Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > Z3
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Panchoz3
AF Newbie

Dipstick bone dry. Need info. Re. oil change or bigger problems.

Wifey, who is chronically negligent about every piece of machinery we own, last night, was heading out to her horse riding lesson, and came back in to tell me that her car wasn't starting (1997 Z3 1.9). I let her take my '93 Jeep ZJ that runs like a top. Bought the Z3 four banger brand new in '97. I trekked to the garage. Antifreeze had puddled out from under car--about a half quart. Visually checked head gasket--looks OK. Checked radiator reservoir--empty. Checked dip stick for milky oil--no oil. Dipstick was bone dry. No kidding--it was dusty, not a molecule of oil on the dipstick. Hard to believe, but true. Had a beer and a shot of Bushmills to calm me down. No need fighting about this, again, because, of course, she who must be obeyed, can do no wrong.

Called a friend who has a shop. Told me, first step, put in oil because vehicle might have a sensor that blocks ignition if no oil pressure.
Question #1: Does anyone have info Re. this oil pressure sensor issue ?

So, will do oil change. From surveying forums, have learned that oil filter housing cap is removed with a 36mm socket.
Question #2: Is this true ?

As it is below freezing here, best to not try to drain oil from dipstick tube, so, plan to drain from crankcase.
Question #3: What is size of crank case drain plug ?

Thanks.
CLK430 Cabriolet, bought it new in year 2000, Chassis# W208, Trans#722.623, Engine #113.943
Panchoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
ronnie38
AF Newbie

Re: Dipstick bone dry. Need info. Re. oil change or bigger problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoz3 View Post

Wifey, who is chronically negligent about every piece of machinery we own, last night, was heading out to her horse riding lesson, and came back in to tell me that her car wasn't starting (1997 Z3 1.9). I let her take my '93 Jeep ZJ that runs like a top. Bought the Z3 four banger brand new in '97. I trekked to the garage. Antifreeze had puddled out from under car--about a half quart. Visually checked head gasket--looks OK. Checked radiator reservoir--empty. Checked dip stick for milky oil--no oil. Dipstick was bone dry. No kidding--it was dusty, not a molecule of oil on the dipstick. Hard to believe, but true. Had a beer and a shot of Bushmills to calm me down. No need fighting about this, again, because, of course, she who must be obeyed, can do no wrong.

Called a friend who has a shop. Told me, first step, put in oil because vehicle might have a sensor that blocks ignition if no oil pressure.
Question #1: Does anyone have info Re. this oil pressure sensor issue ?

So, will do oil change. From surveying forums, have learned that oil filter housing cap is removed with a 36mm socket.
Question #2: Is this true ?

As it is below freezing here, best to not try to drain oil from dipstick tube, so, plan to drain from crankcase.
Question #3: What is size of crank case drain plug ?

Thanks.
Question 1: Per the wiring charts in the Bently Manual there is NO oil pressure sensor in the starting system.

Question 2: Yes

Question 3: If I can remember correctly its 17mm
ronnie38 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > Z3