Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #16
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Re: hey new to bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipser2001
well fortunately i have time to look around the classifieds. i'll probably shoot for a 500 or 600, then take it easy for a while till i get used to it.

i just came back from the store, picked up a news paper, turned to the classifieds and found a 2000 ninja zx6r for $3000 with 15000 miles. i know i can't give you more than what the seller gives out but from your experience and knowledge, is this a good deal.
Sounds like a good deal...almost too good a deal. Maybe it's been crashed? Or it might just be a good deal.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #17
eclipser2001
AF Regular

i don't want to make this a habit, but is the zx6r too much bike. my guess is, hell yes, but it's not the rr. it's still a 10 sec. bike though.
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
eclipser2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep

Quote:
i don't want to make this a habit, but is the zx6r too much bike. my guess is, hell yes, but it's not the rr. it's still a 10 sec. bike though.
Well, it all depends on how you feel about it - if you feel it's too much bike, then start with something smaller. I would tend to agree with you - of course you, or any new rider, could ride it, and ride it fine with self-control, but it's not a very good bike to practice with, to build confidence on, or to make mistakes on.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

Quote:
the zx6RR is actually a little less powerful than the zx6r, since it's a 599cc and the 6r is 636, the RR is supposed to be able to get around a track better but the zx6r is supposed to be a little more street oriented. my zx6 is my first bike, if given the chance again i'd have gone with something a little tamer to learn on for a season and then jumped up to the zx6r, but i've been good/safe with it, and i managed to clock 7,000 miles in my first season and i feel totally comfortable on it. i'd recommend taking the MSF course first though, before you ride on any bike.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #20
eclipser2001
AF Regular

i called the guy with the zx6r and left a message. i'm wanting to go check it out. when i do this what should i look for, and since all i know is that the clutch is controlled with your left hand and you gear changing device is contrilled with your left foot, i cant test ride it but my dad can. what should he look for when riding it?
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
Old 05-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #21
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

All the levers should move freely/smoothly. Make sure all the lights/levers activate the proper things. Feel how the gearbox shifts. It should not pull to either side when riding on a straightaway/flat. I think there was a thread about what to look for when buying bikes a lil bit ago, but I don't have the link readily available.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 AM   #22
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

if i can give you some background on bikes to help on your decision.

early 90's bikes have less power to weight ratio's than 2000+

so a 600 from 90 will have less power and be heavier than a 2000+

a ZX6r is a race rep and as such would require a certain amout of skill to be used and even those with alot of skill would be hard pressed to get 100% out of it. i believe it would be too much to start on compared to say a 96 model ZXR or GSXR600.

bikes tend to be superceded every year with a more powerful and lighter version. not by much but it does grow. my 2003 954 "fireblade" now has the same power as the 2006 GSXR750. even though its down on 200mls, its power to weight is the same.

so i reckon the earlier models (pre2000) would be a good place to start.

but

it all comes down to control. you can have a 250 and go just as fast as a 600. you can start on a litre bike and go slow. you don't have to use all the power available to you. the only problem is if you forget and whip open the throttle, a 250 won't really bite hard but with a newish 600+ the front could come up unexpectedly or the rear could break traction. it all depends on how your sitting on the bike. i know even on my 250 i stuffed up and lost the rear. i could drag WRX's and get to potentially deadly speeds (110mph) but on a bigger bike i would have been tempted to go faster quicker and may not have survived my leaning period.

so if you think you can handle learning on a new 600. then thats fine.
all of our combined experience is available to you and has been posted in the stickies. final outcome is down to you.

the link tange wanted is
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html
Old 05-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #23
eclipser2001
AF Regular

i'll just wait to find a used 2001+ ZX6R because i can't finance a vehicle more than 5 years old. you think i can get one for about 3000 or less in decent condition?
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
Old 05-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #24
eclipser2001
AF Regular

just to widen my chances, i'll wait for a cbr600, zx6r, or the gsxr600. used 2001+ and 3000 or under. i have better chances now. is 3000 not very reasonable for any of thoes bikes?
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
Old 05-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #25
DealsGap
AF Regular

Judging a bikes performance by engine size is grossly inaccurate. I can find a bike of virtually any engine size that a beginner has no business on.
DealsGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #26
eclipser2001
AF Regular

if you are refering to the gixxer, i had second guesses about that bike anyways. but i like the idea of the ZX6R alot though. i read that it's a good beginner bike but not a great beginner bike. with a level mind i could handle it.
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
Old 05-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #27
DealsGap
AF Regular

I wasn't referring to any bike in particular. The CBR, ZX6, and GSXR are all in the same class, and are all very comparable performance wise. They are in a class I don't feel a first time rider has any business shopping in, and I don't think they make very good street bikes. I would much prefer an SV650 over all of those bikes for anything other than track use. I'm a big fan of twins, but that's certainly not the only reason I'd make that choice. The SV is not only a great beginner bike, it's one that you'll never outgrow, and is a real do-it-all machine. If you don't like it, I would recommend shopping for other sport standards like the YZF600.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #28
eclipser2001
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealsGap
I wasn't referring to any bike in particular. The CBR, ZX6, and GSXR are all in the same class, and are all very comparable performance wise. They are in a class I don't feel a first time rider has any business shopping in, and I don't think they make very good street bikes. I would much prefer an SV650 over all of those bikes for anything other than track use. I'm a big fan of twins, but that's certainly not the only reason I'd make that choice. The SV is not only a great beginner bike, it's one that you'll never outgrow, and is a real do-it-all machine. If you don't like it, I would recommend shopping for other sport standards like the YZF600.
whys that, the YZF600 looks about the same as the ZX6 and CBR in hp and 1/4 mile. that's not any more suitable than the other bikes i was looking at.
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi

Last edited by eclipser2001; 05-16-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #29
DealsGap
AF Regular

Here is another example where reading spec sheets doesn't tell the true story.

First, make sure you don't confuse the YZF600 with the R6. Two very different machines there. The YZF is a retuned version of an R6 powerplant with a much more linear and usable power curve. In otherwords, it is a MUCH better street engine than what is used in the supersport 600's. The supersports are becoming more and more track focused as the years go on with sacrifices being made in every other area of riding. The YZF will offer much better ergonomics than the SS bikes, and will be much more forgiving and easy to ride. Unless you plan on going out and club racing it, it is going to serve you better than any of the SS bikes would in every area.

I would suggest waiting a while and making yourself more familiar with the machines you're talking about buying. Making an informed decision will really pay off.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #30
eclipser2001
AF Regular

what bike do you ride if you don't mind me asking. because it really sound like you adore these YZF's. no offense is some was taken.

and are you talking about me getting a Thundercat? not the R6
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes