Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
bhodge
AF Newbie

Exclamation Brake system Nightmare

Wondering if anyone has had this problem with their Expedition. I have had practically everything replaced that relates to the brake system including the brake booster, master cylinder, rotars, ect... My brakes are still going to the floor. I recently had them bled and if for any amount of time more than a few seconds my foot is on the brake it begins to slip. I also have been told by my regular mechanic that I don't need any of the minor things such as pads. I don't know what else to fix. I know the truck is old and it has alot of miles on it, but if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
bhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Brake system Nightmare

I have found the hoses going to the rotors can get a bulge in them. Have the truck on jack stands use a flashlight and have somebody else press the brake.
Watch closely. Also look for leaks check all hoses and steel lines.
I have gotten bad rebuilt master cylinders. The push rod sometimes needs adjusted on the booster before installing the master cylinder. Look for leaks between the vacuum booster and the master cylinder.
I wouldn't have a vehicle leave my shop with this problem. The mechanic and shop should be leaned on it isn't safe to drive to the shop. Ask them to pay for a tow and fix it.
In this case even the parts store will exchange free the master cylinder.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

If the calipers were installed on the wrong side the bleed screw will be at the bottom and it will be impossible to bleed. Just look at the bleed screw it will be evident once you know what you are looking for.
Installing the wrong size bearings will allow a wheel to move and you will get a full pedal then low pedal. With the wheel off the ground you can feel by moving the wheel with your hand.
If you have anti lock brakes try bleeding the lines at the top side of the antilock valve. You might have to go to a shop with a scan tool who can move the valves open and closed to get the air out.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

How did you make out did you find the problem.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Schaff68
AF Newbie

the abs systems on some vehicles with a fair amout of miles gets kinda picky, if you have had budget brake pads and rotors put on, know that the low priced rotors and pads are not as thick as oem or better quality parts, even if the rotors mic that they are on the low side of good, remember to time this by 4 and if you have cheap thin pads on there, then its worse, it means the calipers are staying out farther to work, and will onley travel out so much. the abs senses this and will onley allow so much to go to the calipers
Schaff68 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition