Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 05:06 AM   #1
jellyfish1234
AF Newbie

Question Can I add car smart card key on my own? The answer is...

The answer is YES!!!

There are some situations that involves keys: add new keys but the originals are all there, one of the original key is lost, all keys lost.

To portrait it simply, car key contains chip and remote and the shell. So if you have a tool to program chip and knowing the remote frequency, and assemble them, let car ECU matching with the new key. It’s not very difficult to “make” a key yourself.

But to analyze it in details, each brand has different immobilizer system. IMMO prevents the engine from starting without using vehicle’s authorized key. Nowadays IMMO systems are very advanced, such as Benz, you can’t even buy more keys where you buy the car, only made in German manufacturer. So what you see in movies that theft starts a car's engine is by hot wiring is not possible on cars made in decades, because ignition systems are disabled by the ECU.*

Locksmiths know how to make a car key, not only need what I mention above, but also know the the exact car’s IMMO system. This can be some secret in the industry, info you need to paid for. Knowing what kinds of the IMMO, locksmith can get into the related ECU then write info in chip and update the ECU with latest key info(matching).

Maybe you will find that it’s actually not easy to program a key on your own, but look on the bright side, cars are difficult to be stolen these days. Locksmiths also don’t have these much info in their minds, they just use professional tools. So if I have that tool, maybe it could be my money maker too.
jellyfish1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: Can I add car smart card key on my own? The answer is...

On the newer F 150, as long as you have two keys you can add more on your own. If you have one or none then it requires hook up to special software to add keys. The thinking is that if you left a key in and it is stolen, they can't just program more keys. Same if they steal it with a tow vehicle. And their logic is that if you have two key, you are most likely the owner and should be able to get another key on your own. I went online to a key place and bought a blank cut with remote for my 2015. Took to locksmith to get cut. Made sure the cut was correct by unlocking door and moving one click in ignition. Then having the other two keys ready. With seatbelt off to hear tone and doors locked, put in first key and turned to on (not start) and after two bings turned it off. Immediately put in second and turned to on, then after two bings turned it off. Put in new key and turned to on. It does some bings, unlocks doors, then displays that key was added on the instrument cluster with the key number. The display goes away quickly. I wrote it down just in case someday in the future it is needed, but for what I don't know. But I'd hate myself if I later found out I needed it for something. And now I have 3 working keys and if I lose one, I can do it again without paying over 200 programming fee plus the cost of the key/remote if I was down to one.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
immobilizer , key , program
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series