Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Corona/Caldina/Carnia
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
vegetables
AF Newbie

milky oil on transmission dipstick?

So i got a second hand radiator because the old one was bad. put it in than after about 15k the car just wouldent go forward it goes forward a bit but barley i checked the dipstick and it has a bit of oil on it and its milky white did the radiator coolant leak into the the transmission cooling thing? and is my transmission ruined now or what?
vegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

Re: milky oil on transmission dipstick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetables View Post
So i got a second hand radiator because the old one was bad. put it in than after about 15k the car just wouldent go forward it goes forward a bit but barley i checked the dipstick and it has a bit of oil on it and its milky white did the radiator coolant leak into the the transmission cooling thing? and is my transmission ruined now or what?

sounds like your right,if you get real lucky maybe flushing out the trans real good when your done will salvage the trans.it depends on how long
the anti freeze was in the trans,the clutches,seals may have been ruined
how old & miles on trans
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inafogg For This Useful Post:
jon@af (08-09-2011), vegetables (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
vegetables
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inafogg View Post
sounds like your right,if you get real lucky maybe flushing out the trans real good when your done will salvage the trans.it depends on how long
the anti freeze was in the trans,the clutches,seals may have been ruined
how old & miles on trans
not sure this car was last registered in 2008 my dad got it off a mechanic who had it sitting under a tree but the engine and gearbox seem really good as if someone has rebuilt it anyway turns out it wasnt water and my radiator doesnt leak water into the oil cooler took 3 litres to get the tran full goes good now
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

good to hear you got it
The Following User Says Thank You to inafogg For This Useful Post:
vegetables (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
vegetables
AF Newbie

Quote:
good to hear you got it
nope it was running good, But i only took it for a small test run but i still have the problem!! ok if i dont accelerate at all the car will drive on its own at about 3km/h but than if i accelerate it feels as if it gets into gear than itll take off than it will just stop and go along on its own... and rpms rise but it doesn't go anywhere if i rev it up a bit it will reach 40km but i can still hear the rpms rising and the car just doesnt seem to want to go into gear than when it does seem to get into gear it will just stop as if its in neutral and rpms rise and it will only go up to 40km if i rev it up a bit. any clue what the problem is??? i noticed it did this from when i first got it going but it wasnt no way near as a bad as it is now. id just play arround with the throttle and itd get into gear and easily reach 130km but now its just fukeddd
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
nope it was running good, But i only took it for a small test run but i still have the problem!! ok if i dont accelerate at all the car will drive on its own at about 3km/h but than if i accelerate it feels as if it gets into gear than itll take off than it will just stop and go along on its own... and rpms rise but it doesn't go anywhere if i rev it up a bit it will reach 40km but i can still hear the rpms rising and the car just doesnt seem to want to go into gear than when it does seem to get into gear it will just stop as if its in neutral and rpms rise and it will only go up to 40km if i rev it up a bit. any clue what the problem is??? i noticed it did this from when i first got it going but it wasnt no way near as a bad as it is now. id just play arround with the throttle and itd get into gear and easily reach 130km but now its just fukeddd
recheck the fluid level & condition(engine hot/idle).try to manaully shift into low,2,3 to see what happens could be its higher gear slip.dont no if there is a trans modulator external but maybe worth to check
what are we working on???year miles ect.
vegetables (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
vegetables
AF Newbie

toyota corona 1986 st141 150k on it someone said it could be a filter,modulator, or the tv cable i dont think its the tranny cause it was having trouble getting into the top gear and i had to play with the throttle to get it to go into top gear but once in top gear it whent just fine. also i noticed when it whent bad i can hear this airy whistling noise somewhere near the engine could that be a bad modulator?

Last edited by vegetables; 08-09-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
trannyman52
AF Regular

clutches in transmission do not fair well when anti-freeze ,,,AND water ,,are in there ,,,,transmission is most likely going to fail,,,water destroys clutch linings,,,usually very quickly
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
vegetables
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannyman52 View Post
clutches in transmission do not fair well when anti-freeze ,,,AND water ,,are in there ,,,,transmission is most likely going to fail,,,water destroys clutch linings,,,usually very quickly
read my post i THOUGHT there was water in there but there wasn't. i looked at the dipstick in daylight and its pink
Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
toyota corona 1986 st141 150k on it someone said it could be a filter,modulator, or the tv cable i dont think its the tranny cause it was having trouble getting into the top gear and i had to play with the throttle to get it to go into top gear but once in top gear it whent just fine. also i noticed when it whent bad i can hear this airy whistling noise somewhere near the engine could that be a bad modulator?
are you saying that if you put the trans in low it moves ok same with other gears?? your having trouble finding drive with shifter??
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
vegetables
AF Newbie

Quote:
are you saying that if you put the trans in low it moves ok same with other gears?? your having trouble finding drive with shifter??

no same problem. not having trouble finding drive with the shift leaver my cable is not broken and doesnt need adjusting or anything. i'll have a look at my tv cable and change my filter and hope my tranny isnt shot.

Last edited by vegetables; 08-11-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
no same problem. not having trouble finding drive with the shift leaver my cable is not broken and doesnt need adjusting or anything. i'll have a look at my tv cable and change my filter and hope my tranny isnt shot.

let us know
vegetables (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
vegetables
AF Newbie

when't to an auto shop to order a new filter and the dude said that my car doesn't have a filter anyway i found out some have a strainer which mine must have can i take this out and atleast clean it or what? also found a used tranny for only 150 which i will be buying if my tranny still doesn't work after i drop the pan and change the fluid. and is that a good price for a used tranny? and how much would a rebuilt/new one cost?