Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 07:44 PM   #1
b-b00gie
Banned

Send a message via AIM to b-b00gie
Question Wheelzzz....

As some of you probably read, I've been contemplating some massive 19" wheels for my P11... (yeah yeah they're heavy...)

I currently have 18" x 7" wheels with an offset of 42, the wheels I want are 19" x 7.5" (not sure on the offset, but knowing Racing Hart its probably 42 as well)

here's my concern...

with the 7" wheels, in the front I am AWFULLY close to that "beam" in front of the strut. my concern is that with a 7.5" wheel I will rub. I know its only a half inch but still... even to get 1 rim w/ a tire to test fit will run me $800 as the set of four will be $3200

I know some of you have 18x7.5's, but for those who do, is your car lowered?

if so what springs/suspension setup do you have?

does it rub?
b-b00gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 06:11 AM   #2
b-b00gie
Banned

hello?

where the heck is everyone that told me they had 7.5" wide wheels?
Old 06-20-2001, 07:51 AM   #3
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Hey b00gie!

I don't have 7.5's on my car but I will tell you this. Any time you go wider, you are going to run the chance of rubbing. My suggestion to you is a simple one that you can do yourself and it won't cost you a thing. Try and park your car somewhere you can get under it. Then have someone get in the car and turn it all the way and holding it there. If you already have 7's on, you could literally measure by sight the 1/2 difference and you'll know definitely if they will rub. As for the wheel wells, you're on your on that one. Can't think of a way without putting the tire and testing it.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:00 AM   #4
b-b00gie
Banned

not worried about the wheel wells as the outside diameter of 19's will not change compared to the tires i have on my 18's...

as far as jacking it up and looking, i guess i could try that, but it will be a pain cause i cant just jack up the car on one corner.... i'll have to jack up the whole front and lift the wheels to the typical ride height to get an accurate measurement due to the upper link arm/beam

heh.. and call me crazy but i'm not to crazy about crawling under a car on jack stands!!
Old 06-20-2001, 08:10 AM   #5
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
No! Don't jack it up. It won't be accurate. I mean somewhere where you will have room to get under it and the wheels will sit normally. Let me know if that helps.

I agree with getting under a jacked up car too!!
Old 06-20-2001, 09:46 AM   #6
Nismoboy1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Nismoboy1
well, i'll probably be no help here but i have some 18x7.5in wheels and 215/40 rated tires and i dont rub at all but thats only because i still have my stock suspension but i do plan on lowering it with either eibach pro-kits or some tein s.tech's haven't decided yet but i'll let you know how it turns out...

For Sale: 18" Gold Axis Se7en's and Eibach Pro-kits also for a G20 P11. Check the Infiniti G20 Classifieds Here

***My G20 - Click Here***
Nismoboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 10:49 AM   #7
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Quote:
Originally posted by b-b00gie
hello?

where the heck is everyone that told me they had 7.5" wide wheels?
Sorry dude cant help you out.....18x7 on mine.

I would say at a guess you may get some rubbing as i know there is not much room with 7's

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 01:42 PM   #8
G22DET
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to G22DET Send a message via AIM to G22DET
b00gie, it's no problem for you to get 19x7.5 wheels as long as the offset is correct. I dont know exactly what offset you should get, but for 7inch wide wheels, 35-42mm offset is okay for the car...but i am using examples from 17" wheels though.

GDA Power!
G22DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 01:53 PM   #9
b-b00gie
Banned

hey luke.. do you have a RH catalog handy that you could find out what the offset on the 3pc M5's are in 19x7.5 i'm guessing it'll be 42mm for the 7.5
Old 06-22-2001, 05:09 PM   #10
blkghst3
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to blkghst3
is 45mm offset too much?
blkghst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 08:04 PM   #11
b-b00gie
Banned

on a 7" wheel you can probably get away with it..
Old 06-22-2001, 11:30 PM   #12
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

guys, while I was putting on the TEIN's last weekend, I noticed that the maximum offset our cars can take with a 1.75inch lowered ride is 7 inches width wheel with 42-48mm offset. anything more/less will either stick out of the fender wheel (which is butt ugly and an embarrassment that you can't do your calculations right) or will come extremely close to rubbing the vertical beam on the suspension arms. I got myself some 17x7's today with 45mm offset and notice only an 8mm gap between the beam and the sidewall of the 215/45's. this is running pretty darn close. with a 7.5inch wheel, you will most-likely rub or stickout the wheel from the fender well. this is a FF car, take it easy on the offset especially on the front. also, you have got to lower your car if you want the low profile tires to look good. you should keep your 18's that you got and work on lowering your car.

do it the right way. first lower the car, then get wheels and tires.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 06:34 AM   #13
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by kenchan
guys, while I was putting on the TEIN's last weekend, I noticed that the maximum offset our cars can take with a 1.75inch lowered ride is 7 inches width wheel with 42-48mm offset. anything more/less will either stick out of the fender wheel (which is butt ugly and an embarrassment that you can't do your calculations right) or will come extremely close to rubbing the vertical beam on the suspension arms. I got myself some 17x7's today with 45mm offset and notice only an 8mm gap between the beam and the sidewall of the 215/45's. this is running pretty darn close. with a 7.5inch wheel, you will most-likely rub or stickout the wheel from the fender well. this is a FF car, take it easy on the offset especially on the front.
That doesn't hold true for a P10.

I'm running 17x7.5 45mm offset ADR M-Classics with 205/40-17. No rubbing anywhere. It's close though.

George Roffe

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 08:34 AM   #14
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

yah, I'm talking P11. don't know about P10's.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 01:26 PM   #15
poppy_morenito
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to poppy_morenito Send a message via Yahoo to poppy_morenito
Quote:
Originally posted by P10DET

That doesn't hold true for a P10.

I'm running 17x7.5 45mm offset ADR M-Classics with 205/40-17. No rubbing anywhere. It's close though.

George Roffe
What suspension set up are you running George ?

I have 17's wheels and can not decise between KYB/AGX's with Eibachs or Intrax....now because the INTRAX ride is lower from what I have seen but the Eibach is supposed to be better quality but not as low .....
poppy_morenito is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels