Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
HotRod53
AF Newbie

98 Bonneville real low oil pressure

I found out that when you hit 10 psi the dash dinger goes off.

This motor had always been lower on oil pressure that the original motor but I never paid any attention to it. Going down the road it was just under 40 psi, idle was just above the red line. I always assumed that the gauge was wrong. Saturday I changed the oil and I added some Restore, Monday I drove the car 160 miles with no problem, Tuesday the pressure dropped to 10 psi at idle when warm. This motor has about 95k on it.

I replaced the pressure sender and the pressure is the same. When I removed the sender I got probably 2 spoonfulls of oil that leaked out and then it stopped. Is it possible that the pressure port is glogged?

The odd part is that even at 5psi at idle the motor runs fine and no overheating. I expected a day that this thing would die and I bought another car, this car is currently a backup, I'm just not ready to let it go. I'd keep driving it until it blows if it werent for the darn dinger driving me nuts. I'm just not sure that the pressure resading is correct.
HotRod53 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville