Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Native3000gt
AF Newbie

06 Expedition stalling

i have a 2006 expedition limited. had it for about a year now. I was on my way home and i was at a stop and it started idialing rough and stalled. i have done some repair. I have changed the air, fuel, filter. i have also change out the Thottle Position Sensor. so now it runs a little bit smoother and still stalling out at stops. It runs for about a good 8 miles then it starts acting up. i have read in other places it might be the cat or the O2 the engine light has come on too so i'm at wits end here.
Native3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: 06 Expedition stalling

On my 05 the fuel pump driver module disintegrated. Aluminum body mounted next to a steel frame, the dissimilar metals made the aluminum turn to dust. The dust shorted out the circuit board along with the water and other elements that got inside it, which also ruined my fuel pump that I also had to replace. The old ones were made by a company that went out of business. After a national shortage last year, Dorman started making one (590-001) that they not only powder coat the aluminum, but also include spacers to make sure the metals don't touch. It is located (05 don't know if 06 is same) above the frame in the drivers side rear wheel well about a foot back from the center of the axle mounted to a plate that is mounted to the frame. The FORDFULLSIZE.COM forum has pictures for an F-150, where it is mounted on a cross-member instead of the frame. At least it gives you an idea of what to look for. I'm keeping all the parts and receipts incase someday there is a recall so I can get my money back.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Deektribe
AF Newbie

I forgot the exact name of the part...something like throttle idle bypass valve? , but its a valve attached to the throttle body that opens when you come to a stop so air can bypass the butterfly and keep the engine running. It's held on only with two bolts and is super easy to service. Take it off, clean it well, make sure the valve action is smooth and complete, give it a little light oil lube. They get gunked up and cause stalling and inconsistant idle. You may still need to replace it if its a weak solinoid, but if cleaning it up make it work any better or changes the behavior, then at least you have isolated the problem. Cost $0, love that!
Deektribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Degree
AF Newbie

Excellent! This happened to my 2001 Lincoln LS V6 many months ago. More then likely, a vacuum tube is punctured. Are you getting excessive emissions? You'll probably receive over 5x the normal amount.

I cannot remember the name of the tube (PCP I think) is probably punctured, and therefore needing replacement. If you don't have the funds right now, be cautious. Restrain from hard acceleration and driving at very low RPM ranges. The car will die while moving if you are driving slow (10-20mph) while moving at around 1500-2000RPM.

The replacement is very cheap, but what you can do is hunt for a punctured tube, and just disconnect it until you have time to replace it. I had no problems after that (in fact, I took it for emissions testing and it passed!).
Degree is offline   Reply With Quote