Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
wagslick
AF Newbie

Bucket Seat Supports BROKEN!

I have a 99 Silverado 5.3 Liter w/4wd. The other day I hit a bump and the front driver bucket seat begins to list towards the center of the truck. I get out and take a look under my seat and find that one of the metal supports that holds the seat is broken. Furthermore, I look at the other metal support and find that it also is cracked and ready to break. (see pics)

Anyone know what the name of this part is, where i can get the part, how much the part costs, or how to fix it? I'd love to get in my truck and not have the drivers seat list 25 degrees to the right.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a recall? It seams like a rather important thing that's going wrong here.

wagslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Reflash
AF Newbie

Re: Bucket Seat Supports BROKEN!

Your going to need a new seat track assembly. The broken piece is not serviced seperately. To replace it just unbolt the seat cushion from the track assembly. You have power seats, so be forewarned...that part is not cheap. You might be better off going to a salvage yard a get a used one.

There is no recall for that failure. I've seen it happen every now and then and its not limited to just trucks...cars also will do it.

Can you weld? or know somone that does? A competent welder ~might~ be able to weld it back in place...but I dont really think you'll be able to fix it IMO
Reflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
3mikeman
AF Newbie

If you know someone in a machine shop have them make one i did a few years ago. just remove the seat and grid of the rivet heads and replace them with bolts. Mine been working fine for years.
3mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

[quote=wagslick;5916740]I have a 99 Silverado 5.3 Liter w/4wd. The other day I hit a bump and the front driver bucket seat begins to list towards the center of the truck. I get out and take a look under my seat and find that one of the metal supports that holds the seat is broken. Furthermore, I look at the other metal support and find that it also is cracked and ready to break.

the metal is rusted ..why is this so... ? it is possible this caused this joint to bind...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
kahjdh
AF Enthusiast

I know up here in the snowbelt no metal is safe from rust, even on the inside.

I dont see why that couldnt be welded back together. If not im sure you can find a track in a junk yard, I dont think there is a change between tahoes, sierra etc for the seat tracks.
1996 Acura Integra LS B18 1.8L
Past Cars:
1990 Buick Estate Wagon 5.0L
1987 Chevy S10 2.5L Tec Four
1995 Pontiac Grand Am 2.3 Quad 4
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L AWD
1991 Ford Tempo L 2.3L
1992 Buick LeSabre 3.8L
1997 Buick Century 3.1L
1996 Lumina APV GT 3.4L
2006 Ford Escape 3.0L XLT
kahjdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
isie
AF Newbie

I would fabricate my own, or find a buddy that could would probably be cheaper and stronger.
isie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
jdmccright
The RustBuster

That would be easy to fab from 3/16" thick by 1" wide bar stock...or 1/4" thick. Or even angle iron...the original should've had the angle bend extended to the end of the piece to reinforce the hole.

Grind or chisel the old rivets off. Transfer the length and hole dimensions to the new bar stock. I say 1" because I'm guessing the original is about 3/4" from the photo, but go wider and thicker if needed. You want enough material around those bolt holes since the original size wasn't enough to handle the repeated sitting and climbing out...looks mostly fatigue-related failure, but the rust probably didn't help any. Cut to length and drill the holes. Reassemble using Bolts, washers, and nuts with Nylon lock feature. DONE!

Good luck!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
broken , bucket , seat , support
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado