Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Honda_Civic7
AF Newbie

Squeaky brand new timing belt

I had my timing belt replaced (Honda Civic 2005). When they backed it out there was this squeaking sound. So they turned it off and tightened a few bolts on something near the top front of the car -- Maybe a water pump or something. Then they started it up again. They said that it was "better" but it was still making some squeaking sounds when cranking the steering wheel. They declared that probably some grease or some water got on it and to come back in a week if it was still squeaking. Right now if I'm driving straight it doesn't squeak. But going around tight curves is a different story. Even pulling slowly away from the curb caused it to squeak. At one point I was turning a little to the left and by the time the road was straight it was still squeaking for a long stretch.

Any idea what exactly is causing this? And is this somewhat "normal" after replacing a timing belt? My problem is that I am wanting to put this car up for sale in about 3 days. This squeak is going to scare people off.

Last edited by Honda_Civic7; 12-24-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Honda_Civic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: Squeaky brand new timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Civic7 View Post
I had my timing belt replaced (Honda Civic 2005). When they backed it out there was this squeaking sound. So they turned it off and tightened a few bolts on something near the top front of the car -- Maybe a water pump or something. Then they started it up again. They said that it was "better" but it was still making some squeaking sounds when cranking the steering wheel. They declared that probably some grease or some water got on it and to come back in a week if it was still squeaking. Right now if I'm driving straight it doesn't squeak. But going around tight curves is a different story. Even pulling slowly away from the curb caused it to squeak. At one point I was turning a little to the left and by the time the road was straight it was still squeaking for a long stretch.

Any idea what exactly is causing this? And is this somewhat "normal" after replacing a timing belt? My problem is that I am wanting to put this car up for sale in about 3 days. This squeak is going to scare people off.
Since it mainly squeaks when turning , I'd suggest the power steering unit is in play here as no stress is placed on it when going in a straight line . Could be several reasons for the squeak ( idler pulley insufficient pressure on the belt , the belt itself , a pulley misalignment , etc. ) ! Concentrate on this area and see if any problems are apparent ? Good luck !
Old 12-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Honda_Civic7
AF Newbie

Re: Squeaky brand new timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblu65 View Post
Since it mainly squeaks when turning , I'd suggest the power steering unit is in play here as no stress is placed on it when going in a straight line . Could be several reasons for the squeak ( idler pulley insufficient pressure on the belt , the belt itself , a pulley misalignment , etc. ) ! Concentrate on this area and see if any problems are apparent ? Good luck !
Actually here's what it did tonight. Started up cold and it squeaked for about 2 minutes. Didn't matter if I was turning or going straight. About 15 minutes of driving later I came out of a slight downhill bend in the road and it started squeaking again, even as I'm driving straight. I finally put my foot on the gas and that caused it to stop squeaking. Then I came to a stop at a light. When the light turned, as soon as I put my foot on the gas it started squeaking and then it finally faded out after about 20 yards of straight driving.

The shop said that when it was taken apart, fluids like antifreeze got onto the belt area and that it just needs to burn that stuff off.
Honda_Civic7 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General