Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #46
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082
Re: SRT4 vs Evo 8

The First SRT-4s were 215HP but now they are 230HP he is right... I test drove one and have the book sitting in my room, it has the car in solar yellow on the beach on the cover.
Andm he is absolutely right, Duh! don't you think there will be DOUBLE the drivetrain loss driving DOUBLE the Wheels. STI's are dynoing 250-260 at the wheels. Obviuosly the SRT-4 isn't putting 180-190 down, but more... this is a 230HP car running 13.8s... cars w/ 20 less HP, GSX or GST for example, run a second or more faster, there is something about this car.
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:44 PM   #47
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

-_- please do me a favor and go the website; click on specs and enter zip codes either 33015 or 34997. I can't say it firmly, but if that's what Dodge putting up in their website, it's a little beyond reasoning.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:59 PM   #48
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Fanatic
-_- please do me a favor and go the website; click on specs and enter zip codes either 33015 or 34997. I can't say it firmly, but if that's what Dodge putting up in their website, it's a little beyond reasoning.

There is no doubt that dodge underated the power levels of the SRT4 by a wide margin.

The 03 was rated at 215 and put down 223 to the wheels
The 04 is rated at 230 flywheel and it actaully puts down 230 to the wheels

another thing worth mentioning is the torque...it has 250 tq to the wheels

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:01 PM   #49
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up

thanks for clarifying.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #50
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Anyone know what a stock Evo dynos at?
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:22 PM   #51
CrzyMR2T
AF Enthusiast

even if awd cars put down less power, it will have better overall traction off the line, and pulling out of corners. when you start modifying the car for more hp, awd will help a lot. higher speeds is where its weakness mainly is, around 90-100+ mph.

do skylines have this awd system where 100% of its power can be sent to the rear wheels? if so, then i guess higher speeds shouldnt be as much of a problem.
CrzyMR2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 PM   #52
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

I know, but I also think that AWD is overrated... there are people that swear it is the end all, the best thing since sliced bread... kinda the same attitude the Skyline Cult's followers have, but all I can say is that the faster cars in the world are RWD.
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:47 PM   #53
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

/\ Very True. When you think about it, the best of the supercars out there are RWD (and most are naturally aspirated). Enzo, Carrera GT, McLaren F1, SLR, Ford GT, etc. In fact I beleive the best AWD car out there has to be the RS6 and soon to be the LeMans Quattro. But when you think about it, these supercars are meant to shine on the track in good conditions. Most owners of these cars wouldnt dream of even bringing these cars out when its raining, let alone onto dirt or mud. The advantage of AWD sports cars like the STi and the EVO lies in these conditions. The are basically street legal WRC cars.
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #54
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
/\ Very True. When you think about it, the best of the supercars out there are RWD (and most are naturally aspirated). Enzo, Carrera GT, McLaren F1, SLR, Ford GT, etc. In fact I beleive the best AWD car out there has to be the RS6 and soon to be the LeMans Quattro. But when you think about it, these supercars are meant to shine on the track in good conditions. Most owners of these cars wouldnt dream of even bringing these cars out when its raining, let alone onto dirt or mud. The advantage of AWD sports cars like the STi and the EVO lies in these conditions. The are basically street legal WRC cars.
Isn't the Porsche 911 Turbo and 911 GT2 AWD, isn't the new Bugatti Veyron suppose to have AWD also. The Lamborghini Murcielago is also AWD, and there are others. Anyhow there may be a super EVO time attack challenge, it's in the works. Big dawgs like Vishnu, Sparco, Buschur, and XS Engineering have already signed up. Maybe a SRT-4 can try and enter the competetion too, see how you do? I doubt an SRT-4 will do well.
3000ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:16 PM   #55
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

As much as I love the 911 (possibly more then my M3), they don't compare very well against the likes of the McLaren and the CGT. As for the Veyron, the only thing I know about that monstrosity is that its been delayed at least a few times because it just doesnt seem to work right.
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:29 PM   #56
TatII
AF Fanatic

i'm a SRT-4 supporter. but you cant just go on saying that is the evo worth 10K more? why don't you try putting an awd system with a torsen style center diff, or fully alumium suspension compenents, or brembo brakes in a srt 4 and see that it will cost around 30K or even more. the evo cost more simpily becsuae it has more inside. granted to some it may not be that important, but still its there and everything serves a purpose whether you like it or not.

