now! Thanks to all for the great thread!!!
lonetxranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:10 PM   #13
littlewillie
AF Newbie

lonetxranger, you are correct about the removal of the 3 headlight relay nuts being the cruise control actuator nuts in the fuzzycats.com DIY article about the headlight relay repair. I wrote this article & submitted to Carlos @ fuzzycats. I noticed the error but I never submitted a correction to Carlos.
rebar71, you submitted a link to this article in this thread. There is no reference to removing the "power steering pump for easier access to the relay" in the article I wrote that is now posted on fuzzycats website.
appleman10 & everyone else, infinman was the first one to respond to the problem in this thread. He gave the correct response to the problem. Some folks seem to doubt what infinman posts. 2 things to remember about infinman: 1) infinman never starts a thread - only responds to them 2) click on infinman's name & read his Biography - Automotive technician for 26 years/Top infiniti tech in western Canada..........Pay Attention To What Infinman Responds Too, We're Lucky To Have Him Here.
littlewillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
glennz2
AF Newbie

how can i replace the drivers side top side bulb. HOw do you remove the lens to swap the bulb.
glennz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #15
lonetxranger
AF Newbie

Uhhhmm... Could you be more specific? Do you want to change a headlight bulb? Or replace the lens? I'm not sure what you mean by "top". I have a J30 and the brights and dims are side-by-side... You don't remove the lens to replace the bulb on a J30 - you take the bulb socket out from the back...
lonetxranger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria