Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
rufus1951
AF Newbie

need help increasing h.p. to 2006 dodge charger rt.

have already put in roadmaster cat back. throttle spacer, chip and t&m cold air intake. trying to decide and need help on wheather or not to put in turbo or super charger. questions. 1, which improves h.p. the most, 2. is there a turbo for this car yet , I know there is a super charger but it quite expensive. $6200.00 plus taxes then I still have to have it installed and re chipped. I do not use this car for racing but enjoy the odd take off with another car at lights ect. seldom so would either of these products injure the engine?
rufus1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
bluevp00
AF Enthusiast

Re: need help increasing h.p. to 2006 dodge charger rt.

Well a turbo has the potential to add the most HP, but in your situation a supercharger would be a better choice. Turbos create more power, but have a characteristic "lag" which will make quick power starts hard to do (unless you do a twin turbo). A supercharger creates less power but the delivery is instant, there is no lag. Just keep in mind that good power costs good money, so paying $6200+ might be the only way to go.
bluevp00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
INF3RN0666
AF Regular

There's always the option of custom fitting a super charger or a turbo charger (which ever one you want). It's not the best idea, but if you want something cheaper and want to put some work into it, do it yourself. Take a super charger (old or new), find a way to mount (create some brackets) and hose it into your intake. A supercharger is much easier to customer install because it's all right there and there's tons of place it to mount it. Kits just make things easy, but they don't make them better. Atleast this way, you can do it the way you think is best.
INF3RN0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
boarder_punk
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to boarder_punk

I'm not a dodge guy so I'm not sure how heavily that engine is built from the factory, but generally speaking an engine with stock internals will handle around 7psi of boost before encountering adverse affects.

Another power boosting route to think about is porting/polishing/port matching; and while you're in there, you could have a valve job done and put in titanium keepers and retainers and stainless valves with a cutdown shank, and maybe even shave .010" off of the head. Doing all of this could potentially gain you 30 or so HP, and it would increase the effects of a forced induction system without actually increasing boost. And believe it or not a good port and polish job can even increase the life of your engine and increase your fuel economy (until everthing gets all carboned up again of course).
boarder_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by INF3RN0666
There's always the option of custom fitting a super charger or a turbo charger (which ever one you want). It's not the best idea, but if you want something cheaper and want to put some work into it, do it yourself. Take a super charger (old or new), find a way to mount (create some brackets) and hose it into your intake. A supercharger is much easier to customer install because it's all right there and there's tons of place it to mount it. Kits just make things easy, but they don't make them better. Atleast this way, you can do it the way you think is best.
I don't agree with the "it's not the best idea" because it all depends on your goals. in this case it probably isn't but in many cases it is.

if you don't plan on doing a custom job, making your own turbocharger system is quite intensive, then do some research on kits. it all depends on your goals, you said you want the most HP, a turbocharger has the best potential for horsepower and it generally will give you better gas mileage than a supercharger because the super's always compressing air whereas the turbo is only really there when you want it.

a supercharger will give you much better throttle response, as soon as you hit the gas you get the power. a turbocharger might give you better acceleration and power overall but you'll still wait a little bit once you hit the gas, although turbo lag can be reduced alot with a properly sized turbocharger, ball bearings, and variable vane turbocharging. so as you described it you seem to just be looking for something that'll make your car FEEL faster more than something that'll make it go faster, well you want both but let me explain. a supercharger will feel alot faster because of the throttle response even if a turbocharger might be faster.

besides, i doubt it'll make much of a difference anyways which has more power, you're already making over 400hp at the crank, you'll probably have 500+hp after the supercharger/turbocharger so the little difference in horsepower won't make much of a difference, you'll still beat most cars on the road.

edit: i forgot to add that a supercharger is much easier to install, it's usually just a bolt-on kit with very little, if any, actual modifications. a turbocharger, even the bolt-on ones, will be alot more work to put in because you'll have to deal with the exhaust side of things as well and if you want to have it welded, which you probably would since i wouldn't really trust a bolt-on turbocharger system, it'll be more work and more time.

you might also want to invest in some high-flow catalytic converters and some high-flow headers they'll add horsepower and torque normally but they'll help even more when you have a supercharger or turbocharger, although you'll need a turbo manifold for a turbocharger so the headers'll have to go if you decide that way.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

I would be terribly surprised if it takes long for a turbo system to become availble. Simply wait. although it probably won't be priced all that much differently.

If it was me, I'd go for the TC. Two different camps on this of course, some much prefer SC over TC and vice versa. The biggest question IMO, is room under the hood. If you have very little room, and the SC guys found a good placement, I would go that route. TC's need a little room or they are compromised, and nothing worse than working in tight spaces with a complex plumbing for a TC.

Of course, if you don't even know where the hood latch is, let alone what the engine space looks like, and all things involving engine work are fixed with a credit card, then its purely a financial issue, and I'll leave that up to you since its your credit card

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical