Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
-al-
AF Newbie

Trannny takes a while to lock into gear & slips

When I go into drive or reverse it takes a while to go into gear...at least 5 seconds or more. Even worse, when I give it gas (starting from a stop) sometimes it slips, then I let off the gas and it finally fully engages then its OK. It is worse when starting from a stop on a HILL, or trying to push snow (snowplowing). Hapenes in all gears (4lo, 4hi, and 2hi). Sometimes it just wont move unless I really give it lots of gas...like its stuck in mud. Trans rebuild time? How much $?

-AL 99 ram 2500 5.9
-al- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
TurboDuck
AF Newbie

If you haven't done it yet, get the fluid and filter changed. Now!!! Also make sure that you / they use the correct Fluid. ATF +3, or ATF +4. I've saved many transmissions that way. Brought some back to life as well.

-Gary-
TurboDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
-al-
AF Newbie

Re: Trannny takes a while to lock into gear & slips

Thanks for the advice. It goes to the shop monday for a look at the tranny. That would be great if a filter/fluid fixes it considering I just spent $1750 on a broken valve/timing chain job.

-AL
Old 01-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
TurboDuck
AF Newbie

Good Luck.

A lot of these trans shops recommend a rebuild at the drop of a hat. Big $$, usually $1200.00 +

I always change my own fluid and filter, it's a messy job, but at least I know what's being put into my trans. And, I get to see what's in the pan when I take it off. It's only about $50.00 for the fluid and filter, and takes about 45 minutes to an hour to do the whole job.

-Gary-
TurboDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
feduptranny
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDuck
Good Luck.

A lot of these trans shops recommend a rebuild at the drop of a hat. Big $$, usually $1200.00 +

I always change my own fluid and filter, it's a messy job, but at least I know what's being put into my trans. And, I get to see what's in the pan when I take it off. It's only about $50.00 for the fluid and filter, and takes about 45 minutes to an hour to do the whole job.

-Gary-

While you have the pan dropped it would be a good time to adjust the bands. I would also remove the check valve that is in one of the tran lines next to the rad.While you have the lines apart you can also blow out the cooler and rad. These are a few things you can do yourself and save a few $$.
feduptranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
-al-
AF Newbie

Update...tranny shop said trans is on its last leg. They adjusted a band to help the slipping problem - Its much better now. They said $1800 for a rebuild and $2500 for a remanufactured one from dodge. I'll be easy on it until I have extra cash for a repair. Anyone ever used rebuilt trannys from autozone? They want $1800 for one with a 15 month warentee.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #7
Redwanr50
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Redwanr50

Also check out Jasper. I have a rebuilt from them in my 1500 now. I can't give you any details since it was installed before I got the truck. I found the rebuild number on the side of the tranny and called them. It was installed in April of 2003 and going strong. www.jasperengines.com
Redwanr50 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10