Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
-Jayson-
AF Enthusiast

Mustang guy knows little needs info

my GF just bought a 2003 V6 Mustang Premium, she wants to mod it and make it faster, but im not sure where to start with this car. I know there are handheld tuners out there, but which one is the best and what kind of gains can i expect on a stock car with just that and a filter? Also i think the car might be modded already since she got it used from a dealership. The Exhaust looks stock, but sounds mean. And the 1-2 shift on is ungodly strong, strong enough that the first few pulls we did in the car it snapped my neck back.

So what kind of mods do you recomend? Shes interested in doing the M112 swap from a cobra onto it, but what does that run price wise and what kind of numbers are we looking at? There is a company right now that is producing an intake for it.

Also what do these run in the quartermile? hers is an automatic.

SouthEast Ecotec Enthusiast
-Jayson- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

Re: Mustang guy knows little needs info

Well, hate to tell her man but a V8 blower just aint gonna fit a V6...
Old 08-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
-Jayson-
AF Enthusiast

well i know its not just going to swap onto it. I have a list of all the parts i will be needing

Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
simplexveritas
AF Newbie

courage man!
simplexveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jayson-
well i know its not just going to swap onto it. I have a list of all the parts i will be needing
Hope that list includes a V8 . Im telling you a positive displacement V8 blower will just not phisically fit on a V6. Even if you think you'll just block off two cylinders , the heads could be on a different degree, or the deck height could be different, ect ect.

You can try it... but its not gonna work.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
neatofrito1618
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neatofrito1618 Send a message via Yahoo to neatofrito1618

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351wStang
Hope that list includes a V8 . Im telling you a positive displacement V8 blower will just not phisically fit on a V6. Even if you think you'll just block off two cylinders , the heads could be on a different degree, or the deck height could be different, ect ect.

You can try it... but its not gonna work.
Is that a fact?

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165648
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154855
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193082
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/show...88#post2975188

With bolt-on's and an M-112 you can see 300rwhp+ @ 9-10 PSI, and stock auto's run low 16's give or take a couple tenths.
neatofrito1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

Ok so they "funnel" a V8 blower onto a V6 by creating a box style intake. Thats all fine and well but the only figures I saw where saying that for $3k the guy made a measly 260hp.

I can take a fox 5.0 and install an S-trim for $3k and make 400hp. Or I can take a fox 5.0 and build a turbo kit for it with $3k and make 600rwhp.

Looks like way to much trouble to me.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
neatofrito1618
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neatofrito1618 Send a message via Yahoo to neatofrito1618

Quote:
Thats all fine and well but the only figures I saw where saying that for $3k the guy made a measly 260hp.
That was at 5-6 PSI with only 2.25" catback and pulleys.

Quote:
I can take a fox 5.0 and install an S-trim for $3k and make 400hp.
Not at 5-6 PSI with a stock motor, and not everyone wants a 15-20 year old car as their DD.

Last edited by neatofrito1618; 08-09-2007 at 02:13 PM.
neatofrito1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
-Jayson-
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok so they "funnel" a V8 blower onto a V6 by creating a box style intake. Thats all fine and well but the only figures I saw where saying that for $3k the guy made a measly 260hp.

I can take a fox 5.0 and install an S-trim for $3k and make 400hp. Or I can take a fox 5.0 and build a turbo kit for it with $3k and make 600rwhp.

Looks like way to much trouble to me.
all blowers are universal, they dont make blowers for a certain number of cylinders. They make blowers for engine size and displacement. Then you make the intake to connect the blower to the engine. Theres no such thing as a v8 blower.

While yes 3,000 dollars for 260-300WHP is alot of money for alot less performance than what you can do. But my gf doesnt own a 5.0 Fox body, shes not building a 400 or 600WHP drag monster. She has a daily driver that she wants to be able to have a bit of fun in.

One thing that always bugs me about mustang owners, all they seem to care about are HP numbers they can make. You sound like my buddy that im helping build an 93 notch with a 351 windsor. All he talks about is how much faster this mustang is going to be than my cobalt and how much cheaper it is for him.

Not everyone builds a car to be a drag monster, some people just like to add alittle kick to their daily drive

Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
silverstangs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to silverstangs

Quote:
. Or I can take a fox 5.0 and build a turbo kit for it with $3k and make 600rwhp..
and watch the stock block split in two straight down the center...

been there done that.

the 3.8/4.2L block is actually a stronger block, the heads suck thou..
Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
silverstangs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to silverstangs

Quote:
my GF just bought a 2003 V6 Mustang Premium, she wants to mod it and make it faster, but im not sure where to start with this car. I know there are handheld tuners out there, but which one is the best and what kind of gains can i expect on a stock car with just that and a filter? Also i think the car might be modded already since she got it used from a dealership. The Exhaust looks stock, but sounds mean. And the 1-2 shift on is ungodly strong, strong enough that the first few pulls we did in the car it snapped my neck back.

So what kind of mods do you recomend? Shes interested in doing the M112 swap from a cobra onto it, but what does that run price wise and what kind of numbers are we looking at? There is a company right now that is producing an intake for it.

Also what do these run in the quartermile? hers is an automatic.

I'll just give you a run down on what I did with my 01 V6....

To let you know, I would build the bottom end first, you can use the F-150 Crank and use eagle Rods and Ross pistions, which is the combination I did. I also used 1.73 roller rockers and a mild cam. I port matched the upper and lower intake, which is something you can do on your own easily. The heads I portmatched and did some smoothing out too. You can push 220rwhp to the wheels and about 260 rwtq, which is where I ended up at. I also had a few other things, aluminum drive shaft( I had to swap the front yolk), aluminum flywheel, lightened pressure plate, Electric water pump. Two piece rotors help. The automatic's can use a shift kit, and a LARGE tranny cooler, and a better stall converter.

As you can see, I did a lot of little things to beef up and lighten the driveline from the engine to the rear end.

There are other things you can do that are small, but add up. Mainly, get an aftermarket fiberglass hood, because it's weight off the front end. Maximum Motorsports K-member and A-arms, again more weight gone. Coil overs all the way around, again less weight. Getting after market seats, will shed about 60~70 lbs. Rear seat delete kit. Tubular rear control arms from Maxium Motorsports without spring purches. Evolution M-sport Upper torque Arm(note this was the only item I did not have but install in other V6 mustangs), and dump the two upper control arms. Get the MM panhard bar. BTW, the STOCK exhaust weights alot, especially compared to the magnapack cat back. BTW you can use a GT cat back and have a shop convert the Y-pipe to a H-pipe, which is what I did.

By the time I was done with the V6, lost 427#lbs from the weight of the car according to the scales.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangs
and watch the stock block split in two straight down the center...

been there done that.

the 3.8/4.2L block is actually a stronger block, the heads suck thou..
While that is true they last for a while with a good tune. I've seen plenty of stock block turbo/blower 5.0 cars running mid-high 9's in the 1/4. One guy I know ran a stock long block 5.0 deep into the 6's in the 1/8 with twins. He just kept a jy short block on hand.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Not everyone builds a car to be a drag monster, some people just like to add alittle kick to their daily drive
My car was a street car, never went to the track... Well, I wanted to but my pistons let go first. I was pushing close to 750fwhp on probe forged slugs. It will be JE next time around.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #14
giddyup50
AF Enthusiast

If she just wants to have a little fun with a daily driver. Just do the basic bolt-ons. K&N, MasAir, Throttle body, pulleys, and exhaust. If it's not in the snow alot I'd even throw some gears in the rear. Then if she decides she wants more just sell it and get a GT.
giddyup50 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk