Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
m1kemcm
AF Newbie

"Fuel smell" when starting, some other items

I've had my LS for a while now, it is a V8 w/moonroof package.

I've had the seals problems with the plugs, which was a drag.

Despite this I like it very much because of comfort, acceleration and handling.

However, these things lately:

I've noticed that it takes a few more cranks to start after sitting overnight or for a few hours, and there is a strong gas smell. Any ideas as to the cause? Also, the engine light has come on this past week.

The buttons on the steering wheel for radio and cruise controls are not working, I've been told this is due to a "collar" that the wiring runs through, and it might cost around $500. What is a reasonable ballpark price for this repair?

My drivers side power window no longer operates (got it fixed once, it broke again a year later-- it was a very expensive repair, several hundred dollars). I'm told this is the regulator. What is a reasonable price for this repair?

I've got to take it in to get the engine light checked, so I'm thinking I can do these things all at the same time if it is not too much.

Thanks for any input.
m1kemcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
joegr
AF Regular

Re: "Fuel smell" when starting, some other items

I've had my LS for a while now, it is a V8 w/moonroof package.
While it's nice to know that you have a moonroof, it would be even better to know what year your LS is. There are some big differences between some years.

I've had the seals problems with the plugs, which was a drag.
Okay, so yours is probably in the range of 2000 to 2003. There is a big difference between 2002 and 2003.

Despite this I like it very much because of comfort, acceleration and handling.
Most of us do.

I've noticed that it takes a few more cranks to start after sitting overnight or for a few hours, and there is a strong gas smell. Any ideas as to the cause?
It could be a lot of things, but most likely you have some marginal COPs (Coil On Plug ignition). Many LS owners have found that the best thing to do is to replace all the COPs and plugs. If you have 2003-2005 LS, then faulty coils will be replaced for free at a Lincoln dealer if you have less than 100K miles.

Also, the engine light has come on this past week.
You should get the codes read and report them back here. They may support or shoot down the theory about coils. Some auto parts stores will read the codes for free.

The buttons on the steering wheel for radio and cruise controls are not working, I've been told this is due to a "collar" that the wiring runs through, and it might cost around $500. What is a reasonable ballpark price for this repair?
It's called the clockspring. The part itself is not too expensive. You have to remove the steering wheel to install it.

My drivers side power window no longer operates (got it fixed once, it broke again a year later-- it was a very expensive repair, several hundred dollars). I'm told this is the regulator. What is a reasonable price for this repair?
The gen II (2003-2006) regulator is about $80 and is pretty easy to change. I believe that the gen I (2000-2002) is more expensive.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

The early model year window regulators do tend to be a bit more expensive, but they too are pretty easy to replace. After doing one or two it takes less than 30 minutes to replace one.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
m1kemcm
AF Newbie

Thanks for the replies, sorry thought the model year would show up somewhere because I had entered it when registering so I didn't specify this-- it is a 2001, so it seems like this would the the gen I regulator. It has about 170k miles on it at this point.

Interesting thing, the engine light had come on the over the weekend, it was hot, in the 80s.

Then yesterday and today it has not come on: cooler, in the 60s-70s and rainy weather on these days.

Here's another question-- i've got the chromed aluminum rims, 17". one of which I had to replace because of a crack. They are extremely expensive new, and the chrome flakes off inside the tire once they get older. I'm thinking of replacing all the rims with something less expensive. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
m1kemcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

Your next step should be to find a parts store in your area that will pull the diagnostic codes at no charge and post those codes here, like joegr suggested in post #2 above. There are a lot of components that could cause the symptoms you describe, having the diagnostic codes will reduce the areas you need to search considerably.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