Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 05:28 PM   #1
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
Misc Problems with 95 Civic EX

My friend has a 95 Civc EX as you read, and it has a few problems with it. First of all, it has 140k miles on it....engine swap time. But also, the "check engine" light is on and he took it to a coulple places that told him different things. One place told him that he needed a new computer or ECU, whatever, and another told him that the check engine light comes on every set amount of miles just to make you go in for a checkup. And another place said that you can actually reset or turn off the light manually, but that might be bad if there is in fact something wrong with it. If anyone could give me some ideas or answers or insight, that would be helpful. Also, I put an AEM Cool Air Intake on it for him, but it has an annoying resonance sound in low rpm in first and second. Once again, and insight would be helpful. And the last thing is about squeaky brakes. I know it's a total n00b question, but he JUST got them replaced like 50 miles ago. They squeak when he stops, and it annoys the hell out of me. Any comments would be helpful.

Also, can anyone tell me links to find information on Civics and Integras involving stock 1/4 mile a 0-60 times?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 09:05 PM   #2
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
Re: Misc Problems with 95 Civic EX

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
My friend has a 95 Civc EX as you read, and it has a few problems with it. First of all, it has 140k miles on it....engine swap time. But also, the "check engine" light is on and he took it to a coulple places that told him different things. One place told him that he needed a new computer or ECU, whatever, and another told him that the check engine light comes on every set amount of miles just to make you go in for a checkup. And another place said that you can actually reset or turn off the light manually, but that might be bad if there is in fact something wrong with it. If anyone could give me some ideas or answers or insight, that would be helpful. Also, I put an AEM Cool Air Intake on it for him, but it has an annoying resonance sound in low rpm in first and second. Once again, and insight would be helpful. And the last thing is about squeaky brakes. I know it's a total n00b question, but he JUST got them replaced like 50 miles ago. They squeak when he stops, and it annoys the hell out of me. Any comments would be helpful.

Also, can anyone tell me links to find information on Civics and Integras involving stock 1/4 mile a 0-60 times?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Answers:
1. yes its true that the check engine light will come on at various points, but it would be a good idea to check your ecu to see if its throwing any codes, but for your friends whip, you will need a code reader, or a shop manual telling you how to check the codes manually.

2. The noise from the intake is normal, thats what happens with aftermarket pieces.

3. Brake squeking is caused mainly by brake dust gettting between the pad and the rotor, again, not much can be done to correct this, other to take the pads off and clean the surface.

as for stock 1/4 for the 2 cars.

civics run about 16.7 integras should run bout 16.3.

hope this helps.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 10:22 PM   #3
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
AF Enthusiast

yea thanks that helped alot. hes gonna get a code reader and we will take it from there, cause a code reader is alot cheaper than an enitre ecu and sensor replacement. and if the code reader says there are any serious problems, he will probly just save for a b16a or b18c swap with tranny.

i have another question though. i once took off his wheels to clean his brakes once, but it looked alot more difficult than it sounds. do we have to disassemble the calipers to clean the space between them and the rotors? or can we just use brake cleaner on the exposed rotor and call it good?

thanks.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:31 PM   #4
gunnmen01
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gunnmen01 Send a message via Yahoo to gunnmen01
No it isnt true that your check engine light comes on purposely. Your maintance required light will turn red every 7500 miles to remind you of required main.
Get a code reader or go to the dealer and ask them what the code is, then come back here and let us know. Someone will know what to tell you on how to fix it.
Most aftemarket brake pads will make noise, thier alot harder than honda pads, but yes you could soak it with brake cleaner that may help the brake dust.
No problems that would cause the check engine light to come on should cause any damage to your motor, they only affect the emissions.

hope this helps ya....gunnmen01
Old 01-13-2003, 02:04 AM   #5
Rgacke
AF Regular

"yeah, we read the code...and it says it needs to be replaced..."

new ECU = $$$$, why am I not surprised.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:01 PM   #6
91civicDXdude
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to 91civicDXdude
Quote:
No it isnt true that your check engine light comes on purposely.
amen to that. people who say the check engine light just "comes on" so you have to take your car to the shop are the people who drive with the check engine light on for miles and miles and miles because "its just a way for the repair shop to make money"

the check engine light wouldn't come on unless there was a problem.

http://4thgencivic0.tripod.com
91civicDXdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:49 PM   #7
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
AF Enthusiast

alright thanks people...where could we find a code checker for his car though? how much would it be?
Old 01-15-2003, 04:11 PM   #8
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
any auto parts store should carry them, they range in price tho, ive seen em anywhere between $35 and $150 depending on the features you get.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #9
Frostbyte
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Frostbyte
Quote:
Originally posted by 91civicDXdude

amen to that. people who say the check engine light just "comes on" so you have to take your car to the shop are the people who drive with the check engine light on for miles and miles and miles because "its just a way for the repair shop to make money"

the check engine light wouldn't come on unless there was a problem.
Also there is not a Service light that comes on the Civic EX's that is on the Integra's God don't you hate it when people come in here and tell people stuff that is not true. If you do not know then don't answer. Also you don't need a "code reader". Behind the Glove Box you will find 2 wires that go to a blue connecter that just sits there. Then you take a piece of wire put one side of each wire into each hole on the 2 pin connector. Then watch your check engine light flash and it will give you the code write the code down and then call a honda dealer and ask them what the code is.
JIC Magic Front and Rear Strut Bars
Slotted and Cross-drilled Rotors
S/S Brake Lines
Pivot Lazy eye controller
Blitz LM Intake
Blitz D1 Spec Turbo Timer
Soon to come:
Sard 550cc Injectors
Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust
Blitz Down pipe
HKS FMIC
http://www.driftmonkey.com (Part Owner)