Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
gtbreps_2
AF Newbie

2004 1500 Temperature Control

I own a 2004 Silverado 1500. Nearly every time I drive, I loose temperature control on the driver's side after about 15 minutes of running the engine. The passenger's side seems to be working fine. I'm not sure if it is a bad rheostat on the driver's side or a bigger issue. Any suggestions to diagnose and address this?
gtbreps_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2004 1500 Temperature Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbreps_2 View Post
I own a 2004 Silverado 1500. Nearly every time I drive, I loose temperature control on the driver's side after about 15 minutes of running the engine. The passenger's side seems to be working fine. I'm not sure if it is a bad rheostat on the driver's side or a bigger issue. Any suggestions to diagnose and address this?
temp control is a stepper motor issue most times. this moves the temp door to change air vent temps. with your vehicle you have 2 of these driver and passenger side.

on my silverado I found that the temp door stepper motor was sticking due to it binding on the vent housing so I installed washers very small to give the shaft a little space so it moves with no binding. IT could also be it is a bad temp door assy since it is over 10yrs old now ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
gtbreps_2 (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
gtbreps_2
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
temp control is a stepper motor issue most times. this moves the temp door to change air vent temps. with your vehicle you have 2 of these driver and passenger side.

on my silverado I found that the temp door stepper motor was sticking due to it binding on the vent housing so I installed washers very small to give the shaft a little space so it moves with no binding. IT could also be it is a bad temp door assy since it is over 10yrs old now ..
Thanks for the suggestion. Gave me some ideas to research. It appears that it is a blend door actuator. I have found multiple reports of the same issue all being resolved by replacing that actuator.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Gave me some ideas to research. It appears that it is a blend door actuator. I have found multiple reports of the same issue all being resolved by replacing that actuator.
post back how you made out.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
gtbreps_2
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 2004 1500 Temperature Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
post back how you made out.
So far I have driven 3 times since replacing. So far I haven't had any issues. Seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
yakkk
AF Newbie

Quote:
So far I have driven 3 times since replacing. So far I haven't had any issues. Seems to have fixed the problem.
Hey I've got the same issue - I planeed to replace the driver's side actuator. One question, when installing the new part, do I align the door shaft to the actuator or align the actuator to the door shaft?
yakkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkk View Post
Hey I've got the same issue - I planeed to replace the driver's side actuator. One question, when installing the new part, do I align the door shaft to the actuator or align the actuator to the door shaft?
you do not move the new stepper motor part or you break it.

you put it in that same as the old removed. move the vent door key.
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
yakkk (02-01-2016)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado