Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 11:39 AM   #1
colorado_buff
AF Newbie

Question Shocks and AAL's

I've read through a lot of posts on this subject, but need a little clarification/help. I've decided to get new shocks and some AAL's. I'm going to go with the Bilstein shocks all around. As far as the AAL's are concerned I'm a little undecided. It seems like these are my options:

1. Rancho AAL's with stock U-Bolts and removing the Load Spring. (~ $60, is that per side or for a pair?)

2. Rancho AAL's with new U-Bolt keeping the Load Spring. ($same as #1 + U-bolt price)

3. Fabtech AAL? I know next to nothing about this one. Seen it mentioned, but haven't actually seen it for sale anywhere. I assume it is much like the Rancho.

4. Calmini AAL's. 2 extra leaves and longer U-Bolts. (~$150)

5. SLR AAL's. Don't know much about these either.

I know many of you are running the Rancho's, but that was also all that was really available at the time. Is anyone running the Calmini setup? If you could have any of these, which would you go with? Thanks for any help/comments.
colorado_buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:05 PM   #2
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

Re: Shocks and AAL's

Quote:
Originally posted by colorado_buff
5. SLR AAL's. Don't know much about these either.
Did you read the 3rd post down on page 2 of

THIS THREAD ?

It's probably the most info in the SLR AAL's your going to find.
SLR 3" Lift, SLR IV Intake, SLR Steering Stabilizer, 32" BFG MT km's, Warn Premium Locking Hubs, Gibson Exhaust, Custom Rock Sliders, Custom Safari Rack, CO2 Air Tank, Daylighters, CB, with more to come.
Craigs_Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:15 PM   #3
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

The price for the Rancho AAL's is for the pair. Actually I think more people have the Bilsteins than the Ranchos now.

Which route you go depends on what your plan down the road is and the state of your leafs. I can only speak with certainty about the performance with the Rancho AAL, and soon the National Spring pack. Others can probably give better info on the SLR and AC leafs, but here is my shot at your question.

If your leafs are already worn, then you probably want the SLR 3-leaf for the closest way to get back to stock (if you have warranty still get them replaced).

If your leafs are good, and you want a cheap lift for now, with the intention of doing somethiing else with down the road then the Rancho AAL is probably ok. If the leafs are worn the short length of the Rancho can cause the longer leafs to bend at the point the Rancho's end.

Good leafs with better performance and some lift then SLR or Calmini.

Replace the whole pack with lift then the National Spring pack from SLR or AC.

I kindof look at the Rancho AAL as a bandaid. How long it lasts depends on the state of your Nissan leafs. The SLR and Calmini's are a step up and a good reinforcement to decent Nissan leafs. Their improvement on your suspension depends on the initial state of your leafs. Replacing the spring pack is probably the best solution down the road, but costs more.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:47 PM   #4
colorado_buff
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Shocks and AAL's

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka

Did you read the 3rd post down on page 2 of

THIS THREAD ?

It's probably the most info in the SLR AAL's your going to find.
I missed that thread. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by colorado_buff; 02-15-2002 at 02:30 PM.
colorado_buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 02:21 PM   #5
jnapier
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jnapier
A related question

I have lately been casually looking at my leaf springs after hearing so many people complain about the sagging. I am curious what method people have been using to verify whether there springs were in fact sagging. Is there a known measurement from the shackle to the ground for certain X configs? Or is everyone just much better at remembering how the X looked when first purchased? I have towed my boat for two summers now (~4000lbs) so based on everyone's experience it seems like mine must be affected, but I'm not sure. Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks
jnapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 02:39 PM   #6
Antitree_hugger
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Antitree_hugger Send a message via Yahoo to Antitree_hugger
Re: A related question

Quote:
Originally posted by jnapier
I have lately been casually looking at my leaf springs after hearing so many people complain about the sagging. I am curious what method people have been using to verify whether there springs were in fact sagging. Is there a known measurement from the shackle to the ground for certain X configs? Or is everyone just much better at remembering how the X looked when first purchased? I have towed my boat for two summers now (~4000lbs) so based on everyone's experience it seems like mine must be affected, but I'm not sure. Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks
you notice it when you pull up next to some one in the club who has a NEW X and go "shit why is his so much higher than mine?" Then you go to the dealer and start taking measurments of the ones on the lot. then you go to the service manager and go "hey fool why is my X so much lower than those?". Then he goes "your springs are flat, do you offraod it?" you reply "yes" then he goes "too bad sucker!!!!" or if you got a nice manager he goes "we'll order you up some new ones under warrenty"

Ben
Antitree_hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 04:17 PM   #7
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Where is Chuck?

I remember that ChuckH took measurements. In fact, believe the thread is somewhere on this board. However, I remember him warning that even new Xterras had different measurements. I guess some folks got better springs than others from the factory.

I have done some trailer pulling also; however, I can't tell that mine are sagging either. At least my Xterra isn't as bad as alot of 4 Runners I have seen, in which the rear end looks a couple inches lower than the front.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 05:18 PM   #8
Goliath the X
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Goliath the X Send a message via Yahoo to Goliath the X
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG
Where is Chuck?

I remember that ChuckH took measurements. In fact, believe the thread is somewhere on this board. However, I remember him warning that even new Xterras had different measurements. I guess some folks got better springs than others from the factory.

I have done some trailer pulling also; however, I can't tell that mine are sagging either. At least my Xterra isn't as bad as alot of 4 Runners I have seen, in which the rear end looks a couple inches lower than the front.
You are referring to the tragic illness known as 4runneritis.
MAXC
Goliath the X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 06:10 PM   #9
Ag_xterra
AF Regular

i have the fabtech AAL's. got them from xterraparts.com for $65 pair. you can use the stock u-bolts and keep the load leaf on when adding this AAL. the U bolts are just long enough. gained about 2inches at first then the eventually settled down to about 1.5" lift in rear. I've had them for about 10 months now and have no regrets.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:26 PM   #10
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Could you take a picture of the Fabtechs and post it here? It would be good to have for reference.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2002, 08:59 PM   #11
Ag_xterra
AF Regular

here's a picture of the fabtech AAL's. they are longer than the ranchos and a tad thinner. the fabtech allows you to use the stock u-bolts while keeping the load leaf on but just barely.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:02 PM   #12
Ag_xterra
AF Regular

heres a picture of just how much of the u-bolt the nut catches beneath the spring perch. soon i will replace the load leaf with a rancho AAL in hopes to gain another inch or so of lift in the rear.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:56 PM   #13
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Smile Ag?

I was wondering why you kept the factory load leaf? I think everyone in PNWX ditched the load leaf and upgraded their springs and just put in the AAL.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 09:59 PM   #14
Ag_xterra
AF Regular

since it fit i left it on, i did do some occasional towing also. once i get the rancho AAL put on i will ditch the stock load leaf.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:21 PM   #15
Fletch908
AF Newbie

When I took my truck in for the replacement springs the dealer pulled a new Xterra next to mine then said that mine was only about 1/2" lower than the stock truck and wasn't going to replace them under warrenty until I pointed out the diffrence in the tires. Stock Grabbers vs my GY MT/R's. Luckily I got new ones.
Fletch908 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail