Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #16
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Re: new theory on why harleys are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike88
here in Illinois we exercise the right to go lidless also. Another of those things that the guys over in the desert are fighting for.
The more bikers here, the better. Welcome.
Now, at the risk of sounding more of an asshole than I already do, I am at a loss as to why anyone would actually ride without a helmet?
Personally, I would like to see my medical insurance dollars free of the burden of all the extra care the helmentless accident victim requires.

However, since I don't want to see anyone go without health care, please consider saving your skin and my dollars and wear a helmet.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:15 PM   #17
Too New To Know
AF Enthusiast

Re: new theory on why harleys are slow

im not going to hold back, its such a stupid damn law, why the HELL would you not wear your helmet, just because the law says you dont need one, doesnt mean you shouldnt fu#^ing wear it...

if the law said you didnt need seatbelts would you not fu$#ing wear one? (if you answer yes to that, then go ahead and die, your death creates employment opportunities for more needy people)

sorry if this is a little too 'forward' and sorry if ive offended anyone that rides lidless.. actually no im not, your stupid.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:30 PM   #18
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Because in the States, there are over millions of Harley riders, so if they ever a pass a law making it mandatory for all motorcyclists, it would seriously piss-off all the Harley and chopper riders.

But this is the irony: there are some areas where wearing helmet is a law for bicyclists, skateboarders, rollerbladers, etc. lol. And if you're caught not wearing one, the police has the right to hand out tickets.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:52 PM   #19
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

down here skull caps are also illegal but available to buy. there was a story in a mag about a guy who for medical reasons was exempt from head protection (how? why? i don't know) any way he copped a fine for wearing a skull cap and when he tried to expain that it was better than nothing and that he had a court order saying he was ok with no helmet, they fined him for violation of a court order!

if you need proof that open face is bad umkay, check out rotten.com. if you don't have a weak stomach that is. great photo of a harley rider with no lower face. looked like a genade had gone off in his mouth and blown off his jaw.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #20
mike88
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Fanatic
Because in the States, there are over millions of Harley riders, so if they ever a pass a law making it mandatory for all motorcyclists, it would seriously piss-off all the Harley and chopper riders.

But this is the irony: there are some areas where wearing helmet is a law for bicyclists, skateboarders, rollerbladers, etc. lol. And if you're caught not wearing one, the police has the right to hand out tickets.
Z, I agree with you 100%,but as Too New To Know,stated,"It's a stupid law",not wearing a bucket is an option,not a law. There's lots of riders here in Ill. that do wear them. ABATE here in Ill. have fought for years to keep this option open. They also fought in Fla. for you and every other rider in the state to have that option. However you decide to exercise that option is you right and freedom. The reason that I don't wear one is that I was in an accident about 10 yrs ago. No details needed, but I sheared off right mirror with my cheek. If I'd been wearing a helmet,stem would have probably pierced my skull right around the temple. Needless to say,I probably wouldn't be here writing this, if that had occurred. Now you can say,"that's a big if and what are the chances of it happening again". I say the same thing sometimes,but I still prefer it that way. I'm not a poser or a wannabe,just a working schmuck that enjoys riding and being free to use every option that I have to pursue my happiness as long as it's legal. If I roll into a state that has a lid law,I abide by that law,no matter how much I disagree with it.
mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #21
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i know you have stated your reason for not wearing a helmet and a can appreciate that. i'll start a debate that i'm sure you've already had and be able to help me (and others)understand your side.

my understanding of you post is that you had an accident and you were not wearing a helmet. if you were you may have been killed.
thats one incident that would be 'for' your side but there are so many more possible incidents where a helmet would save your life over not wearing one. the most basic and common one would be a general 'knock off' accident and you fall off you bike. natural instinct is to protect your head by pulling it forward to your chest but that increase the impact of you noggin as you hit the ground.

or how about plain old gravel rash. pain in tha ass (he he pun intended) but in your face! check out rotten.com and search for the biker i mentioned above. i'll look now but i'm not going to post a link due to offending people.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #22
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

just having a quick look at rotten and came across a photo series entitled "all the kings men". Get the drift. asian man face down, brain sitting infront af head. guess what? no helmet

THIS IS VERY GRAPHIC SO DO NOT LOOK UNLESS OVER LEGAL AGE
Old 08-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #23
mike88
AF Newbie

Blayne,went to rotten.com,very graphic stuff thru entire site. Yep,shit does happen, but if it does and I'm not a pretty sight, just close the lid. Hey,how did this all start? Oh yeah,something about snot running down your face.lol. Amazing how this got so far off track, but it's made for some interesting posts. It all comes down to doing what you want, while understanding the possible consequences, and living with or dying with those decisions that we make in life.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:04 PM   #24
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

fair call. i'll take that. i respect the way you take it as your responsibilty.

as for snot guy does it make you less of a harley guy to wear a full jacket and at least a hanky over your face in winter?

food for thought and yes i realise it isn't a harley
Old 08-28-2004, 10:22 PM   #25
mike88
AF Newbie

Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:58 PM   #26
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Although I didn't quite understand how not wearing a full-faced helmet saved your life, but I do agree that it is possible. Certainly when I've heard of incidents of skull bounce inside the helmet. Or a pro-stunter trying to do wheelie on a gixxer 1000 fell back and his brain exploded inside his helmet upon impact. I am sure that would have been no different if he wasn't wearing the helmet. But for regular crash and fall, the helmet is more than likely to save some bald spots.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #27
Too New To Know
AF Enthusiast

do you have a family? what about parents? or loved ones? when your starting your bike up and decide to leave your helmet in the garage, think of these people, not just yourself.. because you arent the one who has to live with the memory of your brains splattered on the road
Old 08-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #28
mike88
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Fanatic
Although I didn't quite understand how not wearing a full-faced helmet saved your life, but I do agree that it is possible. Certainly when I've heard of incidents of skull bounce inside the helmet. Or a pro-stunter trying to do wheelie on a gixxer 1000 fell back and his brain exploded inside his helmet upon impact. I am sure that would have been no different if he wasn't wearing the helmet. But for regular crash and fall, the helmet is more than likely to save some bald spots.
Z,as I said,I sheared off right side mirror of my bike with my cheek. Stem of mirror went along my face toward ear. If I was wearing the helmet that I have(open face 3/4),stem would have went between my head and helmet possibly piercing skull. Luckily it didn't. No I can't say for sure if it would have happened or not. When I got to e.r.,they asked me if I was wearing a helmet,and I told them that I didn't break my head, I broke my wrist. As I've said,that's the choice I've made, and those that know and love me,respect my decision. The helmet debate will go on forever, as long as we're not forced to wear them. I still see a lot of sportbike riders(real young)wearing helmets,shorts and gymshoes,riding like idiots. When they go down or crawl up a cages tailpipe,those are the ones that send shivers up my spine and make me shake my head. Even worse, I recently saw some kid on his bike with a cell phone crooked between his shoulder and his ear. Those are the ones you really want just slap some sense into.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:47 PM   #29
mx6rrr
AF Regular

First off, omg some kid on bike on cell phone!?!?!?! That is sad, I use my bike as an excuse to stay off the cell phone!
Glad to hear your ok Mike.
And as an oposite to your story Mike, my Uncle James was in a Motorcycle accident last year, was going 25 a car had opened its door and he slammed into it, he flipped over bike and landed on his head. He spent a week in ER and went through a month of rehab. He couldnt talk and almost lost his vision. The doctors at one of the buisiest hospitals in the state said he was the biggest save of the year. All because he wasnt wearing helmet...But I do know what your saying, and this will always be a debate. But I just had to put my 2 cents in.

My friends joke that a full face helmet makes for an open casket...Brain bucket....Not fun to think about but maybe true....I had to hop into this conversation because of 1-Harleys, Im from Wisconsin (the home of Harley) and damn, there are alot of them here. 2-chicks riding bikes, I saw a hot blonde riding a sport touring, looked kinda like Yamaha 600R. I wanted to tail her and be her riding partner () but the gas lady took a LONG TIME to ring me out for the 5 bucks in gas I had.... Grrrr! 3-I had to tell my new war story. I have 2 friends that hate me now since they don't have bikes yet, to make the story short, Chadd and Ian went behind work where we have a car club and we race/drift back there all the time...so I knew what was coming and didn't really want to do it since I knew I would win (hahaha), but I was up for an adrenaline rush so I say hey, what the heck. I had made a lap around back there just 5 minutes before that so I knew there was and no gravel...I pull next to his Z24 and his tires start to spin...I let him go for a few seconds and then I keep my Honda F4 in first, pull up next to him...he looks really serious, I shrug my sholders, raise my hand as to say "is that all you got?" hit the clutch, hit the gear, hit the gas, and Im gone. I've never felt my bike be so light in the front through 1st and 2nd. WOOO HOOO, what a rush. It was fun, but I would have to make a point to say that racing is bad, and it is dangerous, and it is illegal so dont do it. But I just cant help myself. Hahaha.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #30
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

don't know whats more fun. the rush of the race or wiping the smile of a tools face

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes