Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
pntcbonnesse
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to pntcbonnesse
Angry ICM, Crank sensor or what???

(Car stats: 1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSE Series 1 (TPI) 190k ) Ok... My car is being a bitch... since I got it sometimes when I start the car the SES light will go on but if I shut off the car and restart it, it automaticly goes off, now... sometimes not often but not rare when I start the car it will crank but not turn over for a while. Now the third issue is that since I got the car in December of 03, today being the third time that the car died on me while I Was driving it. Normally when I drive it and it does that it will start back up with no problem... today it just died in the middle of the road ( a busy one might I add) and didnt start for about 5 mins... again... starter engaged but no turnover. I took apart the ICM and coil packs and took it in to autozone and did the tests, all passed but ive heard the ICM sometimes will check good but will be bad... :-( and its about $160.00. The Check Engine light (SES) is not on consistently, there is no rough idle (well I dont think it is bad for 190k but it could be better) SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! ANY HELP WILL BE GREATELY APPRECIATED!!!
pntcbonnesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
usmcsgtj
AF Newbie

Re: ICM, Crank sensor or what???

ICM has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to crank the engine. if the starter engages but does not turn over the engine either replace the starter/solenoid(easy, fairly cheap) or replace something else then replace the starter/solenoid.
usmcsgtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
pntcbonnesse
AF Regular

ok no offence or anything but U need to recheck where u got your informatio from... because the ICM has everything to do with starting the car... trust me ive replaced them before... and I kno what a broken starter or soleniod sounds like/acts like and thats not it.. thanks for your help but watch the info you give because that is 100% wrong the ICM is what sends the spark... which has everything to do with turning the motor over...
Old 09-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #4
STINKINLINCOLN
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to STINKINLINCOLN Send a message via MSN to STINKINLINCOLN Send a message via Yahoo to STINKINLINCOLN

you are right there pntcbonnnesse some people like to try to help but dont know what they are talking about .
now for you problem I think that you are on the right track maybe the crank sensor the very first thing that came to mined when I read you problem was the coil pack I would say Im about 65% sure thats what the problem would be now where Im from(canada) we dont have a autozone here so I dont know where are how they would test it (coil pack) maybe the coil is weak that would explane why the car would start up I would go over to the junk yard and get a used coil pack before I would change the crank sensor
I have done both there not hard to change
I had a bonny that had the EXACT same problem dies on the road and everthing they must be programed to die on the most bussy roads mine died going uo a big hill I hope this helps you out Please get back to me and let me know
thanks

93" LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
69" BUICK RIVIERA
1988 MAZDA B2200NEEDS HELP

http://www.geocities.com/jjbannon81/69RIVIERA.html
1999 OLD ALERO
STINKINLINCOLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #5
pntcbonnesse
AF Regular

When I had the Coil Packs tested the resistance in them was still good, I had them checked a few times... While I was reading the other posts w/ people that had the same problems it seemed that the crank sensor fixed the problem... thats good for me because thats only 30bucks. I should replace the sensor in the next few days, and itll probably take another week or 2, to find out if it fixed the problem. If it doesnt ill replace the coil packs and see how that goes and ill definitly let you know. Thanks man! -Mark
Old 09-22-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
STINKINLINCOLN
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to STINKINLINCOLN Send a message via MSN to STINKINLINCOLN Send a message via Yahoo to STINKINLINCOLN

Ok sounds like you know what you are doing
the crank sensor is a easy fix have fun
when my car died the crank sensor just gave out the car just turn and turn and turned tell the batter went dead (lol) but they do wear out just like any other thing have fun you will need to get a puller for the h-blancer but other then that a easy fix

93" LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
69" BUICK RIVIERA

1999 OLD ALERO
Old 09-22-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
pntcbonnesse
AF Regular

allright thanks a lot man I appreciate it
Old 09-22-2004, 09:02 PM   #8
STINKINLINCOLN
AF Enthusiast

no problem

93" LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
69" BUICK RIVIERA

1999 OLD ALERO
Old 09-25-2004, 09:38 AM   #9
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

you guys need to ease up on usmcsgtj. You said the starter engages but the engine doesn't "turn over". That to me means the engine doesn't roll over. IF you'd have said the engine turns over, it just doesn't fire, then you'd have been right to chastise him. The module is all about making the car fire, but has nothing to do with it "turning over", which is what he was referring to. Get your terminology straight before you tell someone they don't know what they are talking about, or next time they won't help you when they have your answer. by the way, the crank sensor is a common problem with 3800's, and would be my guess as to your problem.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:36 PM   #10
pntcbonnesse
AF Regular

My terminology is correct... when I say the engine doesnt turn over... that means it doesnt start, I said the starter engages which means the starter works, but its not turning over the engine... which means not starting... everyone else understands it.. and he didnt even have the right answer... and thank you for the info... I replaced the sensor yesterday but I dunno if it has fixed the problem yet... still waiting... thanks for evey1's info and will let you know if it helps
Old 09-26-2004, 05:29 PM   #11
shurnlea
AF Newbie

i fought with my car not starting and dying in the middle of the road for three years. I came on here and found the problem after an untold number of mechanics looked at it. It was the crank sensor. Now I have absolutely no problems.
shurnlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:39 PM   #12
pntcbonnesse
AF Regular

hey man thanks a lot... Its been two days and I havent had any problems... keeping my fingers crossed!!! thanks!
Old 09-26-2004, 07:55 PM   #13
STINKINLINCOLN
AF Enthusiast

glad to hear so is it the crank sensor

93" LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
69" BUICK RIVIERA

1999 OLD ALERO
Old 09-26-2004, 10:48 PM   #14
pntcbonnesse
AF Regular

dont know yet... its only been two days. I probably will know for sure in about 2weeks-a month but I will make sre that I will let everyone know what is goin on
Old 09-27-2004, 08:13 AM   #15
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

the starter engaging can mean that it hits the flywheel but nothing else happens. It can also mean that the starter free spins, but doesn't "crank the engine over" . Your terminology isn't correct. "Doesn't crank" means motor doesn't spin.
"Doesn't fire" or "doesn't start" means the engine cranks, just doesn't "catch". Your wording was misleading, nuff said.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville