Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
prowler919
AF Newbie

Tires bouncing like basketballs

I have a 2000 4X4 1500. Twice now I have been driving on the highway around 60 and when I pass over a rough area, the wheels bounce all over the place. After the first time, I replaced the shocks. But it happened again. The tires are new, and are balanced a rotated every 5000 miles. Any idea what else may be wrong?
prowler919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
silveradoking
AF Regular

Re: Tires bouncing like basketballs

tire pressure....try decreasing the tire pressure by 5- 10kpa from the maximum......meaning if your tire pressure maximum is 45kpa, then put the tire pressure to 40kpa or even 35kpa and see what happens......that was a mistake trying to change the shocks....and don't forget trucks bounce alot....
silveradoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
3wbdriver
AF Enthusiast

I'll bet it was the rear end doing the bouncing. That is a byproduct of driving any P/U truck, especially with no load in the back. You have to remember these things are sprung to carry a 1000lb+ load in the back, so if the rear suspension gets any kind of hard knock without some weight to steady it, you're going to get some bounce and skip. These newer rigs have a softer ride built in for the first inch or two of travel, but a hard bump at speed is going to make it compress harder with a correspondingly harder rebound. If the truck settles down after a second or 2, that's likely your problem. I live in Louisiana, which has the worst roads I've driven on in 30 years of driving, and that skip is a daily happening at anything over 55mph down here.

GAS IT TIL YOU SEE GOD, THEN TURN LEFT!!!!!!
3wbdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
dr_of_lovephd
AF Enthusiast

What type of tires did you buy? The tires can have a big impact on ride quality. I have to travel down a cobble stone road everyday. With the all terrain tires I used to have the ride was very rough. I could not comfortably drive faster than 25mph. Then I bought some tires from someone that was customizing his escalade. I was suprised how much the street tires smoothed out the ride. Apparently the all terrain tires are made of a harder rubber that makes them bounce more than normal tires.
dr_of_lovephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
prowler919
AF Newbie

I have kelly suv tires since I do a lot of driving on the highway.
The bouncing lasts a lot longer than 2 seconds, it last until I slow down below 40-45. It feels like the whole truck is bouncing, front and back. The steering wheel wobbles also.
The shocks were original and the truck has 105,000 miles on it, that's why I thought the shocks may be bad.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
3wbdriver
AF Enthusiast

AWLRIGHTY then............ I have had that problem on 2 vehicles in my lifetime. One truck, and one car, both 2WD (A arm front end). Have your front ball joints checked, and possibly your A arm bushings. When mine were doing it, I didn't even have to hit a bump. It would just start shimmying at a certain speed, and not stop until I slowed down. And yes, it is a very disconcerting feeling.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
Faze2183
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Faze2183 Send a message via Yahoo to Faze2183

i got the same issue, but i hope my new tool box when i get it installed or well my chest box and load it down with some stuff will help

02 Chevy EcSb Z71, 5.3, Helix Tb Spacer, Ebay intake, AirAid MIT, F-M-D-F 50 3'' in and dual 2.5'' out, Msd 8.5 wires, NGKTR55 IX plugs, B&M 25k Trans Cooler, Hypertech 160, 4th gear servo, Vette Servo, Transgo ShiftKit, Nelson Tune, Nelson Harness, Ls1 fans,Toyo Open Country A/T 285.75.16 15.9673 @87.29mph in the 1/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai
People with ill-aligned priorities should be sent to California or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Con
Never doubt boost fool it gave my neon balls
Faze2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #8
Faze2183
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Faze2183 Send a message via Yahoo to Faze2183

and big ol new bumper too

02 Chevy EcSb Z71, 5.3, Helix Tb Spacer, Ebay intake, AirAid MIT, F-M-D-F 50 3'' in and dual 2.5'' out, Msd 8.5 wires, NGKTR55 IX plugs, B&M 25k Trans Cooler, Hypertech 160, 4th gear servo, Vette Servo, Transgo ShiftKit, Nelson Tune, Nelson Harness, Ls1 fans,Toyo Open Country A/T 285.75.16 15.9673 @87.29mph in the 1/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai
People with ill-aligned priorities should be sent to California or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Con
Never doubt boost fool it gave my neon balls
Faze2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
prowler919
AF Newbie

Thanks, I'll have them checked. After reading all these forums, I was beginning to believe that it was "california freeway hop" that I've heard so much about.
Are they easy to replace, or should I have a dealership do it? With 105,000 on it, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace them anyway...
Old 04-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #10
3wbdriver
AF Enthusiast

If the bushings are worn, your probably better off have a skilled mechanic do the work. Ball joints can be done by a competent shadetree. You'll need to have it aligned after the work anyway, so I'd recommend a mechanic.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:41 AM   #11
FelixD
AF Newbie

Question Re: Tires bouncing like basketballs

My 2007 dodge, 2500 diesel's left front tire does the same thing! When I'm driving past 50 and the road is a little wavy or bouncy my left front tire bounces real bad like a basketball. Also, the left front end goes down approximately 3-6 inches while it's bouncing out of control. The bouncing stops when I slow down to about 30 MPR. I have replaced all three front shocks and the front stabilizer arm. Had no luck because it keeps doing the same thing. Note: it doesn't do it if the road is smooth, even at 60 MPR.
FelixD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #12
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re post this in the Dodge truck forum.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado