Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: evo-8 vs skyline
evo-8 6 23.08%
skyline R34 20 76.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 06:23 PM   #1
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

evo-8 vs skyline

i'm going evo-8 cause it outperforms in my opinion, but then i'd say skyline cause i believe it has more potential. dollar for dollar in mods i believe the skyline kills it but stock i think i'm going evo-8
but even then, i don't think anyone has tried to max out a evo-8 like they have the skyline.

i know theres lots of skyline freaks out there so i'm expecting most to say skyline but lets see
Old 11-07-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
ZZII
AF Enthusiast

Re: evo-8 vs skyline

The Evo will probably beat the Skyline on turns, but other than that the skyline Will burn the evo. as soon as the R34 pull out ov the turn it's gonna leave that evo in the dust. Yes, and this is stock.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:19 AM   #3
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

naa, i don't believe that, i believe the evo-8 would stay in front the whole time, not by much but, i'd be willing to bet money that the evo-8 would win.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
SR20DETpower
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SR20DETpower
i think a r34 gtr will take a us evo8 on the track. I've heard rumors of GTR's that put down more then the 280hp rated on a dyno, and the evo puts down less then its quoted amount. The evo is probably a little bit lighter, the engine in the skyline is much more heavier duty and smoother, as well with the rest of the driveline. The GTR will probably get it in corners and defintely on acceleration out, the us evo lacking the electronic diffs vs the Skylines Attesa is no contest.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:14 PM   #5
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

i might beleive in acceleration, but i will not belive around corners.
the evo-8 is running 13.1 0-60 in 4.6. skyline doesn't run like that.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:16 PM   #6
LSR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngvr4
i might beleive in acceleration, but i will not belive around corners.
the evo-8 is running 13.1 0-60 in 4.6. skyline doesn't run like that.
Er the Skyline is capable of that. Skyline is ten times better - better looking, faster, quicker entry and exit speeds, better handling, better interior, and much better to mod.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:55 PM   #7
hockeygod2787
Banned

Send a message via MSN to hockeygod2787
I chose the Skyline, the evo-8 is a beatiful machine but i am positive that it would get raped in this race!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:55 PM   #8
TatII
AF Fanatic

well if you a chance to watch any best motoring international videos. the evo and the R34 are almost always ranked number 1 and 2 out of all the races. but most the time the skyline edges out the evo. the evo is better at the tighter turns. the skyline much faster on the long straights. there are many instances where the skyline literally just walks all the evo. and pulls on it like its standing still. also the skylines are better for those up hill corners as well. so it depends on what type of track they race in. but if the evo was in a tight small course the evo would have the upper hand. if the course has long straights with lot of fast sweeps, and mid speed corners with elevation changes, then the skyline would have the upper hand. plus the evo's top speed is only 147 mph when the skyline can hit well over 160 mph.

edit: try to find an older back issue of best motoring where there was a free for all. there was 9 cars racing i believe here are the contestants

nissan skyline R34 GT-R V-Spec II
Mitsubishi lancer evo 7 GSR
mitsu lancer evo 7 RS
mazda RX-7 type RZ
mazda RX-7 type RS
subaru WRX STi
subaru WRX STi type RA
Honda NSX type S
Honda NSX type S Zero

this was to prove which cars were the fastest in japan.

here are the ranks

1: Nissan Skyline R34
2: Honda NSX type S Zero
3: mitsubishi EVO 7 GSR
4: mazda RX-7 type RZ

then i forgot the others cause they were just too far behind. all i remembered was that the subaru was dead last by a hugh margin as always. an the evo 7 RS is pretty back there too. for the people who don't know. the evo 7 RS is the light weight version with no active differential. ( in other words a u.s spec evo 8 with less weight and more power )

also the skylines runs the 1/4 mile in 12.9 on average. however i've seen the same guys get the j spec evo 8 with the 6 speed and active diff to run a 12.6 but the skyline will still have the better high end. can't really compare a high strung 4 cylinder to a straight 6.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 11-21-2003, 03:06 AM   #9
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

why is it that everyone says the skyline runs 12 this and 12 that but every time i see the stats for a r34 gtr it runs more like 13.5

www.supercars.net is one of the many places i looked that say 13's
only skyline forums is were they speak on 12's cause of course they want to make it seem like there cars are gods(wich they are to the imports imo) but in all reality i keep seing them run 13.5. another thing is the skyline can be easily pumped up by doing some twists and turns under the hood cause it has lots and lots of hidden hp, and thats most likely why they run these faster times and they say its stock, but stock to me means untouched. any way give me some more feed back.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:30 AM   #10
ZZII
AF Enthusiast

It also depends on the driver. remember that.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:14 PM   #11
nissanThree00zx
AF Newbie

Skyline R34 is my choice...not really a big fans of the EVO.
hmm....the turns...i think it depends on the driver... other than that...R34 rules.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:53 AM   #12
TatII
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngvr4
why is it that everyone says the skyline runs 12 this and 12 that but every time i see the stats for a r34 gtr it runs more like 13.5

www.supercars.net is one of the many places i looked that say 13's
only skyline forums is were they speak on 12's cause of course they want to make it seem like there cars are gods(wich they are to the imports imo) but in all reality i keep seing them run 13.5. another thing is the skyline can be easily pumped up by doing some twists and turns under the hood cause it has lots and lots of hidden hp, and thats most likely why they run these faster times and they say its stock, but stock to me means untouched. any way give me some more feed back.

you gotta remember those numbers came up from japanese pro drivers ( ie: racing school owners, japanese F1 champions, JGTC champions, and hte drift king himself. ) these guys can constantly get a GT-R to run 12's. just as they can get a GTO VR-4 to run a 12.8 as well. and these guys can get a j spec evo 8 and STi to run 12.6 and yes they are stock. but they are just that damn good. to them, drag racing is nothing. where as compared to car magazine drivers who are nothing more then enthusist who happens to write for a mag.

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 11-25-2003, 12:42 AM   #13
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

Re: Re: evo-8 vs skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatII
you gotta remember those numbers came up from japanese pro drivers ( ie: racing school owners, japanese F1 champions, JGTC champions, and hte drift king himself. ) these guys can constantly get a GT-R to run 12's. just as they can get a GTO VR-4 to run a 12.8 as well. and these guys can get a j spec evo 8 and STi to run 12.6 and yes they are stock. but they are just that damn good. to them, drag racing is nothing. where as compared to car magazine drivers who are nothing more then enthusist who happens to write for a mag.

i'm sorry, i just can't believe that, thats just too much a vr4 running 12.8
is there something diff in the air over there or something.

check this out, i just read an article on a evo-7 that was upgraded to the speed of a evo-8 running a 13.2 against a r34 skyline that was upgraded and ran a 11.9 but stil the evo-7 out ran the skyline on the track by................ .1 sec, not to mention there's a nice straight away from the start meaning the skyline should have even had a head start.
let alone an upgraded wrx running a 12.8 also beat it.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:32 AM   #14
TatII
AF Fanatic

you gotta know that when you upgrade a car that can run aroudn2 seconds faster, esp a car as heavy as a skyline there is very little you can do to compensate for the handling since it has soo much more momentum. so comparing those 2 car not valid. you should compare stock and stock. and in which even though its close the skyline will edge out the evo. i know what i saw, i've seen it done for years by bestmotoring, and no the air is not better in japan, those guys are "PROS" they have been racing for atleast 20 years, in the "PROFESSIONAL" leagues. think about it,

1:Tsuchiyia is the freakin Drift king of japan, and currently drives the ARTA NSX for the JGTC 500 class in japan, and has raced in the 24 hour le man race with a NSX.

2:Hatori was the F1 champion of Japan.

3:Kuwasawa a.k.a Gan San is a retired racer who has even a higher calibur then even Tsuchiyia himself.

4:Nakaiya is also a retired racer who even has his own racing school. think of him as like skip barber.

5:Takiya San: his is the Son of Kuwasawa. he is also a pro. he is probrably the worse driver in the whole roster being the youngest ( still in the 30's ) and guess what. even though hes the worst, if he gets his hands on a GT-R. he wins. that free for all battle with 9 japanese super sports, that race was won by Takiya San.

so as you can see by their records, drag racing is simpily nothing to them. think of it, compare their skills to the skills of people at motortrend, or which ever other mags you got. they will even edge out Rhys Millen ( Pro who sometimes write for them ) Millen got elimated when competeing with the japanese in the D1 competition in only round 16. even though its only drifting, and really be compared to actual pro racing, the japanese will be better since they raced in more different types of motor sport.

you don't hvae to believe me. but many other people on the net knows waht i'm talkin about and has seen the videos. so its not like i'm calling wolf and bullshiting out of my ass. you refuse to believe it so fine. be misinformed beucase of your "theories" well i have proofs and i've seen it with my owns eyes. you can go stick to your theories. and it wasn't even like i was sayin the skyline is unbeatable. i mean hell those guys got the freaking evo 8 to run a freaking 12.6 stock!!!! the fastest i've ever seen a them get a GT-R run was a 12.7 and it was with a R33, and after that i've never seen them back it up.

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 11-25-2003, 09:22 AM   #15
mycivic
AF Enthusiast

skyline skyline skyline all the way.

2003 Honda Civic LX
Mods: Bone Stock