Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
aarons mom
AF Newbie

99 accord power steering

so I bought this '99 Accord. It had 3 codes that I have been working on clearing and that is going well. While in the process I discovered that the front cross member was in real bad shape. The seller fixed the cross member but now I am having power steering issues. The car started making noise and I checked the level and the fluid was low. I started asking questions to the man that repaired the cross member. Come to find out after putting the new cross member in they filled the power steering system with Tranny fluid and not even Honda tranny fluid. I have driven approx. 400 mi. with this in my system. Do you think I have done major damage to my power steering? and if so, what should I look for to confirm this? Tomorrow we are flushing and replacing with import fluid (not Honda brand just in case the problem is at the rack) Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
aarons mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 99 accord power steering

I've seen a few people run power steering systems on transmission fluid and it worked fine. The first time I saw it was when I helped a friend swap the engine in his Jeep Wrangler. When it was time to fill the power steering system, he pulled out a bottle of transmission fluid and insisted on using that instead. He justified this by finding a bottle of power steering fluid and saying "rub some of this between your fingers" I did and it felt really thin. He then told me to wipe it off and then do the same with the transmission fluid. It had a smoother texture and seemed like it would be a better lubricant. People who do this swear that it protects the power steering pump and keeps it from wearing out.
Anyway, since both are essentially types of hydraulic fluid being used in a hydraulic system I doubt there has been any damage. Also, I'm not sure that Honda's "special" power steering fluid is strictly necessary. I've had 3 Hondas and I ran them on regular power steering fluid without a single problem.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
aarons mom
AF Newbie

Thank you
Old 02-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
somick
AF Enthusiast

My power steering lever in my 99 Accord was low. I do not know where it went but in the meantime I did not want to remove the rack and pinion boot band to see it is filled with fluid. Couple of months ago I filled the reservoir with ATF. So far so good.

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #5
aarons mom
AF Newbie

well today it took my son 5 sec. to find the leak. Since the new cross member was put in, the steering had been disconnected. The leak was at the O ring on the top of the pump. we drained the tranny fluid that was in the system, cleaned it up real good and put it back together. put some Lucas in it. I still have a tiny leak, but it will have to stay that way while waiting for a new O ring from Honda.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 AM   #6
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Some cars actually call for ATF in the power steering. My Stealth does.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
somick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons mom View Post
well today it took my son 5 sec. to find the leak. Since the new cross member was put in, the steering had been disconnected. The leak was at the O ring on the top of the pump. we drained the tranny fluid that was in the system, cleaned it up real good and put it back together. put some Lucas in it. I still have a tiny leak, but it will have to stay that way while waiting for a new O ring from Honda.
Well, that was an easy fix!

somick is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
99accord , pinion , power , rack , steering
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid