Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
globetrotter18
AF Newbie

Post Bose Radio/CD Died--Any Help Appreciated

Hi. I've got a '95 J30 and have the usual love-hate relationship with it. I've had the window motor problems, the sunroof motor porblems---all the quirks the J30 is famous for.
Anyway, I've got a problem with the Bose audio unit. I had had a problem with the display flickering on and off for quite some times, but if you pressed the glass in, it would hold the display. I know, hi tech. Yesterday, I had a CD in and the unit just died. It will not accept a CD or a cassette tape. At first, the radio still worked, but that quickly stopped working too. Sometimes now when I start the car, the radio will work for about five seconds and then die. That will prompt the antenna in the back to make strange noises for about 15 seconds, as it tries to go up.
I have tested the external fuse next to the driver's side door and that is ok so that is not the problem.
Any ideas what could be wrong? Is it something small (hopefully) like an inside fuse or could the whole unit be shot?
Thanks for any help you can provide...
globetrotter18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Re: Bose Radio/CD Died--Any Help Appreciated

Talk to andy @ Buzz off in Tampa Fla he has a person who repairs bose radios
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:36 PM   #3
lgriffin1138
AF Newbie

This repair facility has been reported on this forum before. I sent a dead unit in and had it returned within 10 days, including shipping time.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/

Lee
lgriffin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
apensity
AF Newbie

I heard that you can send in the old unit to the Infinit dealer and get a replacement for about $250? I'm looking into that since mine is blown as well. I'll try and let you know.

***Update: I just called Infinit and they said to get it repaired by short circuit in San Jose for about $350. If I wanted to buy a new one, they said the only sell the systems together for about $3000, yes, $3000!!! So, I guess I'll send mine in to get it repaired, but I'll send it to the guy you recommended instead! Thanks!
Now, how do I put the old unit back in after drilling out the mounting screws!?!?!?!!? Ahhhhh!!!!!!

Update #2: I just called "Short Circuit" in San Joase, CA (Infiniti recommended them to me). Glibert told me it would cost around $160-$185 repaired and it would be done with 72 hours. Sounds good to me.... now, those holes again,.... hmmmmmmm
apensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #5
lgriffin1138
AF Newbie

Re: Bose Radio/CD Died--Any Help Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by apensity
Now, how do I put the old unit back in after drilling out the mounting screws!?!?!?!!? Ahhhhh!!!!!!

Update #2: I just called "Short Circuit" in San Joase, CA (Infiniti recommended them to me). Glibert told me it would cost around $160-$185 repaired and it would be done with 72 hours. Sounds good to me.... now, those holes again,.... hmmmmmmm
If you go to the site I recommended above they have instructions for removal and installation. It's a lot simpler than I would have ever thought.

And I'd check to see what warranty you're going to get from Short Circuit before letting them fix it. It might take longer to send it out, but they do include a 1 year warranty and they fix EVERYTHING that's wrong while it's in their shop.

Lee
lgriffin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
apensity
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Bose Radio/CD Died--Any Help Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgriffin1138
If you go to the site I recommended above they have instructions for removal and installation. It's a lot simpler than I would have ever thought.

And I'd check to see what warranty you're going to get from Short Circuit before letting them fix it. It might take longer to send it out, but they do include a 1 year warranty and they fix EVERYTHING that's wrong while it's in their shop.

Lee
I checked with them and it's a 1 year as well. I would totally go with the other recommended company, but I need the head unit for a long distance run in a couple of weeks, so the 72 hour turn around and the 150 mile distance for delivery won on that one.
As far as the removal is concerned, I drilled out the screws at the beginning thinking I could just swap it out with a double-din. Whoops!
Old 07-01-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
apensity
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Re: Re: Bose Radio/CD Died--Any Help Appreciated

Just got off the phone with Short Circuit in Sacramento, I overnighted the unit there yseterday and they fixed it this morning, blew out the unit and removed all metal shavings from the screws I dremmeled out and then included 4 new ones to go with it. They called me, said it would be $165 and that I will have it on my doorstep in the morning! 1 year warranty as well. 3 days, $165, I'm a happy guy...
:^)
Old 07-03-2004, 04:21 AM   #8
bassvato
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bose Radio/CD Died--Any Help Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by apensity
Just got off the phone with Short Circuit in Sacramento, I overnighted the unit there yseterday and they fixed it this morning, blew out the unit and removed all metal shavings from the screws I dremmeled out and then included 4 new ones to go with it. They called me, said it would be $165 and that I will have it on my doorstep in the morning! 1 year warranty as well. 3 days, $165, I'm a happy guy...
:^)
My CD player just crapped out and all I get is the CD ERR. the rest of the radio is working fine. Could I get the number for that Short Circut Joint?
bassvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
apensity
AF Newbie

http://www.shortcircuitrepair.com
Overnighted it to them on Tuesday, received it Thursday morning for $160 w/ one year warranty.
I think that the other repair business linked to here deserves most of the business because of the input they've given, but I was in a hurry and they were only 90 miles away, so that is why I went through Short Circuit. Thye were nice and knowledgable, gave me a call at work to make sure they got everything I needed to have fixed and huried it out that afternoon for delivery. Time spent in the shop from what I could tell; 6 hours.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria