Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
timwdv
AF Newbie

71 Plymouth Fury III

I just got this car and it hasnt been running since 89, where should i start? What would you all do to it?

timwdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 71 Plymouth Fury III

I think you need to ask some tough questions about what you want to do with this.
Do you want to dump money into it and drive it?

This car is not worth much; and likely the repairs it needs are much more than its worth when fixed.

Financially, the prudent thing to do is to sell it on ebay. It looks like its got some good chrome, stainless, glass and body panels, that I can see, so it would be a good parts car or project car for someone.

If you were to consider fixing it, see if the engine is stuck. Pull the plugs and pour a couple of ounces of ATF down each cylinder. Let is sit for a couple of days and try to rotate the engine using a socket wrench on the crankshaft. If it still will not budge, forget it, and sell for parts.

The same goes for rust. These were unit-body cars and are susceptible to rust damage to the structure. Anything more than surface rust means the car is for parts only.

At the very minimum, this car will need all-new fluids, filters, hoses, belts, tune up, a transmission service, carburetor rebuild, all-new brakes front and back, a new fuel tank, or remove the old one and clean it out.

Consider a thorough inspection, make a list of everything it needs and attach a cost to do the work. This will give you an approximate budget for the project; then decide if you feel its worth it.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion