Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
electro452
AF Newbie

Fuel Pump?

I have a 1989 C1500 silverado, 5.7 with a few miles on it...394000 to be more exact on the same engine. The other day my son was driving the truck and it died in the middle of the street on him with no restart. Had the vehicle towed home as it looked like i wasn't getting any spark but could see fuel spraying from the injectors. Or at least I thought I saw fuel spraying. Started trouble shooting yesterday and I have good spark to the plugs but no fuel from injectors. Funny thing is when I got up yesterday morning I tried to start the truck and it fired up...a little rough but it ran. Once I shut it of it would not start again the rest of the day. Did the same thing this morning. Checked fuel pressure to the TB and no pressure. Checked fuel relay and jumpered the 12vdc from pins E to A and still nothing from the fuel pump, no noise , no pressure. I was wondering if there was anything after the fuel pump relay I am missing. When the truck started this morning I heard the fuel pump turn on for the 5 seconds before turning off because I didn't crank the engine, haven't heard the pump since.... The pump that's in there is about 3 years old....not too old... Any thoughts?
electro452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Fuel Pump?

many times even on much newer vehicles the wiring of the replacement is with defects. then we have airtex the pump that just keeps on failing.

fuel pumps require fuel. if they are operated with low fuel levels they die young.

connect a fused 12 volt to the pump see if it runs. check the ground make sure secure no rust ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
electro452 (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
electro452
AF Newbie

verified power to pump and good ground, pump not running. Hit fuel tank with rubber mallet while son cranked the engine..fuel pump started working. Checked the psi and only about 5 psi..... man...I hate changing the pump so soon.... I can't recall if it was an airtex or not but I won't get that brand if people have problems so early...
Old 06-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro452 View Post
verified power to pump and good ground, pump not running. Hit fuel tank with rubber mallet while son cranked the engine..fuel pump started working. Checked the psi and only about 5 psi..... man...I hate changing the pump so soon.... I can't recall if it was an airtex or not but I won't get that brand if people have problems so early...
if this is an airtex pump and they give you a new one for free I would not take it .. forums are loaded with airtex failures. ac delco or delphi works much better. as with any part replacing , you could get a bad recommended pump... these pumps have most all owners happy. also some repair shops will not install any airtex pumps... if the wiring has been cut/modified make sure the wiring is soldered and use some heat shrink to seal the soldering joints. this will protect the pump from voltage drops and damage.. the pump does use lots of dc current... on the frame ground connections I wire brush the steel and connector lug fasten then use a sealer over this to protect from road crap.. keeps it from rusting and resistance ....
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
electro452 (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
electro452
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the advice j cat. I wanted to get the new pump ordered so it would ship today so I ordered before I read your last post. I ordered a AC Delco pump from Rockauto. Figured I couldn't go wrong with original equipment and Delco has never let me down. Thanks for the other advice on wiring and ground, will follow as advised.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado