Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 03:55 PM   #46
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Well drop a line if you do head this way. Pnwx covers Oregon, Washington and BC Canada (eh). We go out between march and october for the most part (as do most wheeler's in this area) but we do run in the winter (see superjens.com).

There are some seriously hardcore Xterra owners in the club and they are handy for help and advice. You'll run into them on this board. I'd take advice seriously as most of us share advice only when we know what we're talking about (we usually learned the hard way ).

Check out the plates at skidrow.com - they are nice. I'd recommend the Transfer case one as the T-case on the X hangs down. You rip that off and its going to take more than a welder to repair.

Manufacturers such as EOE and Calmini make nice sliders too.

I run my rig all over downtown all week and I havent noticed any real impact on mileage.

Bilstein shocks are also a very nice upgrade after tires.

Cheers
ozxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:55 PM   #47
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
Quote:
Originally posted by RticQl8
Driving on the street with Beadlocks has nothing to do with wheeling and will not help any cause to shut down any trails. That is a stretch if I ever heard of one. I too believe in Tred Lightly but some folks take this a little to far. Perhaps driving a 4x4 without a seatbelt will result in trail closers? Or talking on a cell phone while driving a 4x4 (in some states) would reflect badly on the Sierra Club. Im all about responsible wheeling but lets not go overboard here.

I still think the law is crap and I find it hard to believe you dont disagree with any laws. You too I bet think a couple laws are crap.
Umm. Yeah OK. I never even mentioned Tread Lightly.

You asked for advice, and you obviously don't like what you hear. Do whatever you want.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:28 PM   #48
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
I kind of like to go by myself.
Then you're much better off getting a winch/ARB. :smoker:
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 05:44 PM   #49
RticQl8
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller

Then you're much better off getting a winch/ARB. :smoker:
Yes I suppose you are right. Is there an advantage to the ARB rather than the Calmini bumper. I should be recieving the Calmini Bumper soon *crosses his fingers*
Old 02-28-2002, 05:51 PM   #50
RticQl8
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang

Umm. Yeah OK. I never even mentioned Tread Lightly.

You asked for advice, and you obviously don't like what you hear. Do whatever you want.
Sorry if I offended you that was not my intent. I tend to be a little more argumenitive then I actually care to be. You did not directly mention tread lightly however your signature does and you did suggest trails would be closed if I drove on the street with Beadlocks, however vaguely.

I do like what I've heard because of this thread I have changed my mind and will spend my money elsewhere. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:45 PM   #51
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:

Yes I suppose you are right. Is there an advantage to the ARB rather than the Calmini bumper. I should be recieving the Calmini Bumper soon *crosses his fingers*
You can get an ARB now.

ARB's are a known quantity. No reason the Calmini won't perform as well or better, but we just have to wait and see. (And no I don't want this to turn into another Calmini thread. There are already lots of posts debating this issue if you want to search for them)
Old 02-28-2002, 07:28 PM   #52
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Help Aussie's buy beer - buy ARB!!!!

Seriously - they are tried and true and are built to work perfectly with Warn winches. I have both and love the setup. It is clean and functional.
Old 03-01-2002, 02:58 AM   #53
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
... but I intend to do my best to avoid such damages without the added protection of body armor. I just don't want the weight, my gas mileage is bad enough as it is and given the amount of driving I do in mud I don't want to deal with the hassle of cleaning them out.
I've been on some pretty rocky trails and haven't ever hit any vital components under the Xterra.
In my experience the most hit portions are the forward leaf spring hangers in back and the lower control arms up front.

My solution is to get a 3" lift first.
If you want an alternative to skid plates you can just lift everything up off the ground a bit more.
For me skid plates can come later for piece of mind.

In my expereince you go wheeling a few times and see what the weak points are for your type of wheeling and your local terrain, THEN you start putting on mods to shore up the weak spots.

From the pics PNWX has shown I can see why sliders and skid plates are the mod of choice.
They got big rocks sticking right out of the middle of the trail!

I'm not sure how it is in So Cal but here we get more rock ledges than rocks. Lifting yourself over things is a bigger priority

So think over what mods you want to do. What works best for you is probably different from most.

