Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
bobbyboy-g
AF Newbie

2003 Impala 4t65e transmission problem

Hey Guys, i think i got a serious problem with my 2003 impala 3.4.... a few months back i was having trouble with my transmission it was shifting hard and a po742 code came up TCC switch stuck on...i added some trans additive and disconnected the negative cable wire as per advise here on the forum and it did the trick until 2 weeks ago when the code came back on and the car started to shift real hard upon driving it...last week when i started to drive home from work the car would cut off when i shifted into drive..after getting it home i went out and started to go through the gears in my driveway it shifted fine, so i took it for a testdrive all of the sudden at a stop sign the car wont go into gear, i cut it off about 5 minutes and presto it goes into gear again...well this week we decided to change the TCC switch which took many hours of intense labor..after all that effort i start the car and it shifted just fine and smooth for about 10 minutes, just when i am going to go for a drive the car does not go into gear...i cut it off for a little while and it does go into gear again but then it starts to make a loud WHINING sound and again it WONT go into gear...does anyone have any idea what might be the problem???? needless to say i am fed up with this car any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance
bobbyboy-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
impalalover
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Impala 4t65e transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboy-g
Hey Guys, i think i got a serious problem with my 2003 impala 3.4.... a few months back i was having trouble with my transmission it was shifting hard and a po742 code came up TCC switch stuck on...i added some trans additive and disconnected the negative cable wire as per advise here on the forum and it did the trick until 2 weeks ago when the code came back on and the car started to shift real hard upon driving it...last week when i started to drive home from work the car would cut off when i shifted into drive..after getting it home i went out and started to go through the gears in my driveway it shifted fine, so i took it for a testdrive all of the sudden at a stop sign the car wont go into gear, i cut it off about 5 minutes and presto it goes into gear again...well this week we decided to change the TCC switch which took many hours of intense labor..after all that effort i start the car and it shifted just fine and smooth for about 10 minutes, just when i am going to go for a drive the car does not go into gear...i cut it off for a little while and it does go into gear again but then it starts to make a loud WHINING sound and again it WONT go into gear...does anyone have any idea what might be the problem???? needless to say i am fed up with this car any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance
I would say your car has an 1811 code stored which is the pcv, pressure control valve it's about a 6-8 hour job but my warranty covered it,the front frame has to be dropped to get the side cover off the tranny to the left side,the valve is the one with the round plug in with all the plugs on it and the side cover has to come off
impalalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
bobbyboy-g
AF Newbie

Thanks for replying...if the pressure control valve is shot would it still go into GEAR though ?? another question maybe someone can answer...i bought this TCC switch part # mc60261 from partsamerica.com its the one i replaced...but as i was going through their website today i noticed part # dr9825 a TCC switch also...WHICH one is the correct switch i should have changed??? or should both have been changed....thanks
bobbyboy-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
troy1
AF -Advisor

you should of changed the PCS also. Does it kill the engine when you come to a stop? I would pull the pan and look I bet your filter is plugging which would keep it from going into gear after some driving and then go into gear after being shut down for a while. Now if this is the case its time for a overhaul.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
chevymandan
AF Newbie

Faulty Pressure Control Solenoid, GM knows about it, there are TSB about it. Harsh shifts when hot. The best and cheapest thing to do is call GM and complain. Their number is 1-800-222-1020. These transmissions are known to be defective but have yet to be recalled. I called today 6-21-2010. Ask for it to be recalled. If they get enough calls they will. Maybe
chevymandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
SierraK1500
AF Regular

Exclamation Re: 2003 Impala 4t65e transmission problem

I had the same problem with my car. Spent 800 bucks to have the solenoid replaced. Only to my chagrin about 40K miles later the tranny died.

GM knows about this. in the case you have take it to a good transmission shop and have it repaired right. The solenoid is a bandaid for your problem.

My tranny had a clogged pump too and thats from the material that came off the clutches.

If shes whining and the car stops moving you are ready for a 2100.00 bill. Sounds like an old FORD powering steering pump?

I was able to move the Impala after it sat cause we drove it up on the flatbed.

As Charlie Chan used to say "Rots of Ruck"

John

Last edited by SierraK1500; 06-30-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: lousy spelling
SierraK1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
chevymandan
AF Newbie

installed transgo sk4t65e kit, fluid, filter in about an hour, cost about 160, and it works great

GM was useless in this matter, as I figured they would be
Old 10-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
chevymandan
AF Newbie

I was dreading changing the pcs, but it was easier than i thought. I am not a mechanic and I am not suggesting that you do this, this is what I did and it worked fine and saved a bunch of money and was easy to do. Anything you decide to do is your choice and I am not liable for it
1. disconnect battery and drain transmission fluid, put transmission pan back on with a few bolts, you can change the filter when you are done with everything else and put all the bolts back in
2. take off air filter housing and air intake, take electrical plug out of transmission
3. raise boot on steering gear box and take bolt out of steering connecting to steering shaft, it is one bolt and has to come completely out and then slide the shaft up off of it (this is done so you do not damage the steering when you lower the cradle)
4. loosen axle nut and lug nuts so you can get them off when you raise the vehicle.
5. raise vehicle,and support it,take off the following only on drivers side: wheel, brake caliper (hang out of way), lower ball joint off of lower A arm, tie rod end, sway bar
6. now you can take out the 3 strut nuts from up top and tap on the axle nut very lightly, then take the axle nut off to get it out of the front hub assembly,
7. push down on the lower A arm, and pull the strut out (i left the strut, rotor, front hub assembly as one when i took it out), also take out engine splash shield which has 3 plastic rivets in it, then pull out axle, i used a slide hammer
8. I had 3 different areas of support , the body, the transmission, and the front drivers side cradle
9. I placed a piece of plywood on the jack and used it to support the transmission, be careful not to raise it to high and crack your coolant reservoir
10. I placed another jack on the cradle
11. I used jack stands to support the body
12. I took out the tranny mount nuts that bolt it to the cradle.
13. With the tranny supported, as well as the Cradle, I loosened the 2 drivers side cradle bolts and took them completely out. Lower the cradle down. This allows you to get to the bottom bolts of the side cover. Then lower the transmission down to get the rest of the bolts out.
14. Pull off side cover and replace solenoids. Disconnect wire harness, they have a pin that you must pull out with needle nose pliers, pull out solenoid
15. Reverse procedure to assemble
16. got alignment

This job took about 5 hours, because it was my first time doing it, but it is real easy
I bought a solenoid kit off ebay for $108, fluid and filter for about $60, I used about 10 qts

every car is different so use common sense when you are working on it, you have no one to blame but yourself if you screw up, good luck
Old 02-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
geogeogeogeo
AF Newbie

This sounds like my car..2011 Impala..The original problem was the forward band broke. I put a new one in and it ran perfect for about 250 mi. It had a trouble code of PO842 but still ran good.. On a cold night my daughter started out and after a minute it started slipping and then would not pull in any gear at all...I replaced the TCC solenoid,the Pressure control solenoid and thePressure Switch but it didn't help.. It will work for about a minute and then nothing..it also has that slight buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the pump...CAN ANYONE HELP !!!
geogeogeogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
maxwedge
A990 racer

Welcome to AF, your tagged onto a 7 year old thread. Try to start a new one in the future. Trans has to come out and be gone through, you probably knew that though.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS