Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
327chevy
AF Regular

Broken rear spring recall

I had half the middle leaf of the drivers side leaf stack come out 2 weeks ago and was saving money so I could take the truck to have the spring replaced and the rest checked out.Well I get a letter in the mail today saying that GM Canada realizes that there's an issue with the springs breaking on these trucks and cover the repair if the truck is under the 5 year date from the original purchase date or under the 160000 km (100000mls).So I call today to see about getting the spring fixed at a local dealer and wouldn't you know it I'm over by almost 2 years on the time limit to have the spring fixed even though there's only about 103000 kms on the truck.You'd almost think that there'd be some kind of an allowance for,relatively,low mileage trucks.The lady I talked to at the service desk today didn't seem too interested in going to bat for me.
327chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Broken rear spring recall

so this is with your 2008 truck ?

How much do you load up the bed area ?

my 2000 the leaf springs look pretty good . and I do on occasion put 700 lbs in the bed ..

one reason the springs get damaged would be bad shocks. too much bounce the springs will break...

with chinese steel I would not be surprised if this may expand to more. I would think 110K miles and 7 yrs it should be covered since this is how GM usually looks at the life of their vehicles ...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

you need to replace both sides . also I would get new shocks.

I use Bilstiens .
Old 05-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Call GM directly to see if they will do anything for you. Dealerships (of all makes) have been known to be not so helpful on certain recalls and once corporate is called they change their tune and do it happily.

It's worth a shot.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
327chevy
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
so this is with your 2008 truck ?

How much do you load up the bed area ?

my 2000 the leaf springs look pretty good . and I do on occasion put 700 lbs in the bed ..

one reason the springs get damaged would be bad shocks. too much bounce the springs will break...

with chinese steel I would not be surprised if this may expand to more. I would think 110K miles and 7 yrs it should be covered since this is how GM usually looks at the life of their vehicles ...
The heaviest thing I've ever put in the bed of my truck was my snowmobile,and now that I have a trailer it's been at least 3 years since that's even been in there.The spring that broke was the middle one on the drivers side and new shocks have been on my list to replace,but I don't really notice anything out of the ordinary as far as ride or bounce in the rear of the truck.That's not to say it isn't,I just don't notice it.

I may just have see what chain I can yank at the corporate level to see if I can get any satisfaction in getting this situation remedied.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327chevy View Post
The heaviest thing I've ever put in the bed of my truck was my snowmobile,and now that I have a trailer it's been at least 3 years since that's even been in there.The spring that broke was the middle one on the drivers side and new shocks have been on my list to replace,but I don't really notice anything out of the ordinary as far as ride or bounce in the rear of the truck.That's not to say it isn't,I just don't notice it.

I may just have see what chain I can yank at the corporate level to see if I can get any satisfaction in getting this situation remedied.
I just replaced my rear shocks. got new under warranty. these are bilstiens. wife said truck had bounce. I did not notice it was that much. after I installed the new rear shocks now I can feel the ride is solid but this is something you get used to when it gradually changes.

the bilstiens were 8 years old ... still felt like they worked but the new ones were harder to compress...
Old 05-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #7
327chevy
AF Regular

Bilstiens are on the top of my list.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327chevy View Post
Bilstiens are on the top of my list.
shockware house has some good prices. local part stores are way too high.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado