Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
sankar8381
AF Newbie

Turbo charger

what is the average power produced by the"compressor turbine of the turbo charger" at an rpm range 3500 to 5000?
sankar8381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Turbo charger

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you asking what percentage power increase to expect over that engine speed range at the crankshaft, or are you asking what the average pressure generated by the turbine is? There are a whole lot of factors that go in to each, so you're going to need to provide more details (4, 6, or 8 cylinder, turbo size, gasoline or diesel, etc.).

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
sankar8381
AF Newbie

The real stuff is that ,i was thinking to delete the the air compressor part of the turbine of the turbo and connect a generator to the turbine so that work done in compressing the air would be used to produce electricity and recharge the vehicle battery.its actually a part of a hybrid proj.is it possible to do it?are there any probs?
sankar8381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

So you're actually looking to discover how much torque can be developed by a turbo. I'm not sure how to determine that short of connecting a variable load on it. The first problem that comes to mind is any large generator is going to require quite a bit of power to develop much current for charging. Think of those small household generators that use a 10HP gas engine to supply 5000W of power. At 120V that's roughly 40A. I don't think a turbo will develop nearly that same amount of torque as a 10HP motor, and you will likely need a pretty good amount of currently to keep the battery stack replenished in a hybrid application.

What do you anticipate for the needed charge current? From an efficiencies standpoint you might be better off to do with a belt driven generator powered from a forced air drive engine.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankar8381 View Post
The real stuff is that ,i was thinking to delete the the air compressor part of the turbine of the turbo and connect a generator to the turbine so that work done in compressing the air would be used to produce electricity and recharge the vehicle battery.its actually a part of a hybrid proj.is it possible to do it?are there any probs?
BMW took a serious look at similar technology to increase the energy reclamation efficiency to an internal combustion engine.

To be effective, one wants to reclaim the wasted thermal energy, but not impede exhaust flow. I have read, as a rule-of-thumb, turbos reclaim a maximum of 10% thermal energy. BMW was looking at a thermal expansion system, like a steam engine powered by exhaust heat, and geared to the crankshaft.

An alternative is simply to convert thermal energy directly to electricity. There are devices already on the market to do just this, but have some limitations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkali-...tric_converter
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-thermal-converter.htm
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
power , turbo
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical