Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 11:52 AM   #31
ToadBoy
AF Newbie

"Blue" Tokicos with G/C "Limited Edition" That's what I have.
ToadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 08:37 PM   #32
petzride
AF Enthusiast

wow....so many peoples are givin u advises.......

u r lucky~~~

so.....I'm gonna give u some too...

I used to have skunk2 with tokico blue and 15' wheels on my old 98

civic...

the ride was fr$$king sucks.....(I got headache everytime after drivin it)

Now I have pro kit with tokico blue and 17' wheel on my integra...

and the ride is just "ok"....(worse than stock, I think its cuz of 17' wheel)

that's it, and I hope I'm not makin u more confuse........

For sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t53308.html
petzride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:37 AM   #33
dominate9
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to dominate9 Send a message via Yahoo to dominate9
Re: Ground Control

Quote:
Originally posted by ToadBoy
For street use only, Ground controls are your best bet. They have a comfortable spring rate and they match up to the "blue" Tokico shocks perfectly. The feel is like stock, but you'll still get better handling than stock. I knew someone with a 1996 Integra GSR with the Skunk 2 setup. They said it was really harsh. He got a ride in my car with the Ground Controls w/ "blue" tokicos and my car was also 1" lower than his. He said my ride was 100 times better and it felt like stock. I took a couple of hard corners and he was impressed. He ended up getting them the next week but got the "white" tokico 5 way adjustable shocks. That way he can turn up the stiffness during track use. If you're into hard cornering, don't just rely on your springs and shocks setup. Swaybars will do wonders to your handling and they won't significantly affect your ride quality.
I am interested in the same setup. Do you get any bouncing or rubbing?
dominate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 11:28 AM   #34
ToadBoy
AF Newbie

I get no more bouncing than stock. The only thing that rubs is the stock mud flaps to the ground during hard cornering. The front flaps sit less than two inches above the ground when the car is still. I lowered the point where the wheel well meets to the top of the tire. I get no rubbing on the inside fender. I did get rubbing however when I had the car an inch lower than how I have it now. The ride was still good but it rubbed during corners. That's what happens when your car is too low. I'm currently running my stock 14" wheels that came with my Integra LS. I also have stock swaybars. I've had this set up for almost a year now with no problems. You'll get a stiffer ride with 16" or 17" wheels.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:36 PM   #35
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Toadboy, I've got a ? for you about your set, which I'm planning to get, myself. I'm sure you noticed how the ride (since our stock suspensions were similar) that with a full car load of people, or weight, the car would have a Town Car or Cadillac type feel when on a bumpy highway, or going over moderate dips at a good enough speed, where the car would just keep bouncing as if on a boat. Does you ride still react this way with the G/C's and Tokicos, or is that part eliminated? I'm really trying to make the ride a lot stiffer when like 4 people are in the car, I'm not as much worried about having it stiff when I'm the only one in there, but I'd like it a near stock feel with only me in the car, and a lot stiffer than stock with a full load.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 03:57 PM   #36
ToadBoy
AF Newbie

I have two to three passengers in my car all of the time. It has the same effect as if with the stock suspension. It does however has a less floaty affect then stock, so that's good. That's probably due to the Tokico shocks. The car does however lower a bit in the rear with three other people weighing about 170lbs each (i have big friends). It drops the car no more than 1/2 of an inch. It's the same effect as if the suspension was stock. I also have a 100lb subwoofer box in the back of the hatch so that adds more weight in the rear. The spring rate on the g/c is much higher than stock so it's able to handle the additional weight pretty nicely. I don't recommend driving like a race car driver with the additional weight because you may not be used to the handling with the extra wieght. I weight 150 and with three other people at 170lbs and a subwoofer box, that's 760lbs over the weight of the vehicle. I remember somewhere on the owner's manual that said to not have over 500lbs added to the car's weight. That averages to 4 passengers weighting 125lbs each. I guess they made the car to hold small people from Japan.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:05 PM   #37
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
LOL, not accounting for Sumos I guess.

Thanks for the info about that. The minimal floaty feeling I get with a full load, and the lesser of it with your set up is just what I'm looking for. I have a sub box in the trunk of my coupe, but I doubt it weighs in anymore than 35lbs. at most. So that isn't an issue. And the most passenger weight I have is an occasional passenger riding shotgun, but maybe people in the back seats once every couple of months, if even that. This is for sure the set up I'm going to go with, and a local shop even told me that G/C recommends using the "blue" Tokicos with G/C for a comfortable non adjustable ride. Can't argue with that if the manufacture recommends it.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 01-09-2002, 08:17 PM   #38
CivicEx95
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CivicEx95 Send a message via AIM to CivicEx95
GC and Tockio blues here on my car. Its lowered about 3" on GSR wheels. Ride is alright, but as Texan said, I've never compared it to any other shocks on my car compared to stock. I'm fine with the setup, and I guess I'd have to ride in the same car with Koni Yellows or something to see what its like before I lay down the money for them.

My friend in a 95 Integra has Skunk2 with stock shocks and the ride is bouncier than mine. Another friend has maxspeed coilovers with stock shocks on his 96 Accord. Bouncy as hell.
CivicEx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:55 AM   #39
SPOONFED_VTEC
AF Regular

Question

So what company would on go with if he occassionally used his car for the strip? H&R, Apexi, TEIN, HP racing? Any help is appreciated.
SPOONFED_VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:39 PM   #40
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Wow, old archived thread. How times have changed. Read up to my last 2 posts on this page. It's crazyness, I wised up a month or two after that, did some serious research, saved some hard earned pennies, and settled on a set of Tein SS coilovers and haven't looked back since! I've been rolling on them for almost 2 years now, and I couldn't be any more satisfied. I even went as much as to upgrade the springs about 6 months ago to 2kg STIFFER at all 4 corners, and it still rides comfortable and smooth.

Anyways, if you use your car for the strip, and NO performance handling type driving, then ANY kind of coilover (weather it be a true full one like Tein, JIC, A'PEXi, etc... or a sleeve type like Skunk2 or Ground Control), it's wasted money IMO since you won't be using them to their fullest potential for the most part. In a drag setup, you want something that's super stiff up front so that the drive wheels keep planted to the pavement, especially under hard launches that can induce wheelhop.

I'd highly recommend either some Neuspeed Race springs paired to Koni Yellow or Koni Red shocks, or if you want the height adjustability, then go Skunk2 (since they have a WAY higher spring rate than Ground Control, which is what you want for drag applications) and pair them to the same Koni shocks, Yellows or Reds.

If youd rather have the latest, greatest, trendyest and something that WILL for sure keep the fronts planted on the ground at ALL times and money is no object, you could always opt for a set of Tein HT coilovers. 20kg (1230lbs/ft) front spring rates, and 7kg (391lbs/ft) rear spring rates, as well as 16-way compression adjustment as well as seperate 16-way rebound dampening force adjustment, and an externally mounted oil resevoir for added performance. All for the low retail price of $1800 In comparison, most street application coilover setups don't exceed 10kg for spring rates. The Tein HT has a rate of twice that amount. These almost certainly wouldn't be streetable at that high of a spring stiffness though, but for drag that might be the ticket.

hessemer69 on AIM

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels