Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
535cheetah
AF Newbie

Silverado braking help...05, 1500 4wd z71 ext cab

So I took my truck to a shop i trusted to get a diagnosis - they said my drivers side caliper was hanging up. I then got all the parts i needed from advance auto. 2 reman. calipers, 2 rotors and wagner brake pads. (the rear brakes are drums and were not touched) everything went smoothly taking the parts off and putting on all the new parts. i checked over the new calipers as well to make sure everything was good before putting them on. now my problem is... I drove 30 miles after installing said parts, and
can hear a rubbing noise. at lower speeds 0-50 mph. and when i got home i threw some water on each rim/rotor... passenger side no real problem. driver side - rotor was Hot enough to sound like i was putting a hamburger on the grill.... which i do not understand why.. or if this is normal??? the pins on the calipers had grease on them and the caliper overall, seemed to move very freely and nice when i installed them. i put anti-seize on the new brackets so the new pads wouldnt get "hung" up but i fear
they may still be rubbing on the rotor more then they should be for some reason. ps. there is no pull or shaking on the vehicle when braking.
535cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Silverado braking help...05, 1500 4wd z71 ext cab

so the front rotors and calipers were replaced. the calipers are used rebuilt calipers. these I have found the be defective. reason is these are just cleaned and new seals. the pistons maybe damaged or the wrong spec. drive just a mile or less. then touch all the rotors with your finger being careful not to get burned they all 4 should feel the same temp. now lets say the driver side is too hot. then you take off the caliper but leave the brake line connected. you have 2 pistons on this caliper. push down on the brake pedal easy and see how the pistons pop out .. if one does not move much but the other does then you know its poor quality. these should have warranty so get another caliper and when you install the replacement do this test again to see that both pistons push out the same and not binding. do not make the pistons fall out though !!!! gets messy... also using a C clamp push the piston back in one at a time see if they both go back with the same effort. with the caliper not connected to any brake lines you should be able to move those pistons with your fingers.in and out with the line open so air can get out/in.. post back how you made out .

Last edited by j cAT; 08-01-2015 at 07:23 PM.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
535cheetah
AF Newbie

True Jcat, they are reman. calipers... tried looking for brand new ones (without paying with body parts) but no luck. Ill try what you had mentioned, like you said the seals were new, new pins etc... looked real nice but i guess they could be defective.

Thanks.
535cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535cheetah View Post
True Jcat, they are reman. calipers... tried looking for brand new ones (without paying with body parts) but no luck. Ill try what you had mentioned, like you said the seals were new, new pins etc... looked real nice but i guess they could be defective.

Thanks.
I just worked one of these a couple months ago. front caliper both sides would drag intermittently. when you hit the brakes the truck did not brake smoothly like a slight hesitation then good brake power. the caliper dis mounting and then applying brake pressure revealed the piston binding. I have had many issues with re built calipers binding... make sure you have the C clamps work the pistons in and brake pressure to force out . they should move easy when not in the bracket.. one thing most all do not do including the so called experts. when you replace pads or do any other type of brake work make sure before pushing back the cal pistons that you open the bleed screw. work one side at a time not both sides. keep the brake fluid system closed as much as possible do not allow brake fluid to drain out of the lines try to limit this .. with the damaged fluid being pushed into the ABS this is not good. you do not want to mess with that on these vehicles...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
kdadeo
AF Newbie

If you didn't get a bad caliper, I would check the frame to caliper brake hose it may have come apart inside allowing pressurized fluid into the caliper but impeding the flow back out just enough to cause that brake to drag, I've had that issue twice over the years.
kdadeo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
brake , calipers , grinding , rotors , rubbing
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado