Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
FLEXTHEDOG
AF Newbie

Question 2000 Expedition sometimes won't start

Having a real headache with my Expedition. After doing short journey's will park up the car, come back and it won't start. The dashboard lights are on everything seems ok but the engine won't even turnover. Leave it for about 45mins+, it stars immediately. The mornings are no problem at all it starts first turn.

It is now going into the Ford Dealers for the 3rd time, 1st they cut me new keys was fine for 5days problem returned, 2nd they replaced a new ground cable was great for 22days then same old problem returned. They ran a diagnostic test and everything was working fine. They really seem lost for words and don't seem to have any idea what is happening.

Can anyone help, seriously thinking about trading it in.

Thanks
FLEXTHEDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:45 AM   #2
baytique
AF Newbie

Your expedition sounds like ours. We have had the battery, alternator, and starter checked. We replaced the starter and are back to the same problem. Have you found a solution. We would appreciate any help you can provide. Our e-mail address is Baytique2@AOL.com. Thanks for your input. We are going crazy!!!!! Were you able to trade it in?
baytique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:41 AM   #3
ker1998
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Expedition sometimes won't start

Mine just started doing the same thing only it now goes for hours or days without starting. I've had it in the shop several times and they can't find anything wrong with it because it starts for them. If you find a solution please post it.
ker1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
finistere21
AF Newbie

Our '99 4.6L is doing the same thing, i'm determined to find the cause, so far we've ruled out the battery, starter, alternator, pats, wires from battery to ignition, wires from ignition to starter. we did notice that if we put the key in the on position and short two of the wires on the starter, it starts fine, but the radio doesn't come on durring this seemingly random problem. the more we get into it the more it looks like the ignition where the key goes. i'll keep you posted.
finistere21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
legends32
AF Newbie

My 2000 Expedition had the same problem. The dealer replaced the starter relay for $40, and the problem seems to be solved. The diagnostics however cost $200. Take a gamble and have the relay replaced without the diagnostics.
legends32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Chestermom
AF Newbie

I'm having the same problem -- no one can diagnose problem -- have heard people have gotten help by changing starter relay or engine immobilizer --

This is going on for 2 months -- I'm afraid to drive it anywhere I can't afford to get stuck.

Everything works -- won't turn over -- let it sit -- turns over like a charm

Ugh
Chestermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
big foot
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends32
My 2000 Expedition had the same problem. The dealer replaced the starter relay for $40, and the problem seems to be solved. The diagnostics however cost $200. Take a gamble and have the relay replaced without the diagnostics.

I DID HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY ESPY DEALER REPLACED THE SOLENOID BUT NOW IT RUNS LIKE CRAP IT MISSFIRES I GET A CODE SPARK PLUG NUMBER 4 MY QUESTION IS IF YOU DISCONNECT THE BATERY WOULD IT MAKE IT RUN LIKE THIS? DO THE DEALER HAD TO REPROGRAM MY TRUCK? IT USED TO RUN FINE TILL THIS HAPPEN.....REALLY CONFUZED...
big foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
bearcat329
AF Regular

Talking Re: 2000 Expedition sometimes won't start

the # 4 coil is infamous for failing! i'm guessing that it's a seperate issue from what you had fixed by the dealer. so far i've lost 5 coils in 3 years, but not # 4 yet! ( crossing fingers)
have that coil replaced and go about your merry way! (hopefully)
good luck!
Rick, Ore
bearcat329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
dugan50
Authorized Vendor

Has anyone though to check the anti-theft system on your vehicles. All of your posts sound suspiciously like a lock out situation. Just a guess
htpp://www.stolenandrecovered.com
dugan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
big foot
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat329
the # 4 coil is infamous for failing! i'm guessing that it's a seperate issue from what you had fixed by the dealer. so far i've lost 5 coils in 3 years, but not # 4 yet! ( crossing fingers)
have that coil replaced and go about your merry way! (hopefully)
good luck!
Rick, Ore
the dealer check the truck and they said it was a seperate issue trying to start the truck too many time could have done it but anyway $250 dollars latter I am back on the road ....
big foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
Brucelammes
AF Newbie

I am having the same issue with my 1997. The starter relay is something I have not tried but I will now. I have noticed that sometimes when it won't start the power locks fire and lock the doors. Weird huh?

Has anyone filled a complaint with NHTSA? I did. If they get enough complaints maybe Ford will issue a recall and get this problem fixed.
Brucelammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
carlos80
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelammes
I am having the same issue with my 1997. The starter relay is something I have not tried but I will now. I have noticed that sometimes when it won't start the power locks fire and lock the doors. Weird huh?

Has anyone filled a complaint with NHTSA? I did. If they get enough complaints maybe Ford will issue a recall and get this problem fixed.
Fat chance on the recall if its not a safety issue they won't recall it.
carlos80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
bbmoody
AF Newbie

Mine does this once in a while, all I do to get it to start is pull up on the the shift lever while turning the key and it starts right up or put your foot on the brake and put in nuetral to start.
bbmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #14
wahdkanje
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends32
Yes, some expeditions have this problem! If nothing happens when cranking, most likely it's the relay located in the engine compartment fuse box!
wahdkanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
JP.1971
AF Newbie

2000 ford expedition EDDIE Bauer addition
Sometimes my expedition wont start like after a rain or high humidity
no water on floorboards either.
When this problem started I was sitting in my expedition and the dash light's started to flicker and the fan motor came on with no key in the ignition.
Tried to start it but wouldn't start. Had it towed to the mechanic shop said it was the pcm paid 600.00 plus tow bill. The flowing day picked it up ran great got to work wouldn't start next morning. Had it towed back to the mechanic same issue he now said it's now the crank shaft sensor. Paid 300.00 plus tow bill. Picked up the following day ran great took it back to work next morning no start. Have changed the fuel pump filter and sock in tank still some mornings after a rain or heavy moisture no start till it dries out usually after the sun comes out will start just fine. Now the mechanic is saying it might be the gem module please if you have experience these same problems tell me what you did to fix it. I am beginning to think my mechanic is just making money changing part's guessing what the problem is.
JP.1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition