Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Interior | Audio | Security
Interior | Audio | Security Tech forum to assist in Honda/Acura Interior, Audio and Security.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 05:17 AM   #1
Juzz18
AF Newbie

head unit install gone totally wrong need desperate help!!

My girlfriends brother in law installed a head unit for me yesterday in my 1997 Honda Integra Vti-R. Ever since that has been put in it has buggered up my alarm system.

See what happens is before anything was touched for some reason when you lock and unlock my car with the remote key it makes a sound and only flashes down the left side of the car.

But as soon as he installed a new head unit my keyless entry remote control car isn't working correctly. it will unlock and lock the door but it doesn't make the sound anymore and the lights sometimes go nuts flashing like seven or eight times. the car then sets the alarm of on me when i try to get in or even putting the key in the ingition to start the car. After i thought i unlocked the car i went for a 20min drive and then when i stopped the alarm went off as i was getting out of the car.

the car's previous head unit was the stock honda tape deck and the guy who put the headunit claims that he never messed with the alram system but for some reason it all went crazy when the head unit was installed.

He now says he doesn't know how to fix the problem and i was wondering if anyone can help. i dont really want to go spend money for a new one and am hoping that someone who knows about this can just fix it just be playing around with it or playing around with the wires.

if any of you guys can help out or can provide any info or website links anything then plz help out.

thanks heaps
Old 02-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
InstallTech
AF Regular

Re: head unit install gone totally wrong need desperate help!!

Wow. That's going to be *really* hard to troubleshoot without actually *seeing* what the car's doing.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
Juzz18
AF Newbie

yeh i've been looking around and no one really knows how to help me. There is a place thats wants $70 an hour to look at it and they think they can fix it but thats a lot of money to fork out.

Basically the remote control isn't working correctly to tell the alarm system that i have deactivated it.

If i unlock the car ok the car unlocks and the red light above the steering wheel stops flashing. but if i wait 30odd seconds before i start the car the it will just reneable the alarm system therefore the alarm going off when i try to start the car.

Same goes when i finish drive and turn the ingition off. if i sit in the car for a small amount of time, without pushing the unlock/lock button the car willl turn on the alarm system (hense the red light on) then thats why the alarm goes off when i get out of the car as well.

Can you possibly give me a series of steps for things to look at??

cause im left clueless atm and i really need this fixed asap.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
InstallTech
AF Regular

Totally understand your frustration. Do you know what model alarm it is? Sounds like it's set up for passive arming, which means that 30 seconds or so after the last door is closed or the dome light shuts off, the system will arm itself. That's more of a programming issue than an actual problem with the alarm, but if it's doing more funky stuff than that, then it would warrant a deeper look.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
Juzz18
AF Newbie

nah dont know what the model for the alarm is. got no clue. It is some aftermarket one that came with the car when i bought it privately.

the remote is square and has to round buttons. One button with a single line (|) which is for locking/unlocking the car and the other button has 2 lines (||) which is ment to be for taking the unlocking/locking sound on and off but that button doesn't work since this new head unit install...
Old 02-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #6
Juzz18
AF Newbie

Hey here is further news on the problem.

Im almost certain that it's got to do with the head unit and or wireing because the most bazaar thing happened just before. I was sitting in the car listen to a cd while waiting for mates with the key switched to the first stage (before accessories) Neway i turned the music up louder and the alarm went off but exactly to the beat of the song.

I then noticed that turning up the volume is what makes the alarm go off also. if i adjust it slrightly the alarm starts beeping to the beat of the song and if i turn the volume up more then it just sets the alarm off like normal???

What is going on?????? am i going to do damage to anything??

i got 2 get this fixed ASAP??
Old 02-19-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Pavlo
AF Enthusiast

I really don't think how head unit installation has effect on alarm, they don't really share any wiring. It is probably your alarm malfunctioning, maybe disconecting the battery caused it to act like that (i do hope he disconected the battery before install).

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Interior | Audio | Security