Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
SwaveDave
AF Enthusiast

How noisy is an M22 Transmission for a street vette ?

I am contemplating replacing my M21 gearbox with an M22. HOw much noisier is it . Thanks. Dave
1. 1970 Corvette, T Tops, 468/540 h.p/600 tq. Roller Motor , EDL Oval Port Alum Heads, EDL AirGap Intake, M21 4 speed, 370 rear, twin electric radiator fans, electric fuel pump, EDL 800 carb, MSD ignition, Mallory 9000 Electronic Distributor, L88 hood with 100% fresh air. (Dont let the car fool you...my treasure is in heaven).

2. 2006 LS2 Corvette . Headers. 3" racing exhaust. Soon to be SuperCharged to 630 gross h.p. (dont let this car fool you either...my real treasure is in heaven) .
SwaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to Murco
Why on earth would you spend good money to replace one antique with another worthless, out-dated antique? There would be no performance gain, little more torque capacity, and (if it's a daily driver) still crappy mileage. Get a T-56 and enjoy better launches and better mileage. To answer your question, no, an M22 is no noisier than an M21. Both use helical-cut gears and are almost identical except for the M22's beefier mainshaft and bearings. M22's are pricey for what they are. Leave them for the gold-chain NCRS crowd....
Old 08-06-2003, 01:47 PM   #3
deja vu 69
AF Newbie

Talking

why would you give this guy advice on a muncie m22 when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about???? there is a world of difference between a m21 and a m22 and fyi there are aftermarket muncie m20 m21 and m22 that are stonger and better built than the originals............. go to www.autogear.net to get enlightened........
good day.......................
deja vu 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:25 AM   #4
shotgun_000
AF Newbie

SwaveDave! Haven't I seen you on another forum?

I personally have not had one, but I've heard they are much noiser. In fact, some people call the M22 the "rock crusher" because that's what it sounds like
shotgun_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
1970SSLS6
AF Newbie

Murco, since you obviously have NO clue what you're talking about, why did you waste time trying to act like you do? There's a HUGE difference between an M21 and an M22! M22 gears are cut at approximately 1/2 the angle that M20 or M21 gears are! This reduces heat and side loading which in turn makes the transmission MUCH stronger. Also keep in mind that the vintage tranny is going in a vintage corvette. I personally would NEVER consider putting any of the newer trannys in my Chevelle myself. When was the last time a transmission was designed for a hi performance big block in mind? Most newer trannys would shatter behind the big block he has in his corvette, unless you want to go with the all out racing transmissions that are available today. Now to answer the original question. An M22 is MUCH louder than an M21, or ANY other production street transmission ever made. Personally, I love the whining sound they make, and in 4th gear they're actually pretty quiet, so it's not like you have to listen to the loud gear whine all the time. With the torque monster you have in your corvette, an M22 would definitely be a major upgrade to an M21. If you plan on racing the car and REALLY abusing the trans, then go with autogear's super M22. I've beat the hell out of mine over and over and it still shifts as smoothly as it did the day i installed it.
1970SSLS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:58 AM   #6
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Re: How noisy is an M22 Transmission for a street vette ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970SSLS6
Murco, since you obviously have NO clue what you're talking about, why did you waste time trying to act like you do?
I love these newbs... This one claims he owns an LS6 Chevelle and therefore is the authority on M22 transmissions.
Ok boys, I grew up around many many big block Corvettes both with M22s and M21s. My father and his best friend Wayne Walker had probably 25-30 between the two of them. If Wayne Walker sounds familiar, think 1969 ZL1 Corvette (the Daytona Yellow one) that he rescued and restored in 1980. I've riden and driven many cars with both and never really noticed any difference in the noise level, which is the original posting question. Maybe it was the noise levels of the big-block sidepipes overwhleming any gear noise, but I never noticed it ever.
As for the rest of my comments... An M22 is an antiquated design and while it may be perfect on a 100% restoration it is fairly impractical for daily driving. 1:1 4th gear means you certainly don't want to take to the highway with a set of rear gears higher than maybe 3.08. Also, look at all of the "M22 updates" on the AGE website! The M22 was wonderful 35 years ago but times and technology have changed. I drive my cars and like to take them on trips. I've had Tremecs and T-56s behind engines putting out over 500lbs of torque and never had a problem with either. I'll eat my words the day my best customer brings his 840hp Whipple-charged Viper into my shop and needs his STOCK T-56 transmission rebuilt. I've replaced 6 half-shafts for him, one hub, and 12 wheel studs, but the factory transmission remains untouched and performs flawlessly. I think that his Viper is a little more brutal than any LS6 or even the ZL1 ever was. An overdrive transmission offers a great deal more flexibility for gearing and has much less RPM drop between gears than even your much-vaunted "close-ratio" M22. That keeps the engine closer to it's peak-power and that means a faster car. What dope would actually build a car today with an M22? An aging baby-boomer who only wants to relive the days when his pecker actually worked.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Re: Re: How noisy is an M22 Transmission for a street vette ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a leaker
*quote removed by moderator*
Hey look, another banning! Anyone else want to offer-up some direct-personal attacks instead of backing your assertions?
Here is the bottom line, guys...
A question was posed, I replied with opinion and common sense in an effort to make a modified car more enjoyable for it's driver. I do this everyday and people are pretty damn pleased with what I do for them. If they want a 100 point restoration, I send them elsewhere. If they want a fun, drivable car that will flatten there eyeballs or chase SCCA cars around a track, I'm their man. I've built 64 cars for customers, 58 of them were GM cars so I've got a little experience with them. My opinion is based on that background and seeing what people really enjoy in cars. I have built 3 cars with M22's in them (by customer request) only to upgrade them to overdrives within 6 months or their first road-trip, whichever comes first. Of all the 25+ 6-speeds I've installed only 1 has failed when a Richmond 6OD had a rare case-casting irregularity.

Last edited by jon@af; 02-07-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Murco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:47 AM   #8
FortechMini11
AF Regular

Re: How noisy is an M22 Transmission for a street vette ?

i believe the M22 has straight cut gears, which is where the noise comes from, you know that whirring when you drive in reverse.
FortechMini11 is offline   Reply With Quote