Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Mordaeterna
AF Newbie

Smile Blower Works Intermittently 01 Alero

Hello, fellow car folks! This is my first post in this forum, so please go easy on me.

I have an '01 Alero V6. I bought it used (got a VERY good deal) to use as my daily driver.

The lower 2 blower speeds have never worked; the 3 higher speeds always have. Today, as I was driving home in the rain, my blower totally stopped working. I didn't touch the control - it just stopped by itself.

For a while now, the blower will *sometimes* only work on the highest speed if I jiggle the knob around and play with it. This means that there are times when, out of 5 speeds, I have access to only the 3rd and 4th.

Obviously, I pulled over because my windows were foggy from the rain and I had no defrost. I sat on the side of the road and checked all the fuses and relays associated with the blower - all good.

I then decided to start the car again and turn the speed selector knob. Lo and behold, as I got to the highest setting, the blower would TRY to come on. I just kept fiddling and I eventually got it to stay on the highest speed, but no others would work. I drove the rest of the way home (since I had high defrost... YAY!) and when I pulled in my drive, all three of my blower speeds worked again.

From what I understand, the lack of the two lowest speeds is due to a faulty resistor. $20 fix, easy, no problem. I'm concerned about the switch, as well, and I've contacted places like AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc... they've all told me I need a brand new climate control cluster because the contacts behind my fan speed selector knob are worn out. Does this make sense to you and, if so, can I not just replace the part that selects the fan speed? (The other two controls in the cluster work just fine. The temperature changes when I turn the center knob, and the airflow changes when I move from floor to dash to defrost.)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Mordaeterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Blower Works Intermittently 01 Alero

replace the blower resistor first....easy fix....under dash passenger side behind blower...just follow the harness from the blower motor back to the resistor block.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero