Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: How important is the exhaust note?
I prefer a good exhaust note 6 66.67%
I don't really care 1 11.11%
The quiter the better 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
monterd1
AF Newbie

How important is a great sounding car?

Hello all,

I'm an undergrad conducting some research so please respond to this anonymous poll. Since electric and hydrogen cars are competing for our futures, I'd like to know if the fact that a hydrogen internal combustion engine would still be something like the loud cars we have today is something that makes the hydrogen car more attractive as opposed to an electric car that makes no noise at all.

thanks for your opinions.
monterd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: How important is a great sounding car?

A hydrogen -powered car would most likely be a fuel cell (electric) car, because it would be far more efficient than internal combustion, and thus, virtually silent.

But I see your point about the noise. A certain amount of vehicle noise enhances safety for pedestrians. I suspect virtually -silent electric vehicles are probably more hazardous to pedestrians.

Also internal combustion noise is culturally important for some people. I, and others loved a louder exhaust note when we were younger drivers. As we get older, we want it quiet - vehicle noise is simply annoying.
So, it would be most interesting to correlate your findings for age and gender.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #3
edna85.helton
AF Newbie

Its very important great sounding car.
edna85.helton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
SierraB
Banned

Nice thread, some cars today are too quiet or sound like vacuums. As I have no problem with engine sound but it should not be too loud Because sound of the engine is is important as any other part of the car. In part that is how the car communicates with the driver and sound waves and vibrations of a well tuned engine are just majestic. I think diesel car sounds really pathetic.
SierraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
sdrosos
AF Newbie

I think hydrogen would be better because you get water after the burning of the fuel which is exactly what you put in. Electricity has to be made. The sound doesn't matter to me because I'd rather hear the engine and exhaust, but as long as you wouldn't have to crank up the radio if you wanted to hear it, I'd still choose hydrogen. It's the perfect fuel, or at least better than gasoline.
sdrosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Teddie
AF Newbie

I grew up with several Classic Saab 900s which have numerous pleasurable noises from the starters, door latches (when you pop the door open), and the sound the door makes when you close it. Some of them even had noises associated with Turbo lag and all but one had a manual transmission. The quietest vehicle my family has that I often ride or drive is an 05 Sedona and I sometimes find myself wondering why I cannot here the engine, but it is noisier at highway speeds which can get tiresome. Sometimes I even try to start the engine after I have already turned it on. Consumer Reports gives current Hondas bad remarks for their higher amount of road noise than other car makers, but I like hearing the engine and other noises since I do not like driving or riding in a coffin unless I can afford a Rolls Royce.

On a side note I had two vehicles (an 87 Caprice Estate and a 95 Voyager) which were not in the best shape and they would sometimes stall so sometimes when I cannot here the engine of a vehicle I worry that is might have stalled on me. Just a trained response that is hard to get rid of, like a dog drooling when it hears a dinner bell.
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
awesome , economy , exhaust , hydrogen , sound
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General