Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
crazybaby1977
AF Newbie

1995 Bonneville dashboard lights problem

I have a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville and I am experiencing a problem with the dashboard not illuminating when I turn on the headlights. I used to be able to bang on the dashboard a bit and they would come on, but that has since stopped working... lol! Because of that fact, I don't think it's a fuse, because how would banging on the dashboard affect the fuses in any way?

This wouldn't be so much of a problem except that my taillights don't work either when this happens and I was recently stopped because of this. The brake lights and backup lights work fine. It's just somehow connected to the taillights (which seems VERY wierd to me). I'm not sure if anyone can help, but I would appreciate any suggestions.
crazybaby1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #2
ltbuick
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 Bonneville dashboard lights problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybaby1977
I have a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville and I am experiencing a problem with the dashboard not illuminating when I turn on the headlights. I used to be able to bang on the dashboard a bit and they would come on, but that has since stopped working... lol! Because of that fact, I don't think it's a fuse, because how would banging on the dashboard affect the fuses in any way?

This wouldn't be so much of a problem except that my taillights don't work either when this happens and I was recently stopped because of this. The brake lights and backup lights work fine. It's just somehow connected to the taillights (which seems VERY wierd to me). I'm not sure if anyone can help, but I would appreciate any suggestions.
I had similar problem. It was a defective headlight switch. Factory switches had problems burning out after awhile. About 20 - 30 dollars. Simple to change, be careful with plastic trim. About 30 minutes work.
ltbuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
crazybaby1977
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1995 Bonneville dashboard lights problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltbuick
I had similar problem. It was a defective headlight switch. Factory switches had problems burning out after awhile. About 20 - 30 dollars. Simple to change, be careful with plastic trim. About 30 minutes work.
Thank you very much for responding! Could you give me some information about where that switch is located on the car? I wonder is it something I will have to take it to a mechanic for or just something I could get my "shadetree mechanic" uncle to do for me.

Thanks again,
Christina
Old 01-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
JJ052653
AF Newbie

I had the same problem that you are experiencing and was able to resolve the problem by installing a new headlight switch. The Headlight switch is located to the left of the steering wheel on the dash. In order to replace the switch, I perform the following procedure:

Don’t try this unless you have all the parts ahead of time.

Parts needed:

Headlight Switch about $ 40.00

Small plastic connector that snaps on the Switch (This needs to be order separately from the dealer). The person at the parts counter will have to do a little investigating to find this part. (I saved the invoice with the part number and will forward that information to you tomorrow.

Delphi electrical connectors (Dealers items) 10-15 connectors (Very important).

Black electrically tape

1) Remove the Headlight switch knob. Unscrew the collar that goes around the knob, to remove the knob. You need very small flat head screw driver, to release the spring tension on the knob then pull the knob off the switch.

2) Need to remove the 1 piece dash board cover that is attached 6-8 clips, starting at the lower left hand bottom corner of the console, carefully prior the corner until the corner pops up. Then do the same with the other side. Work you way all around the dash board edges popping each clip as you go along, until the dashboard come off.

3) You’ll need to remove the top piece of the dash. You need a special screw driver
I believe it is called a Torque hex screw driver, and unscrew all 4 screws and remove that portion of the dash.

4) You will know see the switch. Using a Phillips screw drive, remove all the screws.
I believe there are 3. Be very carefully not to drop any of these screws in the dash.

5) The next part takes a little patience and finesse. Carefully remove the switch by pulling
out the switch of the dash board

6) Remove the plastic connector (this is probably melted together) from the switch, by removing the blue shims to both side of the connector and then prying off the small plastic connector.

7) You are going to have to surgical remove the wires from bad connector to the new connector one at a time. Please note the position each wire goes in. they are mark with letter on the side, but are probably melted off. Be patience. Some of the Delphi connectors made need to be replaced.

8) Once all the connectors are have been transferred from one connector to another, carefully snap the new connector on to the new switch

9) Before inserting the shims, cut off a piece of black electrical tape an wrap the tape two revolutions around each shim. This needs to be done, in order to keep the pin connectors snug against the prong on the switch. Very important.

10) Test make sure the switch works. (Dashlights, headlights, taillights Etc)

11) Reinstall the switch starting with step 5 and working backwards.
JJ052653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
ltbuick
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 1995 Bonneville dashboard lights problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybaby1977
Thank you very much for responding! Could you give me some information about where that switch is located on the car? I wonder is it something I will have to take it to a mechanic for or just something I could get my "shadetree mechanic" uncle to do for me.

Thanks again,
Christina
This is something you can do with a phillips screwdriver and a pair of needlenose pliers. Alll you have to do is remove the knob you pull for headlights and the backing ring, then there are a couple of screws that hold the trim to the dash. Also I think there are 2 7mm bolts that hold the switch to the bracket. Just be careful when pulling on plastic trim. Your "shadetree mechanic" uncle can do it in about 20-30 minutes.
ltbuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
crazybaby1977
AF Newbie

Wow! What detailed instructions! THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! If you are able to find that part information that would be SUPER... although I feel guilty about asking you to do anything else after all the effort it took to provide such a detailed response!

Anyway, MANY thanks!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
crazybaby1977
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1995 Bonneville dashboard lights problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltbuick
This is something you can do with a phillips screwdriver and a pair of needlenose pliers. Alll you have to do is remove the knob you pull for headlights and the backing ring, then there are a couple of screws that hold the trim to the dash. Also I think there are 2 7mm bolts that hold the switch to the bracket. Just be careful when pulling on plastic trim. Your "shadetree mechanic" uncle can do it in about 20-30 minutes.
THANKS to you too ltbuick for RE-responding! The internet is the greatest! Thanks again for taking the time!

Christina
Old 01-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
JJ052653
AF Newbie

This is another car web site forum for Bonneville. I found this very useful. http://www.bonnevilleclub.com. if you go to the Techinfo Table you will find better instructions on how to replace the switch. the link for the repairs is as follows
http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/techinfo/?article=39

Regarding to the part #'s you'll need to order, I will post them sometime today.
JJ052653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
stephhill
AF Newbie

i am having a similar problem with the dash board lights. Which fuse is for the dash board lights so they come on at night? I look at the fuse panel under the steering wheel but none of them say dashboard light? My instrument lights are working fine. Please help.
stephhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
amrcnprd
AF Newbie

I am having the same problem but what i need to know is what wires need to go to what slot in the connector?
amrcnprd is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville