Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
1stRAM
AF Newbie

Unhappy warning lisghts on ,no gauges,runs fine

i know this subject was posted by someone else but i'm desperate to get a solution. we bought this truck from a private owner 2 weeks ago and last week out of the blue the ABS light came on once or twice and went out right away. then the next day ABS and airbag came on, when the airbag comes on the gauges die. if they stay off long enough the odometer reads "no bus". then they all of a sudden come back on. the truck runs fine, but it's doing it more often now. my husband has checked the wiring/connections and that doesn't seem to make a diff., he's switched the gauge cluster with one we got and that didn't help. one service guy said it might be the BCM but when i tried to get that part from the dealer(2 diff. ones) they said that truck doesn't have a BCM. this is very frustrating.it's a 2000 ram 2500-5.9L. any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
1stRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge
Re: warning lisghts on ,no gauges,runs fine

The no bus thing means there's no communication between the PCM and the modules. So I've been told, even though PCM stands for primary control module.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
Merlin02131
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Merlin02131 Send a message via Yahoo to Merlin02131
No Bus Shows in Mileage window

I just had that same issue , I have 2001 Ram 1500 2Wd , 318 , Auto . I had first saw the Brake and ABS lites come on , and after getting some gas a few weeks ago , I lost everything ( all guages ) . They ( the dealership ) replaced the abs module saying that it shorted out . They put it on the diags and found there was no ccd bus communication and abs codes mismatched to vin . They installed a new abs module and set pinion . About a couple days later , the ABS and Brake lite came back on. They read the diags and found out that the brake pressure limiter was shorted and corroded . so they replaced it . My first question was why they did'nt do this when they first had it in there , but oh well . Can't ask for perfection lol ! Hope this helps

Regards

Rich
Merlin02131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:09 AM   #4
1stRAM
AF Newbie

Smile

Well, finally gave up and took it to the mech. and after 3 days they found a loose wire leading to the PDC from somewhere under the hood. so far so good, i hope it lasts. thanks for your help and ideas and i hope our solution might help someone else with this same situation. obviously there are many different fixes for many of the same symptoms.anyway, thanks again!!!
1stRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
dek139
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: warning lisghts on ,no gauges,runs fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stRAM
i know this subject was posted by someone else but i'm desperate to get a solution. we bought this truck from a private owner 2 weeks ago and last week out of the blue the ABS light came on once or twice and went out right away. then the next day ABS and airbag came on, when the airbag comes on the gauges die. if they stay off long enough the odometer reads "no bus". then they all of a sudden come back on. the truck runs fine, but it's doing it more often now. my husband has checked the wiring/connections and that doesn't seem to make a diff., he's switched the gauge cluster with one we got and that didn't help. one service guy said it might be the BCM but when i tried to get that part from the dealer(2 diff. ones) they said that truck doesn't have a BCM. this is very frustrating.it's a 2000 ram 2500-5.9L. any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I just purchased an 01 Ram 1500, I had the same problem, it took a long time to find the problem because evertime they looked at the truck it was ok and they could not create the problem. I had the problem come on and drove it to the dodge dealer with out shutting down the truck. they said it was the ABS module, yesterday the Dodge dealer replaced the ABS module at a cost of $520 I will drive it and let you know if it comes back...
dek139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
elkhunter63
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: warning lisghts on ,no gauges,runs fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek139
I just purchased an 01 Ram 1500, I had the same problem, it took a long time to find the problem because evertime they looked at the truck it was ok and they could not create the problem. I had the problem come on and drove it to the dodge dealer with out shutting down the truck. they said it was the ABS module, yesterday the Dodge dealer replaced the ABS module at a cost of $520 I will drive it and let you know if it comes back...
I have been going thru this same thing, lights on, no bus and runs fine.2000 Ram 1500. All the documents say its your ccd bus from the cluster to the pcm module. I tore the cluster out tested the white black and the violet brown pair that the bus rides on and they were ok. I bought a used cluster and still the same problem. I finally found a fix to my problem and it took 5 minutes and no $$$$$$$. In the fuse box under the hood is a module called Engine inline and it has a phillips screw. I unscrewed it and reseated the plug and my gauges started working. I did remove the ground from the battery just in case. Hopefully this helps. I was desperate and couldn't waste $1000.00 on my truck right now.
elkhunter63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
407D
AF Newbie

YES, I had the same problem, and it WAS the Engine Inline connector also. I just tightened that one screw and everything works fine.

A Cheap fix for what could have been an expensive repair bill.

Last edited by 407D; 10-06-2006 at 07:50 PM.
407D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
jalenridge
AF Newbie

My father in law had a similar problem this week with his 2001 RAM 1500. His ABS, Air Bag, and BUS warning lights were staying on. Meanwhile, he had no running lights, power windows, or heater; and the speedometer wasn't working. Other than this, the truck ran fine. Yesterday, he and our local mechanic figured out that there was a loose connection (a wire had come unclipped) in the steering column, probably due to the fact that my father in law adjusts the angle of the steering column every time he gets in or out of the truck. Apparently, the wires in the steering column were bound quite tightly together, and there was not enough play for repeated vertical adjustment of the steering column.

The repair cost $60 cdn. and a case of beer.
jalenridge is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10