Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
donram360
AF Newbie

is there an A/C compressor that will work?

I am restoring a '80 Plymouth Volare. Not back to stock, a custom job (but not crazy). I sold the original slant 6 and 3 spd auto, have a 318 Magnum, an AX 15 trans (5 spd manual) and complete 94 Dakota engine wiring harness going in.
My question is this; This car came w/o factory A/C, which I have most of the parts to add, courtesy of a couple parts cars. I also have new hoses, evap core, H valve, drier all rated to use either R 12 or R 134a. I plan on using the 134. Watching Ebay and a few other spots for a new condenser. The only thing that leaves out is the compressor. I was looking at my 97 Ram 1500 4X4 at its setup as it has the same engine as I have on the stand for the car. the problem is that the Ram compressor only has 2 hoses going to 1 junction block bolted to it. The late 70s/early 80s had 2 junction blocks on it, but the mounting ears are different than whats on the magnum. Both compressors are of a similar design and size, round/aluminum. (NOT the heavy old cast iron rv2 of mid 70s and earlier Chryslers)Is there an off the shelf compressor that will bolt to the Magnum with the same hose connections of the older style? Also I see that my truck has an orifice tube like a GM would. When did they go to this setup?

PS; This is my 1st post here, but I am an ASE certified Master tech, although Im a bit rusty on A/C since I last worked at a shop that did A/C way back when R 12 was still the factory fill and 134 was "coming in a couple years".
donram360 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical