Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
GSR VTEC 94
AF Newbie

Supra vs M3

Lets say a 98 Supra, either model vs a new M3.
Are M3's really as fast as they are cracked up to be?
Old 06-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
Rakshas
AF Enthusiast

Re: Supra vs M3

stock m3 vs stock supra?

M3 should slaughter it.

Supra's power comes out in modifying.
Rakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Supra vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshas
stock m3 vs stock supra?

M3 should slaughter it.

Supra's power comes out in modifying.
Um I don't think so, don't get me wrong the M3 is no slouch, but neighter is the Supra. The M3 does the 1/4 mile in like 13.2-13.4 fast and the Supra is like 13.4-13.6, but with such a small difference it would definitly be a drivers race. Also, I give credit to the M3, but I believe the Supra (stock) is an awesome handling car, better yes than the M3, and the brakes are about a draw, the Supra is an awesome car stock and modified it is even better. Don't believe me then go do some research and prove me wrong.
3000ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

Id say an M3 has a slight advantage.

But as far as refinment, quality, looks, the M3 just murders and slaughters the cheap looking inside and out supra.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:32 PM   #5
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

straight performance........... i'd say a drivers race flat out, but up top i give it to the supra, when aerodynamics come into play
Old 06-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
If you compare year to year models. The Supra is clearly the superior car. Now, if you want to compare a 2004 model to a 1997 model then its a different story.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 06-09-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
Mike (M3)
AF Regular

new m3 will psot a faster time on a twisty track. but damn! those supras are modified easily
Old 06-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #8
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Well, i guess u can just look at my sn and find my answer. I love the M3. Simply the best (imo). The Supra was a great car, easily my favorite Japanese sports car ever sold in America. But the M3 is better. As it should be, the Supras were $30,000+ cars, the M is a $50,000 car. If I were to buy a strictly drag ricing car, I'd probably go for a Supra, but as a street/track car, my M3 is amazing.

This is my heavily biased opinion
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:09 PM   #9
Mr Payne
AF Enthusiast

E46 M3>Supra>E36 M3(240hp)
Mr Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:26 PM   #10
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
Well, i guess u can just look at my sn and find my answer. I love the M3. Simply the best (imo). The Supra was a great car, easily my favorite Japanese sports car ever sold in America. But the M3 is better. As it should be, the Supras were $30,000+ cars, the M is a $50,000 car. If I were to buy a strictly drag ricing car, I'd probably go for a Supra, but as a street/track car, my M3 is amazing.

This is my heavily biased opinion
Sorry but who told you that the Supra was just a drag car, please research some more and you will find that the Supra handles very good, try .96g skidpad nimbers and slaloms 68MPH+ stock, in fact for it's time the Supra was one of the best handling cars out there, and it's numbers are still not matched by the E46 M3. Also the Supra when new costed well over $40,000.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:00 PM   #11
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

O, i know the Supra can do stuff other then drag, I've drivin both. A friend of mine has a 400bhp+ MKIV, and i've been beaten by it in a drag. Like I said, the Supra was a great car. But im still convinced the E46 M3 has better handling. The 50/50 weight distribution works wonders. But I must admit it has been a while since I've drivin a stock one, mine is nicely modified.

I must apologize about my price quote for the Supra, its been a while since they've been out. For some reason I remember them as being around $35,000 for an N/A, and closer to $40,000 for the Twin Turbo. My mistake.

Im a huge fan of German Engineering and the M3 is the essence of everything I want in a car. Other then a 911, there are few cars I consider to be more desireable then the M3.
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #12
CrzyMR2T
AF Enthusiast

i love how the m3 looks, and im sure it handles great with its near 50/50 weight distribution, but it got beat by a less powerful nissan 350z track edition. im also disappointed by the fact that its starting to lose its balance a bit, its slighty front biased now compared to the older e36's rear bias.
CrzyMR2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:36 PM   #13
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
O, i know the Supra can do stuff other then drag, I've drivin both. A friend of mine has a 400bhp+ MKIV, and i've been beaten by it in a drag. Like I said, the Supra was a great car. But im still convinced the E46 M3 has better handling. The 50/50 weight distribution works wonders. But I must admit it has been a while since I've drivin a stock one, mine is nicely modified.

I must apologize about my price quote for the Supra, its been a while since they've been out. For some reason I remember them as being around $35,000 for an N/A, and closer to $40,000 for the Twin Turbo. My mistake.

Im a huge fan of German Engineering and the M3 is the essence of everything I want in a car. Other then a 911, there are few cars I consider to be more desireable then the M3.
Don't get me wrong, if I had the choice between the two I'd get the M3, a great car, both are great cars.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:27 AM   #14
V8slayer
AF Enthusiast

stock M3 vs stock Supra in a drag race I'd bet on the M3 SMGII

That's what I have and yes it's about 13.5 to the quarter mile but I routinely beat cars with quicker quoted times.

Because the SMGII is idiot proof. You can't make a mistake. Push the lever forward, floor the throttle and release. Pull the paddle everytime it hits 8000rpm.

Most people can't do a perfect launch and 3 perfect gear changes everytime.
V8slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:30 AM   #15
Mike (M3)
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyMR2T
i love how the m3 looks, and im sure it handles great with its near 50/50 weight distribution, but it got beat by a less powerful nissan 350z track edition. im also disappointed by the fact that its starting to lose its balance a bit, its slighty front biased now compared to the older e36's rear bias.
is this the best motoring video your describing?

this was clearly not a fair race, with the same driver posting times round that track, any ohter time and the m3's times would have slaughtered the times of the 350z.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons