Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 06:28 PM   #1
Business810
AF Newbie

Upstream oxygen sensor

I was on my way home from Harrisburg on a road trip with some friends of mine in my 1996 GXE automatic when I hit a large pothole (the PA turnpike needs some serious work) and the check engine light immediately came on. I pulled over and double checked some of the big stuff (engine temp, oil, all the electical connections and fuses) and found everything was fine. The max started and ran fine, so I just continued home because I only had 70 more miles or so. I get home and run the diagnostic on it and get code 0503, upstream oxygen sensor on the right bank. I can't get under the car so I need to take it to someone. Should I go back to the dealer, another mechanic, or what? And how much should I expect this to cost me?

Thanks,
Jon
Business810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:29 PM   #2
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
take it to nissan, send a copy of the estimate to the town maintenance department. they will compensate you, especially if you're not the first complaint. they were doing construction around here and my friend dented his rim and the town paid for it.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:05 AM   #3
Business810
AF Newbie

Ok thanks. One more thing, I know driving on it the way it is kills the gas mileage because the sensor helps determine the air-fuel mixture. Is this bad for the car? I might not be able to take it in to have this fixed right away, so I'm wondering if I need to really limit my driving until then or if it just means I'll have to buy more gas.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:22 PM   #4
Business810
AF Newbie

Alright, big problem. I'm checking the code one more time before I go to take the car in to have the sensor fixed, and I get the code, but then I clear it. I take it out for a drive for about 5 minutes, idles a little rough and low but otherwise it's fine. A few minutes later I go to start it again and it cranks but won't turn over. I checked all the usual stuff and found I had been leaking some oil. I fixed that, added more oil, and it still wouldn't turn over. My battery is fine, there is 3/4 of a tank of gas, all the connections and everything under the hood look fine. Does anyone have any ideas because I am so screwed if I have to have this car towed to some mechanic to get it fixed?