also the neon has a extremely weak chassis, once you put a stiffer suspension in, and get rid of the grease filled suspension bushings with polyurethen bushings, and the chassis will flex like crazy. all it needs for a evo is a 1 mm wider rear sway bar, and some R compound tires, and it will pull a .99 G on the skid pad. the EVO is compared to a NSX type S zero, its compared to a Skyline GT-R, etc etc. the SRT-4 is in the Civic Si, the SE-R class. it just happens to be soo quick that its compared to the 350Z, the mustang GT, and the S2000.

if your gonna compared the fastest stock times, road and track got the car to do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in 13.3 at 103 mph. while hte SRT-4's best time is 5.4 seconds to 60 and 13.9 at 102.7 mph.

so from a highway roll the evo and the stock SRT-4 will be a very close race. but the EVO is not a drag racer, its a all out back road burner, and a rally car for the street.

soo in the end, to some the extra 10K may not be worth it. but just think about tryin to put all that parts into the SRT-4 and you will see where the extra 10K went.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:48 PM   #57
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatII
why don't you try putting an awd system with a torsen style center diff,

sorry to be picky but the center on the USDM evo is viscous. Only the RS version gets a torsen up front.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:56 AM   #58
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

That's the thing, I pick the SRT-4 because all I would do with either car is stoplight racing and occasionally taking it to the drag strip. I can see why the Evo would be a better choice for rally racing. That said, the SRT-4 is doing extremely well in SCCA open-class rally and autocross, well enough to give the WRX and Rabbit GTI a run for their money.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:56 AM   #59
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: SRT4 vs Evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSmasher
First off, 3000ways, you have it in your head that Im comparing a drag car to a stock Evo. Im saying the drag car is using /stock/ SRT4 parts in the car. Block, crank, and head. Thats impressive to /anyone/ who knows anything about racing. That means you can take those stock parts, from the 13.9, all the way to the 8.2's if you so desire. The evo is not doing that, and Im sure you will claim it is, but you have yet given solid fact as I have. Second of all, the SRT4 engineering is not done by Mitsu as 96 someone was suggesting. The turbo is from mitsubishi but nothing else was designed, used, or substituted for mitsu parts. And mitsubishi does /not/ own any of Dimmler Chrysler. Chrysler has been the one pulling mitsu out of bankruptcy since the early 90's. And now their going back under because Dodge wont bail them out again. Thirdly, as for Kmans suggestion about 10k to both cars from stock in aftermarket parts, who would be faster.. and the answer to that is the SRT4. Because the evo's aftermarket parts are /way/ overpriced as is the car itself. Where as the SRT4 parts is moderatly priced for what you get. The fact is in most cases if you pay more for the car, you pay more for the parts. And my original question was, do you think the evo is worth the 10k, and I think a resounding No, besides 3000ways and a few other DSM diehards, was the consencous. I think this thread should be ended because I think its getting to personal, and not factual. Which provoks flaming.
First off, you seem to be the one swaying from facts, you and your homie, still can't get the non factual $10k price out of your head, I told you the 2005 EVO RS base price is around $27K and the 2005 EVO GSR is around $29K. Second off this all started when you stated the SRT-4 was a rival for the EVO performance stock for stock, I challenged that and you and your homie immediatly jump to the aftermarket and (you to professional drag cars) purchase price. Was that the argument, um no. That's like saying the SRT-4 is competetion to the Viper SRT-10 stock for stock, and I say BS. Then you respond with well is the Viper really worth $60K more than the SRT-4. Anyways I think srtforums should challenge evolutionm.net to a open track and drag racing event, anyone or anybody can enter that is street legal. Here is my prediction, the final consists of the fastest street legal SRT-4 (Dyno Works) against the fastest street legal EVO (Turbo Trix). The tree hits green and the Turbo Trix EVO was runs a 9.7 to the Dyno Works SRT-4 11.1, wow that was close. The racing portion, well I'll just leave that to your imagination, but believe me it won't be pretty for the SRT-4s. If this event happend, this would all be very much factual.
3000ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:59 AM   #60
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

The SRT-4 will get to that level of speed eventually, keep in mind that the Evo and it's engine have been around way longer than the SRT-4.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons