Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: 97 Bonne 3800 Dies at Warmup

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrofal
In fact, if the car is hot and I park it and let it cool a little, go shopping for 20 minutes and come back, it won’t start. It cranks and all electrical seems to work. I only try it 3 times so as not to smoke the starter. So I leave it, say 45 minutes, I try it and it starts right up. I usually drive it back and forth to work and I notice as the weather is warming the engine will stop and start by its self before the crankshaft stops moving (sort of a hiccup). But sometimes totally gone so I have to coast over or right turn and restart it.
Quote:
So you’re the guy that bought it! Ha Ha, just kidding, I’m still having the same problem. This morning it died at the same stoplight as before. I asked a mechanic that changed oil on my Dodge van and he says it might be the fuel pump; expensive to replace. I’d hate to start throwing money into something that “might” clear the problem. I’ve got 3 other cars to keep on the road. I already tore apart the floorboard under the driver’s door to find a shiny ground bus connector. Next project is to put it back together.
I’m just living with the problem for now. Body looks good and shiny, no dents. Not much trade-in value and it would be right to sell it to someone who might find out where I live. I check this site now and then for a fix and if I finally get it fixed, I’ll be sure to post it.
The crank position sensor (CKPS) and the ignition control module (ICM) are two things that are heat sensitive on this engine. Either one can cause the problem you are describing, however, normally it is the CKPS. It is located to the right side and behind the harmonic balancer. The balancer will need to be removed in order to replace it. We have many threads on how to replace the crank sensor, do a search and you will find them.

BTW, your text formatting is very difficult to read. Please use the Icon on the top bar of the message block to “Remove Text Formatting”. Be sure to select and highlight the text you wish to reformat. We appreciate your cooperation! The example below is how your post should look:
Quote:
So you’re the guy that bought it! Ha Ha, just kidding, I’m still having the same problem. This morning it died at the same stoplight as before. I asked a mechanic that changed oil on my Dodge van and he says it might be the fuel pump; expensive to replace. I’d hate to start throwing money into something that “might” clear the problem. I’ve got 3 other cars to keep on the road. I already tore apart the floorboard under the driver’s door to find a shiny ground bus connector. Next project is to put it back together.
I’m just living with the problem for now. Body looks good and shiny, no dents. Not much trade-in value and it would be right to sell it to someone who might find out where I live. I check this site now and then for a fix and if I finally get it fixed, I’ll be sure to post it.

Last edited by HotZ28; 07-30-2008 at 02:53 PM.
HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:40 AM   #17
pontiacfreak_81
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to pontiacfreak_81 Send a message via MSN to pontiacfreak_81 Send a message via Yahoo to pontiacfreak_81

i had this problem with mine too, with the exception that mine would be hesitate during accelerating once it was warm too...i took the shotgun approach and after replacing numerous parts it ended up being my mass airflow sensor. and i never had a check engine light come on either...just unplugging the sensor made mine run better but i still replaced the sensor (got one for 10 bucks at a pull it urself junkyard) and its ran great since then. Dont know if this will help u at all but thought it was worth a shot.
pontiacfreak_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #18
seancooper
AF Newbie

hey man, sorry for the late reply
anyways, it's been out of the garage for 2 weeks now, after being there for a month and $894 bill later.
this is what they did...and surprisingly it works now!
-fuel filter
-new gas tank (mine i guess had a leak?)
-new filler pipe
-hose clamps
-sensors
-crankshaft position sensor
-spark plugs
-oil change

they found water in with my gas...LOTS OF WATER, so they flushed the lines out and now it works pretty good...but thats hard to say since i no longer drive it and it just sits in my yard with a for sale sign in the window. it does occassionally goes for a spin, but thats all. and thats all i think ill do with it right now bcs it felt like it was chugging along...so yeah
ha
seancooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #19
egrofal
AF Newbie

Had certified mechanic put in a new crank position sensor. Also, a new EGR valve becuse it was "coding". Total:$401.00. Two trips so far no problem. Will post again if stallind/no start problem returns. Don't see formatting difference.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville