Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

so what would you do?

I had a little run-in with a cager yesterday. I'm on my way to work on the Fatboy, and a little old lady pulls out in front of me. Not a real issue, as I had plenty of time to react and go around her. I give her a little toot of my horn and go around. At the next traffic light, as I sit waiting for the green, the same little old lady pulls up next to me and crosses into my lane stopping just inches from my left handgrip. I give her a dirty look as the light turns green (thinking she's just a bad driver) and continue on my way. At the next light, the same thing happens only this time I'm watching my mirror and she's drifting over on purpose! I look over and she gives me a snotty look!!! She starts creeping forward, still encroaching in my lane even further. I normally wouldn't even think about striking an old lady, but I seriously wanted to drag her out of her car and beat the shit out of her. What is the problem with people these days?

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: so what would you do?

We had an elderly lady customer at the shop who had really severe dementia and had no business driving...I didn't realize it right away the first time I worked on her car, but I had to take her home in her car and she insisted on driving there...

I've never been so scared in my life...she started out by taking off like she was shot out of cannon before I even had my door closed..then tore into a four lane street without slowing down or looking, headed right at a center median.

Just as I though we were going to jump it and get high centered, she suddenly steered to the left and proceeded down THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD, into oncoming traffic...luckily traffic was light and she only scared the crap out of few other drivers...

She couldn't keep the car in one lane, kept veering over the ceterline, kept creeping out farther and farther into intersections at each red light until she was literally out in cross traffic, and drove through the 20 mph zone in the condos at about 50 mph. I've never been so glad to get out of a vehicle.

When I got back to the shop with her car, a lady looked at me and said "Is that Mrs. Gellman's car?" I told her it was, and she began telling me about how she lives there in the same condos, all the neighbors are terrified of her driving, she's hit parked cars, almost run over kids, etc...

My boss knew the old gal's grown up daughter and so we called her and told her what was going on. The state police here can revoke an elderly person's DL if a family member or physician will sign off saying they are a danger to themselves or others...so that's what they did...

Dementia and other disorders can make them do some weird stuff...one thing that's kinda common is steering towards the focus of their attention without being aware of it...makes them hit parked cars and guys on harleys

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
72chevelleOhio
AF Enthusiast

...You would be surprised how many people take off when you motion them to the side so you can duke it out.....I have had a total of ONE guy pull over to the side of the road.....he just screamed at me and I got the number off his COMPANY van....
I use to do it because I wanted to fight, now its just to get everyone away from me........it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker
Dementia and other disorders can make them do some weird stuff...
Never thought about it from that angle.....and my ex is a nurse...
72chevelleOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

The lady might also have been drunk...........
Around here, reporting bad drivers to the cops is frustrating. The police have an obligation to investigate bad drivers but generally they do little more than make a phone call to the registered owner to discuss the driver's conduct.

This is generally only useful when the driver is not the owner, such as a teen age son, so the parents can take a strip off him.

The way to really get the cops attention is to call them on your cell phone immediatly as you see the bad driver and claim you are concerned because the driver may be drunk (and/or is trying to kill you) This will result in them actually attempting to pick him/her up and give them a sobriety test.

Or, instead of motioning to them that you wish to pound them, tell them, at the next light that you have called the cops (hands-free cell, they won't know the difference) because you suspect they may be drunk, and the cops are actively looking for him/her. That will often make them scoot home ...........

I have never been a fan of traffic altercations because you never know who has a gun etc. But there have been some stuff that I have seen that is so unsafe, some kind of a response is warranted.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
72chevelleOhio
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
because you never know who has a gun etc. .
I think thats why calling them out works. They don't know and don't want to find out. So they just go away and leave me alone. (thats all I really want in the first place)

Another more common reason (around here anyway) I think it works is because people are so busy (which is why they are driving stupid in the first place) they usually don't want to take the extra time to "deal with it", so I think they just give up and drive safe....or take the next road to get away.

....I never try it on the bike. Now, I pull in the clutch, rev it once and let off. Just once, not constantly revving it. Its working like a charm! ... 9 out of 10 cars will take off like a bat out of hell and I'll just hang back and laugh.....
( thats only for when no other riders are around....)
72chevelleOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

I had a similar instance.

I was on my way to work at around 5pm and a chick in a Toyota RAv4 was swerving through traffic to get ahead.
she got behind me and was sitting about a foot off my rear and we were doing 100K/hr (65m/hr)

When i came to an intersection were i was turning right, she hit me!

I got off and started hurling abuse and she told me to "get the fuck outta her way or she'll run me over"

The lights went green so i casually get back on and take off so i get the orange light and she gets the red. No deal, she runs the red.
Next intersection she taps me again!

This time i get off and she is frantically trying to reverse but hits the car behind. I get to her window and its down enough for me to grab the top and pull it out shattering the glass. the takes off and runs a red again.

I go to the cop shop with the other driver she hit.

She got three counts of "negligent driving" (4pts and $304 each offence) as well as "leaving the scene of an accident'. We only have 12 points to lose!

Stupid bitch was in a company car for a real estate that i did work for so I go to their office the next week. she was there but didn't recognise me. I was sweet as pie to her and asked to speak to her boss. I then told the boss about the whole thing. I didn't have to go back there so i don't know if she lost her job but i hope so.

Ps. the cops were dumb enough to give me her address too!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes