Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Water leaks.

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty for a recall they did a 23 pt inspection and said I needed new antifreeze. I came home and opened the hood to look and it was dripping under the radiator. I went out the next day and put a pressure test on it. I didn't see any dripping but I waited a day and felt along the floor where it had dripped and it was antifreeze. I had to remove the fan,big reservior,grill.just to do a good visual inspection. I ordered a new water pump,radiator hoses ,thermostat and fan and heater hoses. Jeep is trying hard to keep people from working on their vehicles. I got everything from Rock Auto for under $250.00.
I purchased Zerex which meets Chrysler Specs from Pep Boys for $19.99 a gallon pure no water added.
I would expect more than 80,000 miles for these items. That is the mileage on my vehicle. It was from Florida so it probably had some ocean salt on the radiator. I think a water pump failed because of a bearing failure as it had a worn spot on the block and a used car lot installed a junk yard pump.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Water leaks.

I found Motorad uses a time control thermostat If placed into boiling water it takes about 3-5 minutes before it opens fully. If you look the return hose goes uphill. It has a 3/8 inch aluminum pipe plug on the end of the radiator hose at the block. Mine was over tightened I used a 1/2 drive Gedore german allen 8mm socket and it completely rounded out. I had to use a spiral drive easy out. I put a 3/8 brass pipe back in use pipe sealant or teflon tape. You can purchase 3/8 npt aluminum pipe plugs on ebay.
If you can't get the pipe out go to Advance or Auto Zone and get a loaner pressure tester. It allowed me to install about tow quarts. With the plug out I got about 1 cups worth more. I have my own pressure tester. The thermostat end with the spring goes into the block. The cone shaped part goes into the radiator hose. Make sure you bleed to the overflow bottle works watch antifreeze levels.
Does anyone know if brass will react with aluminum and cause corrosion.

Last edited by rhandwor; 06-17-2018 at 05:28 PM.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty