Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #16
rtm1165
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 bonnieville skips when running

i will ask him on monday but i as sure he did,,,,i tried to get the car friday and it would not even crank.....i am planing to take to the gm dealership,,i talked to the service manager on the phone and gave him the story,,i told him that the guru (mr. sweatland) could not find the problem he stated "damn,, that dont sound too good" i then asked him if i was wasting my time bringing the car to the dealership,,he said nooooo, but did not sound too confident,,, i hope he is just not going to get my car there,, cant find the problem and then charge me a bunch if money for nothing,,,on another note the guru has a gut feeling that the car may need rewiring that the problem may be in the wiring harness,,,,he also stated that to fix it may be more than the car is worth,,,,,has anyone out there ever had this problem,?????, will i have to ditch this car cause of an electrical problem,,, if i do i mudt be having some kind of buzzard luck!!! i dont want to ditch it cause it runs so good when it is running. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
rtm1165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
rtm1165
AF Newbie

Well I Hope The Saga Is Over,,,i Just Picked Up The Car From The Dealership They Replaced The Computer With An Gm Ac Delco Model,,it Appear To Be Working Fine Right Now,,, It Turns Out The Remanfactured One From Auto Zone Wont Work In That Car They Did Give Me My Money Back,,,i Guess The One Lesson Learned Is To Take These Ole Bonnies Back To The Dealer For These Strange Qurks... By The Way This Was A 635.00 Undertaking.

Thanks For All Of You All Input
rtm1165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #18
sixsmiles
AF Newbie

Just wanted to make it clear that on my 95 the H frame to engine block had high resistance put a new wire from the oil pan bolt to an H frame bolt on the right front side. This solved the problem... before adding wire resistance was 20 MOhms.
sixsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #19
GTS767
AF Newbie

I have a 95 Bon with the exact same problem. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with the idle. What fixed it. Can you PLS post.
Thanks
GTS767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #20
GTS767
AF Newbie

Sorry. No need to reply. Just noticed the posting final with fix on next page.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #21
Bassasasin
AF Enthusiast

I dont like his statement . You can always find out whats wrong with a car,,, at a price.
I know as a professional the cost of time of troubleshooting eventually outweighs the value of the car.

Since it ran for 550 miles something you did fixed it for a while, you were close.

I have heard of aftermarket Crankshft sensors not holding up and going bad.

The book says if the engine wont run due to a camshaft sensor, disconnect it and it will run...

You may have another bad Crankshaft sensor, ignition module or connection to the IM or PCM which at this time seems more likely.

Theres a mid engine connection back from the IM another at the firewall, This forum has logged bad connections at the IM.

Ive been told a good shop Oscope system will show bad sensor signals.

QUESTIONS:
Has the IM been swapped? It hears the sensors and reports them to the PCM.
Are you buying your gas at the same gas station and proper octane.
Has the flow of the fuel pump been checked, not just the pressure.

Just thoughts...
GOOD Luck .. will suscribe and watch.
94' LeSabre
96' LeSabre
Bassasasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #22
GTS767
AF Newbie

Thanks for the follow-up. You bring a good point. Ever since I changed gas, the car started the skipping. I normally use super unleaded, but just changed to regular unleaded and somehow I have a feeling that the gas is not clean. Though I changed the fuel filter after the skipping events happened.. I will wait till the tank empties and will measure fuel pressure to rule out any fuel pump problems and start again for further troubleshooting.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #23
GTS767
AF Newbie

I have checked the fuel pressure and it reads 45 PSI. Then checked the spark plug wires though they looked new, found one wire that had a fault and not firing through the piston. Replaced all spark plug wires and engine running perfect.

Thanks for all the insight on this
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #24
asosa1
AF Newbie

i have replaced the magnet on the timing gear. it was on a 3.8 1989 88 royale olds. similiar deal i would think. it had hard starting probs, engine would die. understand that you have a cam and crank position sesor. at times when the cpu does not pick up a signal from one it will pick it up from another. (the problem got worse) well then i replced the eight dollar piece. what it is is a round plastic retainer that has 4 roll pins like, that are the magnets. when your to the timing chain might as well replace it, it snaps into the cam gear. that fixed all the probs. it had about 140,000 miles.
asosa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #25
asosa1
AF Newbie

oh yeah what happens to the magnet is the retainer that holds the retainer get hard and brittle. then the 4 pins fall out. one by one till it can detect the signal anylonger.
asosa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #26
tinin
AF Newbie

I had the same problem. I had the car at the dealer for 5 days, the probem was still there,after I got it back. We tried all the usual stuff, plugs wires fuel filter fuel pump injector rebuild, did find some bare wires on the wire harness over the water pump. When it was acting up I suspected a particular fuel injector evn though they were taken out and rebuilt, I move one injector to another cylinder to see if the problem moved to that cylinder. The car ran fine after that (I did disconnect the wiring harness that goes accros the engine overtop of the fuel rail. Ther car is running good and I am leaving it alone, I don't want to probe to see why. It may have been an intermiten contact to the injector or sensors on the wiring harness across the plenum. Let me know if this helps or you need more info.
tinin is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville