Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
Karan
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT Randomly Loses Power

Update, guess what I found in the weirdest place? The ECU! For some reason it was a little bit in front if the passenger side wheel well! And remember how I said the check engine light was on when it died on Tuesday? Well, the ECU wasn't producing a code so something must be up with it.
Karan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

In front of the wheel well, like closer to the front bumper? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be bolted to a bracket on the firewall. I know the older ones are under the wiper cowl, and my '04 is on the firewall... so unless they moved it there for a couple years, you're on to something there. Was the check engine light back on once the engine restarted, or just while it was off after dying? It should be on with the key on/cranking and the engine not running.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
Karan
AF Newbie

I do not know if the ECU was moved there within the past couple of years, or the condition it was in when they found it. Last summer my dad got a stand alone ECU for his truck and we put it somewhat near the battery, or was it the fuse box? Either way I guess I just associated the ECU with being up top and easy to find after that. As for the check engine light, it stayed on when the car started running again and continued to stay on when I pulled into the shop.
Karan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

I guess we'll need some input from someone who knows these cars inside and out.

If the light was on, they should be reading a code. Have it checked at an auto parts store just to be sure you aren't getting the run-around on this. We've had more cars than ever come in for repairs that other shops said were needed that were entirely unnecessary (mostly dealerships, but a couple independents), not saying they're trying to get out of actually having to fix this, but it's a possibility especially with the economy what it is, and dishonest people that do low quality work are doing everything they can to stay in business.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #20
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan View Post
Update, guess what I found in the weirdest place? The ECU! For some reason it was a little bit in front if the passenger side wheel well! And remember how I said the check engine light was on when it died on Tuesday? Well, the ECU wasn't producing a code so something must be up with it.
That's where the PCM is factory located on 95-2000 or to whenever J-bodies. You may not have a code because there's no code set. Remember I told you it could be a problem in the wiring circuit for ignition.
manicmechanix is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
help! , in gear , loses power , sunfire gt
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis