Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!
Street/Track Racing Stories! Beat any Mustangs today? Tell everyone about what your Honda can do! (Keep it clean)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 10:41 PM   #31
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Re: Re: 2004 honda civic Vs 1978 camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngvr4
hold on, doesn't it depend on the motor he gets?
Exactly. Stop thinking the Camaro will beat the Civic simply for the fact it's a Camaro. Look at the cars for what they are, don't buy into the hype. Those Camaros may have been quick for their time, but we've advanced a lot since then. 25 years of decay doesn't exactly make them any faster, either.

Skyline_Racer - What model Civic do you have? Do you know what engine he has? Can you tell if his car runs well, or does it smoke or backfire or hesitate and stuff?
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:20 PM   #32
chevydrummer76
AF Enthusiast

yah its really hard to say with older cars, because a lot of them dont have the origianal motor. If he was smart and got a decent rebuilt 350 he'll win it easily. I got a pro built 350 for 895$ with 300 hp so there not that expensive. If you hear the sound of a big thumping cam.....run
chevydrummer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:52 PM   #33
igota20hpweedeater
AF Enthusiast

it really doesnt cost a lot to soup up a camaro...not like it does for the imports. Damn all u have to do to a camaro to get a spike in hp is to get a mild cam job/exhaust. And the thing is, its so easy to do that in american cars....its a bitch in import cars! Just race and see who wins. Worst comes to worst u lose...so what u got beat by a camaro with a v-8, if u win then u got some braggin rights, u beat a v-8 with a 4 banger.
igota20hpweedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:02 AM   #34
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan
Re: 2004 honda civic Vs 1978 camaro

The only imports that are expensive to mod are European and high end Asian cars. Civics are fairly cheap, and there are thousand of parts out there for them...Now, try finding an Exhaust, intake, and chip for a E46 325i for under 2k...

However, I have figured out a way you can beat him even if he did put in a big bad ass engine:

Step One-Take everything out of the car, and I mean everything. Carpet, spare, back seats, ac, radio....make it to the point to where all you have is a drivers seat, stearing wheel, stick, and nesacery gauges. Take out the windows, sound deadaning material...everything.

Step Two- Buy the motor out of an NSX. TT it, N20, full engine overhaul, total free flow exhaust (no cats or resonators), intake, chip, cams, port it, ignition wires, spark plugs, everything you can think of. Then drop it in. Then upgrade your tranny, get some drag slicks, and a roll cage.

Step Three-Procede to smoke, inhale, injest, suck on, or otherwise take every narcotic you can find, cuz if youve done all of the above, then your gonna need to be REALLY f*cked up to have the balls to race in it...

Step Four-race
CassiesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:30 AM   #35
caleb56
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2004 honda civic Vs 1978 camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan
The only imports that are expensive to mod are European and high end Asian cars. Civics are fairly cheap, and there are thousand of parts out there for them...Now, try finding an Exhaust, intake, and chip for a E46 325i for under 2k...

However, I have figured out a way you can beat him even if he did put in a big bad ass engine:

Step One-Take everything out of the car, and I mean everything. Carpet, spare, back seats, ac, radio....make it to the point to where all you have is a drivers seat, stearing wheel, stick, and nesacery gauges. Take out the windows, sound deadaning material...everything.

Step Two- Buy the motor out of an NSX. TT it, N20, full engine overhaul, total free flow exhaust (no cats or resonators), intake, chip, cams, port it, ignition wires, spark plugs, everything you can think of. Then drop it in. Then upgrade your tranny, get some drag slicks, and a roll cage.

Step Three-Procede to smoke, inhale, injest, suck on, or otherwise take every narcotic you can find, cuz if youve done all of the above, then your gonna need to be REALLY f*cked up to have the balls to race in it...

Step Four-race
I dont think that camaro is going to be running that fast.
caleb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:37 AM   #36
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan

Yeah, but I mean, if you have the ability to do all that I said....why the hell not? I mean, that would be f*ckin mad...of course you do have to figure out where to stick the motor.
CassiesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 04:17 PM   #37
nbw
AF Regular

Dont even try to race the car if its brand new. Let the engine brake in.
And there is no way to tell what the camaro is running. He could have a brand new crate engine with 450+ hp/tq or he can have some junkyard engine he needed to get it to run. Plus it depends on what kind of condition the camaro is in and for an old car like that that is a major factor to consider.
But with all that said I 'think' the camaro will end up winning if you guys race(wich I highly advise you do NOT)
nbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:08 PM   #38
chevytrucks92
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 2004 honda civic Vs 1978 camaro

"Even a "lightly modded" 350 (headers, exhaust, air filter and maybe a shift kit, common cheap mods for young people)"

Doing what you just said to a 350 (or any V-8) is going to give very noticeable gains. Headers and exhaust alone will give the 350 around 20 hp at the back tires. And you forgot the most popular mod for a SBC and that's a cam/lifters/rockers swap. You're talking around the same price as buying headers and exhaust too, so its not like its expensive to do (all though it does get a little more involved then just bolting on headers).

And maybe you're right, maybe the kid with the Camaro done a hack job on the engine swap. He may have to put more oil in his car then gas. And in that case, he would probably beat him. But then again, he may have went all out and bought a GM Performance crate engine, and in that case, it doesn't matter what he bolts on his Civic, he's going to loose.

I say untill the kid with the Civic (sorry, i can't remember his screen name) replies back and gives some more info on this "Mystery Camaro", then there is no way to tell who will for sure win. But even if the Camaro has a half-assed, poor running engine, the race would be close, because its not like a stock Civic is going to scare anybody in the 1/4.

355 SBC, Turbo 400, 5.13 gear, IHRA Certified to 8.50 in the 1/4
Last Race (10-6-07) So its been awhile...
Dial: 6.77, RT: -.0001, 60': 1.4360, 1/8th: 6.7942 @ 100.65 mph
Fastest Pass of '07 (10-6-07)
60': 1.4360, 330': 4.3453, 1/8th: 6.7942 @ 100.65 mph

25 and in BIG TIME Debt Crew member #2
Deuce's Wild Racing: Take a Ride on the WILD SIDE
chevytrucks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:21 PM   #39
pnoiSR20
AF Enthusiast

if u can pull it off...well kudos to u then.
pnoiSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:14 PM   #40
Underground_Killah
AF Enthusiast

to be honest, i'm not one of those "eww ricer bastards" because honestly i think i'm the only one here that isn't (by here i mean alabama) so i'm surrounded by them, and usually i can just put them in their place and blow a kiss at their girl while they are attempting to use their vtec. however, this is not a 60's model camaro, nor do you know the shape it's in mechanically. sure he dropped an engine in it, but do you know what else? like is it an auto/man? What condition is the tranny/clutch? if he just put an engine in and did nothing else to help the performance, you may be alright, but to race a brand new 04 civic that you havn't broken the engine into would be suicide. Seriously, tell the guy "hey it's a new car, i gotta break in the engine, i'll roll over and tell your girlfriend when i'm ready" let him know your in control of this thing, or you'll just end up being a lil punk kid that get's owned by a younger muscle car.

R.I.P. Hypsi87, A.k.a. Andy Filson
Underground_Killah is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!