2000 Nissan Xterra XE, Sport Package, 4X4, Automatic.

And yes its better than yours.
Kerensky97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 01:58 PM   #54
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

However, from the sounds of things you are concerned about mileage - which seems to signify you use your XTerra on-road a lot. Keep in mind that a lift will alter your on-road experience. You might not like it so see if you can check out a local rig with the mod on it. I agree it depends on where/how you wheel. The last time I went out in Utah I was in a huge Z-71 and still dragged that - but it depends on wether your into heavy terrain or not. If your into the nastier stuff armor will be a cheaper and more robust investment.

RTQL8 also seemed interested in a run up to WA etc. If you head this way the tried and true upgrade path seems to be:
Tires, Shocks, ARB, Skids/Sliders, Winch, Suspension mods.... I imagine its that way for a reason...

Definitely each to their own though. Talk to some of the online vendors about what you do and what you are going to do with your X and see what they recommend. There are 4X4 shops by the dozen in your area too I believe so maybe stop by and chat...

Cheers :sun:
Old 03-02-2002, 02:53 PM   #55
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ozxterra
However, from the sounds of things you are concerned about mileage - which seems to signify you use your XTerra on-road a lot.
Actually the milage doesn't bother me too much, I wish it was better but I knew the Xterra guzzled gas before I got it.
And I wish I got more offroading in, I try to go once a week but it usually ends up being more like every other week.
Plus when it takes a 2 hour freeway drive just to get to the trailhead, on-road considerations still come into play.

As for mods the Xterra can do so much more than I planned for it when it was still stock, even the few times it bottomed out it was usually my fault for not choosing the right line.
And even though I keep pushing the offroading envelope I need to remind myslef not to spend too much making it into a rockcrawler becase all I wanted was a general All Terrain Vehicle to get me to the remote capmsites, pedal-power and hiking can get me the rest of the way.

If I wanted to do the extreme stuff an Xterra is not the best base vehicle to use.
Even if I dump $3000 in mods into the Xterra, I don't think it will get me much further than I can go now.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:40 PM   #56
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Perfect Quotation!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97

Actually the milage doesn't bother me too much, I wish it was better but I knew the Xterra guzzled gas before I got it.
And I wish I got more offroading in, I try to go once a week but it usually ends up being more like every other week.
Plus when it takes a 2 hour freeway drive just to get to the trailhead, on-road considerations still come into play.

As for mods the Xterra can do so much more than I planned for it when it was still stock, even the few times it bottomed out it was usually my fault for not choosing the right line.
And even though I keep pushing the offroading envelope I need to remind myslef not to spend too much making it into a rockcrawler becase all I wanted was a general All Terrain Vehicle to get me to the remote capmsites, pedal-power and hiking can get me the rest of the way.

If I wanted to do the extreme stuff an Xterra is not the best base vehicle to use.
Even if I dump $3000 in mods into the Xterra, I don't think it will get me much further than I can go now.
Kerensky97

Very well put! I think most of us who off-road our Xterras think that way! It's never gonna be Jeep!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:02 AM   #57
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Kerensky - I was mostly addressing RTQL8's comments since he was intent on "Rock Crawling." Im an All-Terrain person myself and use my X on road a lot including for light towing. Heavy rock crawling stuff aint for me either. Some armor is though.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2002, 01:51 PM   #58
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

I understand about the Armor, someday I'll have some too the only problem is money (Always is isn't it ).

I remember being behind Scott at GOX and seeing the smooth undercarrage on his X from behind.
The piece of mind of having full rock protection for the first 3/4s of the vehicle would help alot.

It's all on the Mod Wish List,
item 12 right behind Calmini winch bumper.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:12 PM   #59
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

I hear ya! It never ends. I just buy the stuff I am going to use and admire the rest of it on someone else's ride:alien2:
Old 03-03-2002, 11:32 PM   #60
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97

The piece of mind of having full rock protection for the first 3/4s of the vehicle would help alot.
It's a great feeling. While in Moab I would hear a clunk, and know it was the sound of armor protecting the vehicle, not the "crunch" of exensive body panels. I've got full skids, sliderz, and steel front and rear bumpers now. It will take a serious roll to damage my truck body now.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail